• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a train that goes from the valley floor a few km's down from Thredbo resort through a tunnel in the mountain up to Perisher resort. Saves time on quite a long and arduous drive between the resorts.

and theres no overnight parking at perisher, so you have to train if youre not a daytripper.

and no car access at all to Blue Cow or Charlotte Pass, so you have to train those links, even if youve driven to Perisher

Here's the Alpine Railway to Perisher and Blue Cow:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skitube_Alpine_Railway

It's 49% owned by a Japanese company - we didn't know that.

MrsBear - because Perisher is so big (in acreage) where you ski is very dependent on the conditions of the day. Front Valley is the last place to be.

There is a huge amount of offpiste trees (at all gradients) & also some safe out of bounds runs.

Gareth: No Vid. I WISH! = it was hysterical. I did get some vid of my friend learning to ride in it - I will try and find it. It was blowy but the wind gusts were something else!!! The worst part of falling on my back was the massive crammed full backpack I had on - my OGIO Patrol backpack was STUFFED full with the 3 other ladies handbags, water bottles, etc etc etc as there were no lockers available to hire, and as girls do... they had all barr the kitchen sink! Me? I packed light. Lucky that!

Hokkaidough: I should have said skitube station..typing too late at night for my brain! One train, thru a tunnel/mountain with carpark below the snowline and before the National Park Entry gates (where they charge you a fee), and terminating in Perisher. I have now trained and driven....I prefer to drive, but everyone has to take the skitube once.

blu: I was really keen to explore PB on that trip, but we got real unlucky with the weather. There was no going past the Front Valley - everything was shut....it was disappointing, but we stuck with the newbie girls and cracked up at them struggling to learn in what equated to a full on blizzard ---> and then we called it a day and had a few beers. I did find a little wind blown stash in between some tree's which was lovely (and sheltered) - shame about the exposed bulletproof ice either side of it! But you get that. And I have to say - even with the total waste of $$ on lift tickets etc we still had an great day, I think that was the day we went back to our accommodation via the schnapps distillery (across the road) and drank 2 bottles of schnapps, 4 bottles of champagne and a few gluewheins! Was a corker!

That's a big call to ski in a blizzard.

Best day at Perisher is Wednesday (crowd wise).

Mama, you have a lifestyle to be envied.

Originally Posted By: calibber
Hey don't forget NZ!

wave

Okeydokey...fixed it for ya smile

Getting excited for the season '10 now.

Accommodation is booked for the July trip at least - got a list of ladies for the girls trip so long that I can potentially take two trips and separate the newbies from the better riders.
Car for July is booked.
Seasons Passes bought.
Plans to meet friends being made.

Whoop...time to get the ski fitness back - I have been a complete sloth!

I had a bit of a problem with my left arm after coming home from Hakuba - in hindsight I should have gone and had an xray early on, as it seems it may have been a stress fracture - but as one tends to do I just put up with it and avoided anything that hurt my arm.

Next to no exercise is the result - and now my KNEE's hurt! Bugger! It really is true that if you don't keep fit as your get older stuff starts to hurt and breakdown.

Arm is healed - time to get back into action - no excuses, no more half hearted efforts. REGIME TIME!

No more this:

sloth.jpg

Time to go all

adolf-hitler.jpg

on my self!

Fair few Aussies to NZ.

My eldest two boys have both been to Cardrona QT twice - but the rest of the bear family hasn't yet.

Not sure how many do the reverse trip though...

Originally Posted By: Nisoko
Do many Aussies take the canoe/dinghy over to NZ - and vice versa - to enjoy the goodies in each others country?

Well depending on what time you go and how you budget it. A trip from Sydney to Queenstown can be about the same price (duty free grog FTW) as going locally

I chose NZ over Oz last year.

Cost wise is about the same for one week when you add on airfares. If you go for two weeks then it works out a little cheaper in NZ.

Plus the heli skiing in NZ is a bonus. smile not an option in Oz.

Originally Posted By: Mantas
I chose NZ over Oz last year.
Cost wise is about the same for one week when you add on airfares. If you go for two weeks then it works out a little cheaper in NZ.

Didn't really know that, might look into it myself though I don't have 2 weeks to play with.