or the Voile setup. Probably be the cheapest option with its own Voile split binding system cos you won´t be paying for licencing fees if you buy them separate to put on with other boards.

voile_mojo_splitboard.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to try out the new Zeal Optics goggles. Retail launch is set for the 2011 season but we're expecting a few to come out for review/testing mid this year. Hopefully get my hands on one >_>;

I've got two pairs of Head Titan skis that I got for demo and allowed to take home; I'm still hoping I get a pair of Elan twin tips >_<.

I also love how the Japanese don't want anything that's "last season" so the end of season sales are, like, half price. What's even better is that the "old" models here are still new for the southern hemisphere biggrin

Originally Posted By: Ryoma
I also love how the Japanese don't want anything that's "last season" so the end of season sales are, like, half price. What's even better is that the "old" models here are still new for the southern hemisphere biggrin

That is definitely something to like!
  • 2 months later...

Just found out Burton has a new splitboard for 2011, Called Freebird ... more info on backcountry magazine website.

Anyone buying a pow stick for 2011 Niseko ?

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
No interest? I'm ready to put my money down for the Jones solution and Karakoram split setup. Also thinking of getting the flagship, too.
Going longer to 161 cm next year, taking advantage of the nose rocker for pow float (and added surface) and keeping that effective edge length I have with the 157 I'm riding now. I love that nose design. It makes so much sense.
If I were 80kg and size 11 feet, I would highly consider the Hovercraft packing the surface area of a 170 board into a 157. Way too wide for my weight and foot size, if it came with narrower version, I could be sold. Check out the set back. Pow board that will handle some flat area and trees. Cool for Japan, don't you reckon?

Jynxx I am keen on either a Flagship or Twin can not decide which... I don't ride switch much but still wonder if the twin would be a better board for me as I am not always charging down steeps at speed (HA!). I wanted to go a little shorter than my current 166 Burton Custom to try and get some more movement in around trees, and I do want to attack more and more OPEN FRESH POW At 105kg and 186cm... Damn the choices a person has to make. 162W Flag Ship or a 164W twin????

Yeah, I ran out of $ so I'm selling all my skydiving gear. Not jumping anymore anyways.

Can't buy 2 snowboards for myself I have to choose one, too.

You are a bigger guy I'd go longer if it's a flagship. But if it's a Twin I choose shorter, like 162 you are talking. The Twin looks like fun. My first board was a twin tip.

I think people choose way too short boards for their size, but that depends on where and the snow they board most of the time.

I know if it's moguls I'd rather a 151 (for my body size) snaking thru, but come icy and steep I'd love longer. That's why I'm thinking 161. Snowboards have only one edge to work with unlike skis so longer effective edge is the go I reckon.

I'm no big mountain guy, I like to go fast but I check on my speed and am no faster than some 15 year old girls bombing it here.

I really don't know when it comes to powder, other than having a nose rocker, setback and surface for float especially when the board slows down. So I like fast sintered base.

Interesting times soon with new boards coming out for new season. I'd love to try out them swallow tail boards. No way I'd be paying 1000 bucks for a board though.

At the end of my last trip I bought a custom but its a tad short at 152cm. I keep telling myself ah its only 5cm shorter then my old NS Prem V max that was 10 years old....

This time think I'll spend the money properly so it actually helps me ride better too.

Originally Posted By: smileyrider
A NeverSummer is mine for next winter.

I have promised myself.

Yep me too. Titan or Prem, Im not sure.

NSTitan.jpg

Pete, 152 is waaay too short for your size. Even 157 unless you are a park rat IMO. For me (at my weight and size) I went from 151 to 157 after a couple of weeks snowboarding and the difference was remarkable.

I couldn't make short turns, and when I was going slow it was difficult to turn I had to hop. Basically I was just sliding my tail out to turn in the beginning and I couldn't do that with the longer board. I had to learn to go from edge to edge. I went thru that progress when I was skiing, those days being old skool the skis didn't have much side curve so you couldn't just lean and turn.

Now I don't have that problem making shorter turns with the 157 except in the moguls where the board is a bit poppy and fast it's hard on my knees (I got to ride over the bumps and pop don't help). So yeah, there aint no such thing as an all round quiver.

