In the last 6 months, six people that I know well have been diagnosed with different kinds of cancer, and two have already died. Three of them are admittedly what you would called 'old', but one is in his 30s and the other two are in their early 50s.

Of course this doesn't mean anything concerning my own health but somehow I'm feeling quite down about the whole thing.

I suppose as you get older (though I am not "old") this kind of news only increases. A sad realisation in the last half year.

sadface

Sorry for the depressing subject but I'm feeling rather down myself about things in general at the moment.

I had a situation like that about two years ago, an ex student I was teaching she was in her late 40's / early 50's and looked as healthy as can be and was always really genki.

Any I had been teaching her for a while and one week when I came for my class, one of the other students told me, oh the ..... student died of cancer last weekend!!!

I couldn't believe it, apparently her body was riddled with cancer, but she didn't know it and had no side effects, nothing!!

Just goes to show!

It was actually quite shocking to hear that, especially when just one week previously I was talking to her and she seemed so well!

Makes you wonder snowdude.

With something like cancer it can be long, drawn out and painful.

Would you prefer not to know until you had but mere days or hours, or would you prefer to know earlier (assuming it is terminal either way) and have a long battle ahead but have that time to say what you need to say and do what you need to do before passing....

I honestly can't say what I would prefer.

Positive thoughts for all those effected by illness.

This sucks, sadly know the feeling. My mate who was I living with buried his girlfriend at 30. 3 of my female mates under 40 have breast cancer, one under 30. The youngest one is unlikely to see 2011 and of the other two one seems over it and the other has minimal time. My girlfriend's dad will be dead in the next week or so. To add to all this a close friend called last week to say she has HIV early stages of AIDS.

Sadly Im sure there are others on here more affected then me. Hugs for you.

GIRLS GET YOUR BREASTS CHECKED OFTEN. Dont blow off a small lump. My mate Emma did and she is the one under 30....... who also has two kids under 5. EVERYONE GET YOUR SKIN CHECKS.

After thrashing myself in every which way including hideous sun damage from surfing and god knows what internally from living a life, I am a tad worried too, but not as much as I am for mates.

Window Cleaner not sure what advice I can offer mate, except Im now doing a year a in China so I can then chase my dreams. I do what ever I can for these guys too which seems to help both parties....

I had a good friend die of it. Was a really rare form, but nonetheless tragic. Makes you realize how much we should live up life while we are here.

Had a bunch of family members/family friends pass away from it also. Terrible, terrible thing.

Pete,

Not often one hears about HIV infection these days... seems to have dropped off most peoples radar. As a 40-something I distinctly remember when there was Armageddon type fears surrounding the illness. The good news for your friend is the advancements in treatment - even those with symptoms can be returned to good health much of the time now.

Another breast cancer diagnosis in my circle of friends today (well she found out last week...) - mid 40s. Did not show up on Mammogram...this is an interesting point. Mammogram screening is not foolproof - I would recommend thermography as an annual adjunct to a Pap Smear for all women. The first test sets a baseline (but would detect any issues also) - but future scans are compared to the first and the most recent to see if there has been any subtle changes. This kind of imaging has been shown to pick up cancers that Mammography and Ultrasound has missed. Clearly if a Doctor orders a Mammogram or Ultrasound do that too but an annual thermogram can't hurt!!

I think I might organize a women's health morning - book out the local Breast Check Clinic and Doc for Pap Smear and Bloods and round up the girls, followed by a boozy lunch to reward ourselves for being so proactive.

Good on ya Mama re getting the girls together for some check ups then a big arvo on the SSB smile The sad thing about my mate with HIV was she was having STD checks each year at the same time as her pap smear but they didnt do HIV. Doctor seems to think she got it 5-10 years ago. You are right they said she has a mimimum of 10 years due to the new drugs, even up to 20.

I must admit I did freak out when she called me as we had been intimate about 3 years ago. That was a tense weekend until I could call the Doctor on Monday and check I had a test myself last year.

I was told by my doctor in the uk (around 1996 or so) that women basically can't give HIV to men during normal intercourse.

Interesting background to this is that my girlfriend wouldn't "do the deed" until I had an HIV test, despite me being only 16 and only been with 1 girl!

Smart girl bobby.

No reflection on you - but she was looking out for herself. Gotta give her credit for that. Too many girls at that age are more worried about the guy dumping them to even ask them to wear a prophylactic.

But the test isn't that accurate an indicator as it can take up to 6 months to test positive after infection - or so I was led to believe WAY back. In my work I came across a couple of cases that required testing - fortunately all came back negative - but they had to have repeat tests at 3m and 6m before being given the all clear.

What an uneven day. One of my mates emailed me saying she is responding really well to treatment, stoked for her. On the flip side my Girlfriend's dad died tonight. Not at all eased by the fact Im in BF Nowhere in China and cant get back to Aus. Feeling odd.

Sorry to hear that Pete.

Make sure you call your GF lots, send her flowers or something, she will understand.

Glad to hear one friend is responding to treatment - good news indeed.