• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Live in Dunedin - weekends in Queenstown.

They opened Coronet Peak on Saturday to fine weather and just a bit too thin snow. Sunday and Monday were whiteout blizzard and today they had an avalanche in the back bowls that took a patroller for a ride.

More snow on the way later in the week too.

Originally Posted By: roscoe
Looks like we are going heliskiing with a Queenstown based company in NZ.nervous and excited all at the same time. Thanks for the gentle cheerspush Mantas

You'll have a great day mate. Have you got a company in mind?

I did a day with them last season. Good choice thumbsup What's a bet you'll pay for extra runs if given the choice. razz

Here's a crappy vid of it. they took us to some pretty tame slopes as the Avi danger was very high.

It is now snowing in Oz - the winter coat is going down just in time for the Opening Weekend.

Wish I could be over there - Papa was trying to convince me to get on a plane on Friday - but I can't lift my arm over my head...so I think that is a little silly!

But it is GOOD TO SEE smile

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
It is now snowing in Oz - the winter coat is going down just in time for the Opening Weekend.

My winter clothes got put away a few months ago.

still confused

Chatted to our pals today while we were cheering our boys on at Rugby. Papa asked "Where are you right now?"

Answer "The Cruiser Chair" (Thredbo)

Me: B@ST@RDS!!

Apparently the snow was good and they were having a ball.

I can't wait!

Originally Posted By: Captain Stag
Live in Dunedin - weekends in Queenstown.

They opened Coronet Peak on Saturday to fine weather and just a bit too thin snow. Sunday and Monday were whiteout blizzard and today they had an avalanche in the back bowls that took a patroller for a ride.
More snow on the way later in the week too.

where do you live in Dunno`s Stag ?- I heard a 5cm dump overnight got the punters exicited in QTown -I`m sure that will improve come August though - it`s a great place isn`t it
Originally Posted By: Mantas
I did a day with them last season. Good choice thumbsup What's a bet you'll pay for extra runs if given the choice. razz

Here's a crappy vid of it. they took us to some pretty tame slopes as the Avi danger was very high.

Thought it was an awesome vid Mantas - nice soundtrack as well !

We got a wee house at St Clair - doesn't stop us from driving to the beach though as the surf is usually better elsewhere.

Saturday at Coronet Peak was pretty good for NZ. For the first time in my history of going there they underreported the amount of snow AND there was good vis while it was snowing AND there were hardly any people there. It wasn't Japan by any stretch but in the right places we couldn't feel the hard snow below. Pretty good for a day when the report only claimed 5cm (at the bottom).

Enjoyed the video Mantas looks like fun the chopper ride looks unreal.13 days untill we are there[not counting] Captain Stag we love your country this will be our 5th trip there.Been lucky enough to ski at Whakapapa and Turoa on the nth island Mount Hutt,Cardrona and Treble cone on the main land.Only been to Queenstown in summer it is so spectacular will be even better in winter.Would love to win the lotto and own a place over there most likely Wanaka.Might catch you on the chair lift cheers

Gd stuff Capt - I know St Clair well - esplanade, cliffs road, jacobs ladder etc - nice part of the world -

Yeah Wanaka is great hey Roscoe - Even if you do win the lotto you might want to win again for Wanaka - nearby Luggate and Hawea are other options - I think Cromwell could be the next wee town to take off - represents good value there now I think

spent ALOT of time in Wanaka in my youth - TC is a great hill - lots of politics within management / locals etc - it`s just a wee place your backyard - on a really good day I think it`s on par with any resort in japan for different reasons - hope you have a good break there this year you and Mantas

Hi boardbaka yes I have checked out those other areas but Wanakas still the favourite. Went to TC but it was not at its best the snow was very wet did all the runs on the bottom bowl and went home. top bowl was not open that day it was a shame it looks good.Will be trying out coronet and remarkables on the 27th for a week have not been to them before let the adventure begin.

banner

I spent a month in Aus last winter. Had fun though the snow wasn't as good as I have been used to in Canada and Europe. Really wanted to get across to NZ but couldn't make it.

Looking pretty grim at most Aus resorts currently with the only skiing on areas of snowmaking (fine it you're a beginner but crap otherwise). Southern resorts getting a bit of snow today though.

I hope roscoe took his touring gear with him... the ski resorts have good cover for this time of year but to get decent snow last weekend we had to hike to sheltered S or E facing slopes. (or his park skis, there is a little park up and running)(or his speed racer skis for coronet peak)

Not looking like there will be any new snow till after the weekend either.