So if it was Japan on the mainland where moguls are a way of life (as I remember it, it might not be so now) I might be more tempted with a 151 twin for me. But my 157 Salomon Burner has so much edge grip I'd like to take 2. If it was just Hokkaido, I'd seriously consider just taking a powstick.

Here in the European Alps, I'm just riding the 157 and I want longer that will handle pow. Leaning a bit towards the Prior swallowtail, too. But $1000 is thumbsdown

Originally Posted By: Ryoma
I want to try out the new Zeal Optics goggles. Retail launch is set for the 2011 season but we're expecting a few to come out for review/testing mid this year. Hopefully get my hands on one >_>;

I've got two pairs of Head Titan skis that I got for demo and allowed to take home; I'm still hoping I get a pair of Elan twin tips >_<.

I think Zeal are far overpriced and inferior. Personally, I use Smith I/O's and I swear by them. Never had an issue and they are real easy to change lenses.
Originally Posted By: Jynxx
quiver.
So if it was Japan on the mainland where moguls are a way of life (as I remember it, it might not be so now)

unfortunately they still are sadface

Yep Jynxx its a tad small thats for sure. Will probably keep it though as was bought on an end of year sale and its fun on little kickers etc - I stress little as Im no park rat but hope to get into rails etc this season. My mind was elsewhere and I never really checked the size, just picked it up, liked it and bought it.

Will be buying another board though. I'm 5'9" and about 80kg so am thinking 157 NS. Still so MANY choices its near impoosible to pick. At least with a surfboard you go pick them up and really feel the difference in the rails, rocker etc. Man I love THAT feeling. smile

Definitely keep the custom for sure.

You are 20 kg heavier than me. You can easily go 159, 160 on these NS freeride boards.

I'd go longer.

I bet it will float you better in pow. Stable at high speed.

Yeh nice - I was all decided on the Flagship 168W but then saw this and am again torn between it and the Twin - but I don't ride switch much, nor am I a point it straight down speed demon. Think it will be a Flagship because I like the wood topsheet... REI said in stock mid august.

I know what you mean. I was pretty decided on the Flagship 161. The topsheet defo looks good.

I really like a bit more float than my current board which is a camber. So really, I'm looking for something in powder. Should I just get a powder board ?

If the flagship will do both all mountain and powder, that will be great. I will be getting something I can push it on for the coming seasons. But when I see how loose the Hovercraft looks in trees and pow , mmm... It might be worth getting it.

Originally Posted By: Tex
Yeh nice - I was all decided on the Flagship 168W but then saw this and am again torn between it and the Twin - but I don't ride switch much, nor am I a point it straight down speed demon. Think it will be a Flagship because I like the wood topsheet... REI said in stock mid august.

Feeling your pain Tex. Everytime I near a decision I see something else. If I dont find my dream 164W twin tip something something between now and Feb I will just stick with the 168W Yukon and pray I have no more fights with trees.
Originally Posted By: Schneebored
If I dont find my dream 164W twin tip something something between now and Feb I will just stick with the 168W Yukon and pray I have no more fights with trees.

Great, now I am worried about a 168 in trees wink

I'm going longer on the flagship. 164

Not gonna worry about trees. I hardly go into them here anyways.

Maybe I order the Hovercraft and have it sent to Japan.

Originally Posted By: Tex
Originally Posted By: Schneebored
If I dont find my dream 164W twin tip something something between now and Feb I will just stick with the 168W Yukon and pray I have no more fights with trees.

Great, now I am worried about a 168 in trees wink

haha...my fear has only developed out of a few high speed tree hugging incidents. I would post my injury photos, but I think that would be bad taste.

A FEW !?

sheeeesh. Wouldn't you rather go for big open steep bowels ?

OK, TBA I like it here in the European Alps cos I don't have to deals with crowds, moguls and narrow courses like in Japan. I can see getting in between the trees to avoid all that.

( Hokkaido is special. No place like that. Zao, too. I rather not trees)

Oakley G30 lens I like it as an all rounder. The High Intensity Persimmon is the usual low light one but the G30 is good for all occaisions I find...