Hi

At last it looks like our trip is going to be possible in January. Last year were were wiped out by exchange rates and general lack of enough funds!

Got a question about Nozawa and Shiga Kogen. Do the slopes get packed out? And which is usually the better in terms of crowds on peak days?

Cheers!

I assume both those places get a little less traffic then Hakuba and when I got there I was told Id never wait in a lift line. Well that was a lie, I had 6 people in front of me once at the bottom of the mountain on a pow day. Really dissapointing smile

Shiga Kogen is spread over a huge area, so although there are many people there, they are not necessarily in the same place. I was there for New Year last year and we had to wait a significant time for the lift only around lunchtime, so if you manage your time a bit, have lunch when most ppl aren't, then you should be fine

I don't really go peak weekends so I don't really know what it gets like.

But when I have been, both have been very quiet. I think the most I waited for the Nagasaka gondola at Nozawa was 1 minute and never really waited for any other lifts. At Shiga Kogen pretty similar story.

Shiga Kogen is a bigger area and so there is more spread.

The gondola at Nozzle and the top lifts can get pretty big queues.

I would personally say that Shiga kogen has less crowd issues, but it's not a massive point.

Went to Nozawa and Shiga Kogen early Feb this year found Nozawa only got busy on saturday when all the city folk come out to ski shop and soak in the onsens stay saturday night and go home around 1.00pm on sunday.same at most japan resorts.Shiga was great so big but we had quiet a few schools there in early feb not to much of a problem once you got away from the main area. Both where great resorts to visit and so different to each other. thumbsup

• 3 weeks later...

What is Noz village like when the lifts stop? Presumably there are a few izakayas and bars etc, being that its an actual village and not just a ski village.

In the pics I've seen of Nozawa Onsen at night, the streets seem lined with stores, bars, restaurants, and something that looked like food stalls like you see at markets.

Also, from the map we got from Mark at Lodge Nagano there seems to be about 28 various restaurants and bars with all sorts of different foods.

We picked Noz because it actually seems to cater really well for people like me and my fiancee - we like to try new food and eat out heaps, so would hate a place where we were restricted to our hotel at the end of each day.

Great choice minty many great places to eat.Its the best town we have been to at the ski feilds so far. Try the corn staight from the cooking onsen and the crepe shop both mouth watering. plus many places to eat we tried a different one each night.Have a great trip highfive