My place here has one but I can't think of one place back in the UK or US where I have lived that has them.

Good idea I reckon.

Interesting article and discussion

Quote:
Urinals seems sensible when you're in a public loo, so why haven't they caught on in UK bathrooms? They don't take up much space or plumbing. Ben Miller, Edinburgh

There seemed to be universal agreement that using up to a dozen litres of drinking water to flush away a bit of pee is excessive, but not everyone agreed that urinals in the home make for such a great alternative. Valid questions about hygiene, lack of space and "gender applicability" were prominent in the discussion. McMuggins spoke as only a male could when he said (I'm assuming it's a "he") to "Go tippy toe and try a sink". That may well be the solution if you live alone, but I can't see co-habitants of any home welcoming it as a long-term alternative to the urinal.

I'm also not too convinced by SE14bloke's idea: "Combining early-morning slash with a shower saves one flush per day (and that is a truly unisex technique... )" We don't have too many, I know, but we do have some standards here at EnvironmentGuardian. I'm not going to endorse peeing in the sink or the shower as practical 21st-century solutions to cutting back on water use in the home.

Teratornis came up with the standard response of a "good lifer": "Pee in a jug and pour it on your compost pile. The nitrogen and phosphorus content will nourish the bacteria that break down tough lignocellulosic yard waste faster. Urine diluted with five parts water also makes a great fertilizer applied directly to plants." But, again, this is clearly not to everyone's taste.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/green-living-blog/2010/mar/29/ask-leo-urinals

Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
Many have them in Japan?

Can't say I have ever seen any in a home here.

No, they have regular toilets or Japanese squatter style. They do have urinals on the Shinkansen's though, which is a little different.

In the Art Centre bar back home, the urinal was heat sensitive, so that when you peed on it, the back would change colour. Similar to those Global Hypercolour t-shirts that used to change colours with your body heat.....very cool!!

Some people even need to smoke while they pee.

That's why there are some ashtrays next to the urinals in some places I presume.

They should perhaps put some beer glassh holders there as well.

You do see em in quite a few old houses. Some more traditional Japanese-style new houses even have them.

Once the cost of natural gas (for nitrate fertilizer) and/or phosphorous (again for fertilizer) gets high enough, I suppose people will start collecting urine again. Keeping yellow and brown separate is the main issue, so urinals might make a comeback.

In some country areas of Aus where many farmers rely solely on tank water and farm dams instead of town supply they often had a saying 'If it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down'. Great way to save water!

Originally Posted By: Go Native
In some country areas of Aus where many farmers rely solely on tank water and farm dams instead of town supply they often had a saying 'If it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down'. Great way to save water!

Explains where Fosters and Castlemaine comes from then.