Want something to do in summer but think skating is best left to the kids, and longboarding is a bit... well, you know...

Heres the explanation:

And heres some cute videos of it in action:

Theres none in korea to my annoyance, so had a couple of days in osaka this last weekedn and HUNTED the damn thing down. Found one in namba parks if youre interested, but its 75cm (too small for a fat ass like me). Seriously, these things look awesome.

its basically the snowboard shop there. reece or something like that. They said "ah yeah, sorry but japanese people arent fat" hehe, i kid. The woman there was really sweet. I promise shell remember a fat gaijin asking about it on saturday (i ran all around osaka trying to find one dammit!) smile

its on the basement1 floor. Namba parks is HUGE so i advise you find the information desk first and theyll point you in the right direction.

haha! there speaks the voice of someone way too old to be doing stuff on tarmac. Get some pads man! Im definitely getting one of these. I think you can find them on yahoo auctions pretty cheap as well... well cheaper than retail. But of course youll be needing nihongo jouzu skills.

Originally Posted By: ippy
haha! there speaks the voice of someone way too old to be doing stuff on tarmac. Get some pads man! Im definitely getting one of these. I think you can find them on yahoo auctions pretty cheap as well... well cheaper than retail. But of course youll be needing nihongo jouzu skills.

Nope - just someone with common sense and a dread of picking out gravel with tweezers.

oh you guys! wheres your pioneer spirit! If it was common sense, i wouldnt even get on snowboard,. I mean honestly, strap yourself onto a plank of wood on a near frictionless surface and bomb down a hill? Are you serious???? You could get hurt!!! biggrin

I was thinking about this the other day, I'd love to give it a go, but man the penalties for messing up are HUGE!!! At least with snowboarding, your edge gives you a brake, how exactly do you stop them things?? I've tried mountain boarding which is fun but difficult to stop (you have to turn uphill,, quickly!!) and as an adult I tried to do skateboarding and BMXing and ended up hurting my ankle pretty badly. If I can wear a full on padded suit, with no cars coming the other way....I'd give it a go!!

its basically the same as pulling a hockey stop on a snowboard believe it or not. Theres a moment in the first video where they show that very thing. A dudes flying down the hill, and a car pulls out on him, bam! stops. Basically your normal wheels are kind of lifted off yoru edges when you ride dead flat, but when you want to spin etc you throw down a bit of weight on your edges. It brings the wheels into action as edges. And its that pressure on the edge that brings you to a dead stop when you need it. As with everything, you stay in yoru limits and ride safely. In much the same way as someone in their first year of snowboarding is unlikely to be doing backcountry, none of us will be doing what some of those guys are doing for a while yet. smile

Originally Posted By: ippy
its on the basement1 floor. Namba parks is HUGE so i advise you find the information desk first and theyll point you in the right direction.

Yeah, I know Osaka (particularly Namba) more than I do my home town. XD

I didn't realise that you could get a freeboard there >_>

yeah. I need an 80 or an 83 otherwise im just gonna wash (and probably get myself killed when i try and pull and emergency stop but just slide through). I mean i COULD size down to a 75 but that limits me to freeestyle and no real carving smile However, i should point out ive only seen the videos, its not like i know anything at all about it outside of that.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
rather find some snow somewhere in the opposite Hemisphere thanks.
Or Wakeboard.

None to keen on gravel grazes myself.

Yes I am old too. grandpa

I would just like to point out that I have ACTUALLY TRIED the freeboard.

My #2 son bought one a year or so ago. He doesn't ride it now, and was dead keen to ride it back then, but to get the most out of it you need sealed hilly roads with no cars, and a way to get back up to the top. Best few days he had was hanging with a mate who is a national level bmx rider who towed him up hill some of the time to save the walk time.

I stacked it.
I hurt myself.
I will stick to the snowboard.

I got a longboard and I love it! I go shopping on it, Missus and I go for a cruise during the days in summer. The problem is finding that right hill. Also I can't slide to stop it so that really limits where I can go. This freeboard really fixes that braking issue but I don't like short boards.