Saturday I went to Koumi Rex a small ski resort about 60 ks from my house.

I have been there other years, but hadn't been there this year, so after a 5 week absence from skiing due to my broken finger I decided it was time for a bit of spring skiing.

And well all I can say is I'm glad I went, because yesterday must have been the best day of the season!!!

The snow was not too bad in the morning, as it had snowed up until friday leaving about 30cm of powder, it was a bit like icing sugar, so not excellent quality, but for the end of March you can expect much more, but it was soft and not too icy at all.

It was not the snow, that made it such a great day, it was the crystal clear blue skys and the superb scenary, something that typically happens in this area in march!

It was also top to bottom skiing with no patches, well in fact it was top to carpark skiing, because I was able to ski right to the carpark, something I could not do last year at this time.

The main course that runs from the very top was not groomed, and was rather bumpy with lots of powder pockets, and being reasonbly steep made it great fun for carving, which I love.

I believe I have written a report about this resort last year so not going to repeat myself again.

Anyway it was an enjoyable day, especially after 5 weeks away from the slopes! Not the best snow in the world and not the most challenging ski resort in the world by a long way, but never the less it was one of those days, where I thought to myself if this is the last for the season then it would be a great way to finish for the year.

Unfortunately I didn't have my good camera with me so this is the best I got this time, but anyway, Enjoy!

snowdude00_55.JPG On the road leading to the resort

snowdude00_57.JPG On the road leading to the resort! All the trees were frozen and looked like chandeliers!

snowdude00_59.JPG Again frozen trees, where the snow had started to melt during the day, but was at the same time freezing creating this silver ice effect.

I could here the ice on the trees cracking in the sun like an orchestra, quite a unique experience!

snowdude00_58.JPG

snowdude00_60.JPG The camera really don't do the scenary justice, but anyway you get an idea!

snowdude00_61.JPG The slopes were nearly empty first thing, great!!!

snowdude00_62.JPG On the chair lift!

snowdude00_63.JPG The snow, not bad for end of march!

snowdude00_65.JPG Chair lift going over the road!

snowdude00_64.JPG Snow hanging from the chair lift!

snowdude00_66.JPG View from near the top

snowdude00_67.JPG Looking up!

snowdude00_68.JPG This is how all the trees looked, just like chandeliers!!

snowdude00_69.JPG View from the carpark at mid day!

Oh really, usually relatively busy during the peak season, but end of march tends to be pretty empty. Maybe you were lucky or unlucky which ever way you want to look at it. I think in general less people are going to the resorts each year.

I have to say I prefare empty to crowded, so it suited me fine!

Re-ex is pretty good. I especially like hitting op that newish onsen just past the base, one of the nicest views from a rotenburo in the Saku area. And the bakery down at the base may be the best in Nagano.

But truthfully, i prefer Re-ex's neighbor, Yachiho Kogen.

Yes that onsen is nice you can see all of the Yatsugatake mountain range from the outside bath. It opened about 2 years ago.

Yes the bakery is good, they bake all kinds of bread and bread you normally can't get other places. I always pop in there when I go past there.

I have never been to Yachiho kogen, whats it like Oyuki Kigan?

Yachiho might be a touch smaller, but a really friendly vibe. The staff seem pretty happy there, and the lifties are more often than not wearing animal suits. Not much challenging terrain(only one short steep face that they put a small mogul run on), but great for an afternoon.

They also maintain a pretty good park, probably the best in the Saku area, and it bings in a lot of kids from the neighboring kens. I worked there for 2 seasons and liked it a lot.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Almost looks like they had freezing rain! Very cool.

Yes it does, typical march weather. They do get freezing rain here in march but this was mainly from the snow that had stuck then started to melt in the sun and freeze while it is melting, It is usually too cold in winter for this to happen, because the snow is very powdery and simply blows of the trees, as temps normally never get above about -5 during the day time and goes down below -20 at night.