10/10, best season I've had for more than 15 years.

enjoyed every day, even the icey days.

because I was enjoying it, I pushed myself to keep progressing, which meant I never got bored = more enjoyment. and I'm really stoked to push myself even more next season.

Originally Posted By: sand
because I was enjoying it, I pushed myself to keep progressing, which meant I never got bored = more enjoyment. and I'm really stoked to push myself even more next season.

That's what makes a good season for me - can ride switch now on red runs, next season, riding switch on black runs. biggrin

Can't believe just over a year ago, I was asking questions on this forum how to fall.

I recall a binding set up and duck stance topic with Rag-Doll, and him saying he sets his stance +/+ couldn't see the point in going switch, and me saying imagine taking off on natural kickers and landing 180, blah blah, hence I practice ..

I hope I keep going for it, but man, after not breaking anything this year I am appreciating to chill a bit.

I think that's it for the year.

Originally Posted By: RobBright
Originally Posted By: sand

That's what makes a good season for me - can ride switch now on red runs, next season, riding switch on black runs. biggrin

Pardon my ignorance. What is a red run? Something like intermediate?

Europe uses black/red/blue. Balck/red or red/blue sometimes doesn't make much difference unless it's a very flat blue.

Most of my days I get good snow and I don't see what's expert about black (unless there are moguls). It's not like there are 60 degree slopes on piste. I wonder how they determine what's what.

nah...

Europe used just blue/red/black

Aussie green/blue/black

Japan green/red/black

They all have the same difficulty classifications of

easy-beginner / intermediate / advanced-difficult

But I have found really big differences from one intermediate run to another, or one beginner run to another.

There also sometimes deadset beginner slopes - at Thredbo these are marked in orange.

0/10 :(

Didn't make it at all 09-10. First my knee didn't feel up to it. Then we sold our flat and had to find a new place. Then the hassle of moving. We have just settled in and the season is over.

Hopefully we will make Falls Creek or Wanaka in a few months smile

8/10 for me. 24 days on the hill. A couple of those days were as good as anything I've ever ridden. The missus is shredding too. Awesome being able to belt down the mountain together.

Mucho happy. Already looking forward to next season.

9/10 for me

ishiuchi maruyama - new place, was a great place to start the season off

centleisure maiko - well known, tried and tested, always happy when I go there

karuizawa - new place, **** piece of **** hole

hakuba 47/goryu - again, enjoy these places, wasn't as much fresh snow as ishiuchi and centleisure but that was down to weather.

happo-one - new place for me, but good fun.

niseko hirafu, annupuri, village - biggrin

kagura - again another favourite and FINALLY managed to get over to tashiro and up top

Muju - sucks in general only day trips when im really needing sb love. Probably rate it a 3/10

Hakuba - meant to spend a day and then go elsewhere, ended up spending almost a week there. Also landed in the middle of a gigantic dump.

For pure drinking id give it 10/10. Dont think i spent a single day sober.

As for the rest, i put tsugaike in my top 3 worst rides ever, goryu/47 was pretty much same old (but with more powder), and never made it to cortina like i promised myself (since last year) i would. 6/10

Nozawa was raining. Nozawa was also still amazing. It was my first time there and the place is serene. 8/10 for rain, but 9/10 for being generally a highlight.

Then it was Zao and never have i felt so disappointed with a resort. This was entirely due to the first half of the first day. we came up one of the gondolas near the middle, tried to trek across on the top green run to go play up in the snow monsters, got stuck since its utterly flat. Then eventually made it to the snow monster gondola. Thought, screw that queue, we'll get an early lunch and go when the queue dies down. So we did that, decided to ride down to the bottom and get the gondola up, waited in the queue for twenty mintes, got to the front of the queue and were told we needed a ticket. Got the ticket, and found it that even though we were like one of only ten people in the room, the ticket was for an hour later. Had a small temper tantrum (sorry zao), and stormed off to the other gondola and stayed on that side for both days. Second day was alright though. Never saw the snow monsters though :( 4/10

Then everyone left me and i was on my own so went to niseko. Was mentally exhausted and close to just sleeping for my last week, but pulled myself out. Im glad i did. The place was an eye opener. 10/10

Anyways, overall, i was just getting over my sluggishness when my season came to an abrupt end. Maybe got around 15 or 16 days in which is alright, but not massive or anything. Enjoyed my time, and really felt some serious progression towards the end so id give it a 9/10 for development, a 7/10 for riding, and a 3/10 for planning. I spent too long at hakuba, should have skipped zao, and just gone to nozawa and hokaido. Next year, straight run to hoth i reckons. smile

Regarding Zao, I recommend:

- you don't go on a peak weekend or when it is mad busy (applies to everywhere I suppose)

- you look at the maps and work out there to go. There are flat parts but you can minimise them if you know what you are doing. There are plenty of really good slopes there. Helps if you have checked it all out once.

- you learn to ski

wink

The highlight of my season, totally brilliant place.

hehe. I had a mate say something similar. Its a crazy place, and i can see why people like it, but man, if you dont know whats coming youre going to be cheesed off smile There should be a sticky here warning people about that bloody gondola.

On busy days at Zao also get the gondola from the middle station to get to the top of the resort. ie avoid the small ropeway that is the lower section - it is a bottleneck.

It's just 4 lifts up the side to get to the middle gondola station and you don't need tickets or to wait for those.

its okay. My advice to you is on your first run pick a time you think itll take you to get onto that gondola and get tickets for it smile ORRRR, get your ticket, go for lunch, come back in time for easy lift queue. Also, dont treck from one side of the mountain to the other unless you have skis. Itll just bug the crap out of you.

Not so much because I spent a while in London and then my mother is not so well and so I was looking after.

But I did enjoy 4 days in Yuzawa area in late January after all that snow, it was as much as I saw before.