• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, when I first came to Japan an oji-san kind of took me under his wing and taught me all about soba. He was a funny old guy who made all different kinds of soba... its been a while since I made my own but I'm going to get back into it now that I'm broke!

BTW, there is a few tricks about the tsuyu rob! But I've been sworn to secrecy!

Originally Posted By: scouser
Originally Posted By: RobBright
as taught to me by my soba teacher.

Thats kind of funny/ thumbsup

Got some pics on facebook, shall post some up here later.

I'm a reading this tapas menu:

- Chorizo pan-fried in cider

- anchovy filets in seasoned vinegar

- Deraza Iberico pork tenderloin in blue cheese sauce.

yummy shame I'm only reading it.

rofl that knife looks LETHAL Rob!

Speaking of Yum Cha...I was at one of my fave shopping centers today (took the boy to get the braces bracket re adhered) and noticed a new addition to the food court. A sushi train. Woo hoo....BUT WAIT...there are 3 other sushi restaurants/stalls in the centre...doesn't that make next to no sense/.....

oooooohhhhhh..... on closer inspection it is a YUM CHA train. doh

Is that not mixing cultures/cuisines?

I thought it was funny..

That's a good one.

There's a sushi train place done by chinese near our place.

It's a double-deckker train.

The bottom is sushi (or what passes for it) and the top is warmed chinese food (almost tapas in presentation)

I don't think it goes well together. German stomach, reckons otherwise, with beer.

"What shall we have for lunch?"

"I know, let's go yum cha"

- 去飲茶 (literal - go drink tea) The process.

But what you are eating once you arrive at the restaurant is Dim Sum -點心 (heart's choice) and drinking tea - 飲茶

So your train there would be a Dim Sum train. 迴轉點心

Originally Posted By: thursday
Don't try that, it'll disappoint as dim sum needs to be served steamed, or fried or cold. doh

Well that was the thing that tipped me off to the fact that this was no Japanese Sushi Train Thursday...there were all these small steamer baskets on the train with a label ahead of them saying what they contained. They also had little fried things on plates - next time I am down there I will whip out a camera and take a pic.

It struck me as BIZARRE. Only time I have ever had Yum Cha was in the hotel we stayed in for a fruit and veg expo in Shenzen. I would like to eat it more often but not had any local recommendations.

On Topic
My lunch today was a lovely Grilled Chicken Low GI salad from Sumo Salad. Was very nice.

OK, it's not quite sinking in.

You GO TO yum cha

but you have Dim Sum.

Shenzhen stuff is actually rubbish. The best dim sum in the world is in HK. The best chefs (cos they all come to HK to do the thing) and the best ingredients.

You'd actually think the best Chinese chefs are in Beijing or Shanghai, but in actual fact, they've all gone to where the money is made and they ply their trade in HK.

yeah...I get it. thumbsup

Yum Cha is going to and Dim Sum is what you eat.

I knew you ate Dim Sum at Yum Cha before today, but I assumed that Dim Sum were only the buns, does that name cover stuff like the chicken feet too or is that a different name. [real questions - i know SFA about this as you can see].

The hotel and restaurant in it were pretty nice, and we enjoyed the food. Never been to Yum Cha in HK, none of the people I have been there with were keen - non adventurous types. rolleyes

I am pretty certain the majority of this type of cuisine in Perth would be rather lacking...

i went with my family in Brissie, my mum's cousin's husband (still with me?) is chinese-malaysian and he took us to this place in Chinatown. Food was great, place was real busy and not with pasty-white tourist types, which I always take to be a good indicator. I just couldn't try those chicken feet though

Yes I do believe on the Eastern side of Aus they have some good places in Chinatown (whether it is Brissy or Sydney...)

There is quite a large Chinese community here, so there MUST be some decent places somewhere...but I always end up going out for dinner with the Japanese expats - so the hence loving all things Japanese cuisine (except for maybe the live stuff...).

You should have tried the chicken feet Tubby. We did, Papa had a little nibble decided he didn't like them and that was that. There was me (the sign language interpreter) keenly aware that our every move was being watched by the no less than TEN waitstaff in the restaurant ... what will these round eye's do next. I worked my way through those chicken feet so as not to appear rude! lol Wont be ordering them again though - that was enough chicken feet for my lifetime.