Expressway charges changing again > ETC = worthless

Originally Posted By: TubbyBeaverinho
You do live in one of the most damaged areas.

Actually, Tubby, I don't. I live in one of the least damaged areas.

But don't worry, if it comes down to the choice of either getting a piece of paper or paying full freight to drive to some of my favorite ski areas, I'm sure my conscience will manage to quiet right back down.
  • Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And it's on, starting December 1st, 2011, going through March 31st, 2012.   Final version (Nov. 2011) of map of Tohoku expressways that will be free from 2011.12.1 through 2012.3.31: Blue-green:

Definitely.

They won't be so touchy feely in taking taxes off you. If the legit offer is there for you, take it. In fact, it's your duty to take it! Got spend money in places that need the tourism.

Originally Posted By: Metabo Oyaji
Originally Posted By: TubbyBeaverinho
You do live in one of the most damaged areas.

Actually, Tubby, I don't. I live in one of the least damaged areas.

But don't worry, if it comes down to the choice of either getting a piece of paper or paying full freight to drive to some of my favorite ski areas, I'm sure my conscience will manage to quiet right back down.

what I meant was that Fukushima, where you live, is one of the badly affected areas. I didn't mean that your place was necessarilly in the worst hit areas. If its up for grabs, take it
  • 3 months later...

Update:

The Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transportation and Tourism announced plans a few days ago for free highways in Tohoku this winter. This depends on the 3rd supplementary budget being passed (it goes to the Diet tomorrow), but would apply to everyone, not just those with the free passes mentioned up-thread. Idea is to encourage travel to Tohoku. Would start some time in December or January, and run through March 2012. What happens from April 2012 depends on next year's budget.

Usage details are different from those for the free passes. To prevent abuse, it is only free to travel within the areas on the map below, and those outside the free zone still have to pay to get to the edge of the zone. Also, which roads are free on which days is different:

gallery_10844_68_85177.png

Blue: Free for all vehicles, all days.

Brown: Free for ETC-equipped regular cars and below (i.e., including keijidousha, and excluding commercial trucks) on weekends and holidays.

Pink: Free (already)

Green: In negotiation with local authorities

(Source: http://www.mlit.go.j...n/000170245.pdf -- linked by permission of SJ)

So, for example, to go from Tokyo to Sendai, one would pay regular rates to Shirakawa on the Tohoku, or Mito on the Joban, and then nothing after that.

(I suspect this will increase traffic disproportionately on the Joban, since the cost to get to Mito is half that to get to Shirakawa.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

And it's on, starting December 1st, 2011, going through March 31st, 2012.

Final version (Nov. 2011) of map of Tohoku expressways that will be free from 2011.12.1 through 2012.3.31:

gallery_10844_68_195360.png

Blue-green: Free for all vehicles, all days

Brown: Free for ETC-equipped ordinary cars and below on weekends and holidays

Pink: Already free

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...