I thought that foul was a revenge attack. I forget what happened, but about 2-3 mins before the foul, Ballack did something mean to that guy and I was thinking "he is gonna do you for that" and sure enough he went right over the top of the ball on Ballack and puts him out of the WC. I dont have youtube access at work so cant check it out.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't wish an injury on any player.

But. I do dislike him very much. So I will enjoy a small chuckle and then feel slightly guilty about it. Or maybe not.

Apparently, England will beat Spain in the final.

Proof:

Lord Triesman can stop beating himself up, Fabio Capello can order the prosecco and the Three Lions can brush their manes and practise their most triumphant roars. After 44 years of hurt, humiliation and hideous tie-in anthems, England are once again going to win the World Cup.

Or so the theory goes. The remarkably bold claim, which follows a dark few days for English football, has been made by a team of Stakhanovite number-crunchers at JP Morgan.

In the kind of manoeuvre more usually executed by young maths teachers to demonstrate that numbers needn't be dull, two of the company's analysts have applied quantitative methodology to the beautiful game and come up with a model to predict the tournament result.

Matthew Burgess and Marco Dion have taken the methodology, which uses mathematical data to gauge investment opportunities, and performed a substitution of their own, replacing balance sheets and profit margins with Fifa rankings, historical results and the latest bookies' odds. Sweeping aside concern over the state of Wayne Rooney's groin, Ledley King's knee and Gareth Barry's ankle, they concluded in a 69-page note to City investors that the Three Lions would maul Spain in the final on 11 July, with Holland coming third.

"Having developed a rather successful quant model over the years," they explained modestly, "we intend to introduce it to our readers and also use its methodology to apply it to a fruitful field for statistics: football and the World Cup."

Although the analysts acknowledge that Brazil are the strongest team, their model predicts overall victory for England – who will play Algeria, Slovenia and the US in the group stages – thanks to the fixture schedule.

Based on today's odds at Betfair, England are third favourites to lift the trophy, with Spain the punters' top pick ahead of Brazil. The latest official Fifa rankings, meanwhile, put England in eighth position and Spain in second.

Given that quantitative methodology is used widely in the City, there could be red faces at JP Morgan (and a few concerned investors) if England crash out on 23 June after a shock defeat to Slovenia.

But as befits conscientious financial analysts, Burgess and Dion stressed that the accuracy of predictions about global sporting events could go down as well as up. Anyway, they said, the report should be taken with a pinch of salt. They saw it as "an ideal opportunity to light-heartedly explain quantitative techniques".

mcdonald-promo-cups1.jpg

These glasses look good. I have 4/6 so far. Will have them all by next week.

The idea is to fill them all up with beer for a match and have 3 the first half and 3 the second half.

For gaems with extra time added, the glasses need re-filling.

Originally Posted By: 2pints,mate
Apparently, England will beat Spain in the final.

Proof:

Lord Triesman can stop beating himself up, Fabio Capello can order the prosecco and the Three Lions can brush their manes and practise their most triumphant roars. After 44 years of hurt, humiliation and hideous tie-in anthems, England are once again going to win the World Cup.

Or so the theory goes. The remarkably bold claim, which follows a dark few days for English football, has been made by a team of Stakhanovite number-crunchers at JP Morgan.

In the kind of manoeuvre more usually executed by young maths teachers to demonstrate that numbers needn't be dull, two of the company's analysts have applied quantitative methodology to the beautiful game and come up with a model to predict the tournament result.

Matthew Burgess and Marco Dion have taken the methodology, which uses mathematical data to gauge investment opportunities, and performed a substitution of their own, replacing balance sheets and profit margins with Fifa rankings, historical results and the latest bookies' odds. Sweeping aside concern over the state of Wayne Rooney's groin, Ledley King's knee and Gareth Barry's ankle, they concluded in a 69-page note to City investors that the Three Lions would maul Spain in the final on 11 July, with Holland coming third.

"Having developed a rather successful quant model over the years," they explained modestly, "we intend to introduce it to our readers and also use its methodology to apply it to a fruitful field for statistics: football and the World Cup."

Although the analysts acknowledge that Brazil are the strongest team, their model predicts overall victory for England – who will play Algeria, Slovenia and the US in the group stages – thanks to the fixture schedule.

Based on today's odds at Betfair, England are third favourites to lift the trophy, with Spain the punters' top pick ahead of Brazil. The latest official Fifa rankings, meanwhile, put England in eighth position and Spain in second.

Given that quantitative methodology is used widely in the City, there could be red faces at JP Morgan (and a few concerned investors) if England crash out on 23 June after a shock defeat to Slovenia.

But as befits conscientious financial analysts, Burgess and Dion stressed that the accuracy of predictions about global sporting events could go down as well as up. Anyway, they said, the report should be taken with a pinch of salt. They saw it as "an ideal opportunity to light-heartedly explain quantitative techniques".

Oh god I hope not!
Originally Posted By: thursday
mcdonald-promo-cups1.jpg

These glasses look good. I have 4/6 so far. Will have them all by next week.

The idea is to fill them all up with beer for a match and have 3 the first half and 3 the second half.

For gaems with extra time added, the glasses need re-filling.

Are you enjoying all the burgers you need to consume?