Anyone use voice recognition software?

A friend of mine has something called Naturally Speaking on here computer and showed me how she can basically take into a headset at normal speed and her what she says comes up instantly on here PC in Word. It looked great and really appeals.

Anyone else use something like this to 'dictate' to their computer?

Tried NS a while ago. It was OK IF (and only if) I always spoke at the same speed, and with the same intonation and did not have any nasal or throat infections (which cause a change in the sound of the words.) And, background noises are a major problem.

It also doesn't like technical words. So I guess it depends on your application.

Me, I prefer to type (badly, I know) and then correct rather than speak and then correct.

Old-fashioned, me!

pie-eater,

Yep, that's the trouble - works well in a QUIET room, no blooming use in an open plan office environment, and even worse in front of the TV (which is where I do most computer work at home, on the lappy with the TV on, just like now!)

Trained it with my "normal" voice, in a normal environment - can't get a totally quiet room - and then found that it didn't want to work when I had a slight cold (changed the sound and pitch of the voice).

WOFTAM.