Is the excitement for the '10 Aussie snow season building to fever pitch? wink

For Aussie SJers on here, keep us posted while we sweat it out over summer.

PS It's silly you get snow in summer.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's already been a couple of dustings up high. Top of Thredbo had a little dusting on Sunday night, all melted later in the day though. A possibly decent fall of snow may come through around 7-8th May. Early falls in Aus like most places though do little more than just get people excited and are no indication of a good season to come. The drought in Aus appears to lessening though in most areas and I think there's a reasonable possibility that this season could be half decent. A good season in Aus is of course receiving about as much snow as Niseko gets in one month throughout their whole season razz

• SnowJapan Moderator

We do now Mamabear!

Put highfive between : and : or use the Smilies icon in the menu when you post a message.

highfive

Click to reveal..
Here ends our site updates for '10/'11. wink

Happy to see the Remarkables in NZ are starting to get some over night dustings. Roll on july. smile

were patiently waiting - the season goes too quick here.

GN - should get a 2 meter base here this year (you may chuckle, but we're all happy about that).

Should get a 2m base? You obviously have confidence in some long term outlooks. Besides the fact that there's hardly ever been an Australian snow season where the forecast wasn't always expected to be good (gets you guys to lay money down on bookings pre season) I really do hope you get at least 2m. 90-92 was the last time where Aus had 3 seasons in a row that each had in excess of a 2m cover. 3 years that I had some awesome skiing in Aus. Be great if you actually had a few good seasons in a row again, been awhile from what I can tell.

Yep not caring what the snow is like is a very good attitude to have when planning on skiing at Aus resorts. Also helps not to consider how expensive the lift passes are for the quality of the snow and certainly not to think too much about the cost of eating out or the accommodation which by any stretch of the imagination could only be described as exhorbitant. If you're strong willed enough to put out of your mind all these considerations then a trip to an Aus ski resort is guaranteed to be awesome! highfive

oh you big spoil sport GN.

Aussie Skiing is well worth the trip....and I say this as a devoted J-snow lover, with my eye's wide open. Is it cheap - no. Is it always fresh powder on a blue bird day - no .... but I have not had a crap trip yet.

I just like teasing you guys MB. I know it's not that bad, I mean you guys get about 3 or 4 days each season where the snow is almost as good as Niseko on an average day. razz

It's different.

But not always worse.

Nothing quite beats the rush of deep light Niseko POW, now, does it...but there are a few things about Aus (and Thredbo in particular) that I really love - and every time I go I discover more reasons to keep going back.

The hot basic cinnamon covered donuts near the ticket office/ski hire on Friday Flat - omg...after a few smashing runs down High Noon there is nothing quite like a hot fresh amazing donut, just like you used to get when you were kids.

High Noon (not sure what it is about that run, but I absolutely LOVE it!

Wild Brumby Schnapps Distillery and the friendly folk who are more than happy to ply you with booze and remember you when you come back the next season!

High Noon. (Yes, worthy of mention again)

Taking a shortcut to the Kosi lift by jumping on the end of the Supertrail from Crackenback Ridge, rather than walking into the village.

High Noon (I do love it so).

Drinks at The Denman with Ed and Judy! wave

High Noon... (especially on a powder day)

The amazing patterns on the Snow Gums made by previous years snow sitting on the bark...

High Noon.... lol

wink

Nah....just my favorite run at Thredbo.

I really don't know why that is... It is an Intermediate run, a little on the high intermediate side - on an icy day the steeper bits are a bit much for a new intermediate, but on a powder day it is bliss for all.

I had my first EUREKA moment on that run. We ended up there after a snowfall and my instructor from the previous day (on Greens/Icy/not a good showing by the uncoordinated Mamabear) was concerned I would make it down. But it just clicked. He burst out laughing and said "Who ARE you and when did you suddenly learn to snowboard like that!"

Maybe it is that euphoric moment where it all clicked and I fell in love with the sport that keeps me loving High Noon. I really don't know. But it is not a day on the snow at Thredders if I have not had at least one run down High Noon!

lol

I know what you mean. Sometimes the strangest of things become favourites for one reason or another. Not that that run is 'strange' of course.

Lets try this new smiley thingy out highfive

I absolutely love skiing in Aus but just not at the resorts. As I've said previously Aus has world class backcountry and an incredibly unique alpine environment, snow gums are very cool. It's just the resorts are amongst the worlds most expensive to ski at and frankly neither offer world class snow or terrain and bugger all vertical. But if you're not into the backcountry and confined to lifts then it's all you've got and you may as well enjoy it I guess. Or if you're not as rich as MB who can have multiple ski vacations each year both OS and at home then I'd suggest going OS only where the snow, terrain and value is just sooo much better (although I wouldn't suggest Scotland for that OS trip lol )