A friend of mine goes on a school visit to a school that has 7 students - in the whole school! - and there are 5 staff.

veryshocked

Anyone able to beat that!?

Wonder how many countries that would still be continuing in?

sounds like schools in some of the Western Isles back home in Scotland. Sometimes kids there have to get a fishing boat across to another island to go to a school with about as many kids

1 school I go to in Yokohama has 4 kumi's for each grade, with about 30 kids in each, so thats about 720 kids give or take a few. Last year I went to a different school that only had 1 kumi per grade with about 25 kids, so thats about 150 give or take. Depends on the school

The Primary school I went to (since closed down) had one teacher (my Dad) and no other staff. There were 2 kids in my class, 3 in the class behind me.

There were 2 rooms, one had Kindergarten, first, second and third classes (about 6 kids all up) and the other had fourth, fifth and sixth classes. After 6th you went to Secondary school.

This was before the "catch a bus to school" days and we had kids arriving on horse, bicycle, walking. Some travelled around 5 or 6 miles to school and the same home afterwards.

Yeah, I know, we're talking mid '50s. Kids these days don't understand the value of learning! (Oops, wrong thread, but it'll stay.)

that's what you get in the wild wild country.

I give to a charity that dig wells near remote villages in remote parts of China. This allows the kids to fetch water at the edge of the village instead of trekking 3 hours each way. This in turn frees them up to go to school. And the more who can go, the better.

Originally Posted By: RobBright
Wasn't there a school recently that closed. somewhere in the sticks, that only had one student?

Wonder how many staff there were? Kocho, kyoto, head of teacher(s!), nurse, kyushoku... wink
Originally Posted By: thursday

Not such "wild" country. We were right alongside the main New England Highway (runs from Sydney, capital of NSW, and Brisbane, capital of Queensland - both major states of Australia) and the Main Northern Rail Line (also between those two cities).

But, it was definately NOT close to a big city! My neighbour was a mile away on one side. Paddocks with cattle and sheep between us.

I give to a charity that dig wells near remote villages in remote parts of China. This allows the kids to fetch water at the edge of the village instead of trekking 3 hours each way. This in turn frees them up to go to school. And the more who can go, the better.

AH HA. There's the compassionate thursday I knew existed.

I do a very similar thing and am going to Sudan to help with the project next summer hopefully.
Originally Posted By: JA

Not such "wild" country. We were right alongside the main New England Highway (runs from Sydney, capital of NSW, and Brisbane, capital of Queensland - both major states of Australia) and the Main Northern Rail Line (also between those two cities).

But, it was definately NOT close to a big city! My neighbour was a mile away on one side. Paddocks with cattle and sheep between us.

JA, not to deter from your point, but shouldn't it be NEW NEW England? I never understood how the British could call anything they wanted New England?

The colonials weren't exactly brimming with originality when they went forth and conquered......you can see the same names for towns, cities and streets all over the old colony's!! smile

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
The colonials weren't exactly brimming with originality when they went forth and conquered......you can see the same names for towns, cities and streets all over the old colony's!! smile

I lived there for 17 years, believe me I know TB smile.
Originally Posted By: MitchPee
Originally Posted By: JA

JA, not to deter from your point, but shouldn't it be NEW NEW England? I never understood how the British could call anything they wanted New England?

Why not! It's not as if it was the same blokes, each lot thought they'd just discovered the "new" England.

Besides, the Highway is called New England Hwy because it travels up the New England Ranges. And it's in New South Wales!

Not my decision, mate! wink