I was wondering if anyone can give some advice and help on hiring a car in Hokkaido. Getting Around?? How hard to drive in the snow (have done in Canada but not the same amount as Japan get)?? Logistics of it??

We are thinking of starting in Sapporo. We have heard of places in Niseko in the bottom village that include a car with your accomodation??

We would like to be a little freer and drive around see more of Japan and visit some different Ski Fields.

Thanks smile

Pick it up at the airport. Get to the hire counter and they'll bus you to the lot.

Choose a 4WD, I had a Rav4, that was good but thirsty. A Prius would use a third of that fuel. You'll need English GPS, choose a model with that. Input your hotel's phone number and you're away.

With Toyota rentacar, you can choose where to drop off at the end of your trip.

I hired a RAV 4 from Toyota Car Hire at the Chitose airport this trip, over the three weeks we were there we traveled over 2000km and the car never missed a beat, I only lost traction once on black ice at Tomamu but regaiend traction within metres.

Hiring a car in Japan is very wise we have seen so much more of the country than most Aussie visitors but just being able to drive from your accom to the lift car parks makes the holiday so much easier, remember walking up hill with ski gear is not what skiing is all about.

As for the GPS, the RAV 4 has an English speaking one and it takes phone numbers, addresses or Map Codes, the Map code site on line is in Japanese only however if you email them and give a list of places that you wish to visit they will send you the codes to enter. Japanese GPS in the RAV 4 are excellent, they even have logo's of shops like Lawsons and Seicomart on them. The book Toyota gives you shows you how to use the GPS and even details important signs such as the writing on petrol pumps.

To hire a car in Japan you will ne an international driving licence you get them from the NRMA before you leave.

Originally Posted By: thursday
you mean there were pictures too?

Yes moving pictures, multi maps on the screen, huge great big arrows telling you where to go, numbers. Would be difficult to not understand it.

Can you choose the voice? And how sexy are we talking?

Anyone have any experience renting a campervan in Japan. Not one of the ridiculously huge Winnebago style ones, but a medium sized one?

At a bunch of different resorts in Japan I've seen them parked up in the carparks. Normally I would never consider a campervan snow trip, but you could have a nice hot onsen after a day on the slopes, so it wouldn't be too bad.

I was thinking they'd be good in terms of visiting remote/far flung resorts. Ride some quiet places for 4-5 days and sleep in the van, then check into a hotel on the slopes for a couple of days to break it up.

Been looking around on the net but can't seem to find anything.

Thank you all for your wonderful informative help. We have now started planning our National Lampoons Tour of Japan Ski Fields.

We are so excited about next year as we will be able to see SO MUCH more of Japan. My choice is to come later February and hang around until the Sakura comes out.

Once again THANKS Thursday, Aus Ski Bum and everyone. thumbsup

Some of those car navis now are pretty advanced.

I really enjoy using them, and even people without Japanese knowledge will have little problem using them. Perhaps need help with programming a route or whatever but after that simple.

Originally Posted By: blinkin'ek
Some of those car navis now are pretty advanced.
I really enjoy using them, and even people without Japanese knowledge will have little problem using them. Perhaps need help with programming a route or whatever but after that simple.

yeah, the inputting of destination is the only part non-japongo speaking people will need a help with