• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some that's certainly true, although I'd really question how much of a true cultural experience you'd ever get in any ski resort anywhere.

Obviously though not all are overly concerned about the cultural aspects. Many are coming on possibly their one big holiday of the year and they want a whole range of accom options from backpacker to ultra luxury penthouses and food options and a happening apres ski scene to party the night away. Hirafu certainly offers this in abundance.

When I started working here prior to western style accomm developments the biggest complaints we'd get were to do with bedding and the overall standard of the accomm. Westerners on the whole don't like sleeping on Japanese futons and many of the wealthier international ski travellers are used to staying in very nice accomm options at other big international resorts. It was from complaints like this that a few astute business people saw an opportunity to offer a different standard and style of accomm in the resort. 6 or so years on and 100's of millions of dollars later Hirafu is what it is today. We're still a long way from offering the sorts of services that can be found at some of the worlds great ski resorts but I really think it's a good thing for Japanese skiing as a whole the international exposure that Niseko has created for the industry.

But what "cultural experiences" could be gotten from Canadian or US resorts (for example). Ski visitors TEND to be wealthy caucasians, so will be coming from countries that have very similar cultural norms to the big ski destinations (US and Canada). I think a major thing is that the modern US and Canada has a short history compared to places like Japan, so if people can combine their love of skiing and able to get a taste of an ancient culture then I think it appeals to a lot of people. Europe has a long history and so can offer slightly different cultural experiences too

The thing is defining what is a cultural experience. It's different for everyone. I often think many people coming to Hokkaido have expectations that just don't hold for here. Hokkaido has been settled by the Japanese for less time than Aus has been settled by whities and a lot less time than the US has been settled by Europeans. So if you're after that ancient cultural aspect you just aren't going to find it anywhere here. There just aren't any temples or houses or anything that are 100's or 1000's of years old up this way.

For some people it appears to just be the absence of large numbers of westerners or the absence of western influences. I think many like to think that a ski trip to Japan is some sort of major adventure and get a little dissapointed when they find themselves surrounded by 1000's of other equally 'adventurous' travellers as well.

For some it's just trying new foods and struggling a little with the language.

For a lot of people though they don't want too much of an adventure at all, they don't want to struggle at all. They just want to get away and do everything as easily as possible. This is one of reasons Niseko has become so popular, because it's just so easy to book and organise all the services you require during a trip. Pretty much everything can be organised in english from the time you touch down in Chitose to the time you leave. One thing we've definitely found here is that your typical wealthy international ski traveller expects accommodation options and services that just can't be found at most ski resorts in Japan. Even Niseko doesn't quite offer all the services that many expect to find in a ski resort.

I must admit I do find it all a bit difficult to understand as I have never travelled for cultural aspects. I travel mostly to see, climb and ski mountains. If there happens to be some cool cultural stuff there as well that's just purely a bonus.

There's still a lack of adequate day care facilities for one. There's definitely not enough shops for all the rich wives to spend money in whilst not skiing. In Hirafu there's not really any good snowplay areas for those who aren't really into the skiing or with young kids. There's not many activities to do if the lifts are all on wind hold. There really should be some ski paths with bridges over the main road (343) so people staying lower in the village can ski most of the way back to their accomm. There's little ability to store skis at the base of the lifts so you don't have to take them back to your accomm. That's just a few things right off the top of my head. Could think of more I'm sure.

All good idea's GN.

Personally I found enough culture mixed in with my ski holiday in Niseko ---> I couldn't see a Macca's anywhere, but the Ramen was mighty good. And while I could still get a decent Ramen in Hakuba, there was Macca's in all it's glory. I don't see a whole heap of cultural difference. Maybe I would if I lived in both spots, but as a visitor it was same same but different.

I found English speakers in most destinations - but sometimes I had to struggle to make myself understood and not just in Japan...Switzerland was confusing - is it German, is it Swiss-German --> no no...that guy is speaking French, and Luigi over there is speaking Italian [doh, I give up].

Honestly, if you are on the 'culture' bandwagon chances are you wont find that at a ski resort. And if you are a wild untouched ski terrain with no crowds kinda skier then the bigger popular resorts anywhere in the world are probably not for you.

I would guess that one of the contributing reasons for Nozawa being very popular is that it is a small little traditional village at the base of the mountain with onsen dotted around and people walking around in the evening in yukata. Temples nearby etc as well.

The thing for me too is that because I live here I do get a very different perspective on things. The hordes of foreign tourists are only here for about 10 weeks. The rest of the year this is idyllic rural Japan. Those 10 weeks though bring in at least 80% of the total annual revenue for most businesses here so it's hard for us to be overly critical of the popularity of the resort with foreigners. I wouldn't be able to live here all year if it wasn't for that 10 weeks!

On the subject of Switzerland, a bit off topic but - anyone else find that people there generally weren't particularly helpful/friendly anyway? I feel in Japan people are generally very polite and friendly - exceptions of course - but in Switzerland we were a bit put off with some attitude we got. Perhaps it was all exceptions too, but it was the general impression we got.

I found people in Switzerland reasonably friendly, but we had come from Paris (via Milan) where the locals were nothing short of RUDE.

There were some real pr1cks on the mountain - especially on the little narrow windy trail home - I had one 40 something skier actually PUSH my youngest over as he went past just simply because he didn't trust snowboarders not to pull out on him... the boy had managed to get down safely to that point without cutting anyone off so it was totally not called for.

But apart from a bit of on piste arrogance and snowboarder disdain I found the locals quite friendly.

I suppose there's a lot of luck involved in who you get to interact with.

Having said that, the guys at Tourism Associations and places that deal with tourists for their job should really be of the friendly disposition.

I have never been to Niseko.

I had only recently heard of it much also as it was on the local Niigata news about resorts in this area looking at the Niseko success with foreigners and also more Japanese becoming interested because of that.

I might have to take a trip to check it out, sounds interesting.

And of course I have always heard how excellent the snow is up there.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm afraid that you might be somewhat disappointed in the availability of good cheeses up there. It's a problem throughout Japan, Niseko no different.

Things have apparently improved with things on the menus in restaurants though.

I met a lady at Water Polo training this week originally from a town close to Nagano. Her son was new to the Winter training, and she got chatting to me after I got out from swimming laps. She had a lot of questions - as one does when you start something new.

Turns out she went to Niseko 20 years ago but has not been there since.

After chatting with me she is planning a trip back to check it out, and is really looking forward to seeing the changes that have taken place in that time.

It is indeed a small world.