Flets hikari - how much do you pay?

I was meaning to get this going a fair bit sooner but didn't get round to it. Anyway just called NTT up to ask about getting flets hikari connection at home.

I was told it would cost 6700 yen a month plus 1570 yen for the phone, including 500 yens worth of calls.

Thats more expensive than I pay now, but calls nationwide would become much cheaper so I presume in the long run the total would be better and of course the connection much faster.

It's just that the prices on the site are cheaper than that. So a bit confused.

For those with flets hikari, how much you paying?

Those numbers ring a bell. I think you can get cheaper if you are in a different kind of building.

I have noticed that the calls part is much cheaper - I call places in Niigata, Gunma and Nagano a fair bit and that has come down a fair bit. Connection is nice and fast too.

My total is something like 5200. I don't have a land line telephone and I live in a house. We actually just got our line hooked up last month because of the free installation promotion. I think after 24 months the price goes up... but we can cancel our contract after 18 months without penalty. It's really all quite confusing, isn't it!?

I'm similar to BM I think, around Y5,000 per month and I don't have a land line and live in a house. My wife takes care of all bills and things so I never really know what anything costs...

So many things about this confuse me.

What do you mean by "I don't have a land line"?

If I have hikari flets, does that mean that I don't have a land line?

confused

A landline I guess means a phone line, which is different from optical cable coming in.

We also don't have a landline, instead, just a fibre optic cable, and two IP phones.

Hey, sorry!

Ok, what I mean by a land line is a telephone in my house. I use only cell phones and voip. The land line uses the same telephone jack as the internet. Basically, the NTT dudes showed up and ran some kind of fancy new line into the house... the hook up looked the same as the old telephone one except that it had a lan cable coming out of the bottom of it that is hooked into our modem.

Also, it is Flets Hikari Something (there seem to be several different packages on offer). Of course factors like the region you are in, type of dwelling, service provider and add ons like having a land line all change the final price. From what I understand I could have opted to get a telephone installed at the same time for like a 1000Y more a month...

• 2 weeks later...

About 8000 yen in the building I am in all included.

Doesn't seem to be a way to get it down from there, though the out of ken calls come in cheap so it is worth it in the end

I am paying about 8500/ month for hikari internet / land line telephone and Hikari ski TV combined and I am in a private house.

That price includes the wireless modem rental. So I can use my comp anywhere in the house or outside a no need for a cable.

There are various packages and the price varies between companies.

I think I am using OCN hikari.

Originally Posted By: snowdude
Yes I mean ski TV on hikari, it has all the different channels such as national geographic, BBC, FOX TV, CNN, sports, music etc.

its 8000 yen for the internet and hikari tv but no house phone. no more discovery channel/animal planet/cnn j as of march 31st from our basic channels. instead, the golf channel and fashion tv are added. lame.

Yes I was not happy about them taking away discovery which was my favourite channel

Recently Gaorca or however its spelt are shpwing all kinds of sports including boxing and motor racing.

I've noticed a big change when I download or stream something now that I have hikari. It really depends on what you use the internet for... I don't think you'll notice much difference if you are just surfing...

Originally Posted By: rach
If I change over to hikari, will I notice the web to be much faster?

Depends what you change from, but download is very very fast, even with wireless I am hitting in excess of 1 MB / sec download speeds, and considerbly faster if I use the hard wire.
Surfing the net depends on the sites sometimes and the locations of the servers, but normally when I click on a site it opens instantly, not even a slight delay, even graphic intense pages.
I guess I am used to the speed of Hikari, because on the occasion that a page takes more than 1 second to load I complain it is too slow!!!