• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gravad lax or Gravlax. This is a traditional Nordic means of preparing salmon. The salmon is coated with a spice mixture, which often includes dill, sugars, salt, and spices like juniper berry. It is then weighted down to force the moisture from the fish and impart the flavorings. It is often served with a sweet mustard-dill sauce

Lox is salmon fillet that has been cured. In its most popular form, it is thinly sliced—less than 5 millimetres (0.20 in) in thickness—and, typically, served on a bagel, often with cream cheese and capers. Noted for its importance in Ashkenazic Jewish cuisine, the food and its name were introduced to the United States through Eastern European Jewish immigrants. The term lox derives from Lachs in German and ל×ַקס (laks) in Yiddish, meaning "salmon". It is a cognate of Icelandic and Swedish lax, Danish and Norwegian laks, Czech losos, and Old English læx.

Sometimes called regular or belly lox, lox is traditionally made by brining in a solution of water or oil, salt, sugars and spices (the brine). Although the term lox is sometimes applied to smoked salmon, they are different products.

shamelessly stolen from the wiki reference

Originally Posted By: RobBright
Gravlax is pure delicious.

the best way to have salmon.

I had "Gravlax" at Gold Class movies about a year ago. I say "Gravlax" as it was just packet smoked salmon you can get at the supermarket - nothing different. It's a bit like calling custard powder custard with some melted sugar on the top a creme brulee!
Originally Posted By: RobBright
at the beach?

nah mate, had it at my mates house. He lives on the Ground Floor and has a pretty big balcony.
There is one down the beach today though.....dunno if I'll go cos its a bit cold and grey
Originally Posted By: snowbender
I do all the peeling and preparation, the lady cooks it all.
smile

Aren't you a GEM! thumbsup
Wish I could convince any one of the males inhabiting my house to do all that prep work for a roast. Alas, it is rare.
Although #2 son spontaneously began cooking pancakes this morning... (there may be hope yet!)

Late breakfast for me - I think I shall skip lunch today and just move on to dinner.