Niseko is by far not a bad place for most people. it will give you all the powder you can injest. Its trying to change which for the most part is great considering that things dont change here much.

postives-english use ok

trees open for the most part

crazy amount of snow on par with utah and as much.

decent villages

pretty good for 80% of the sski population

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope it can't get better.

80% of the days we skied there every single run was illegal - ie we did not ski one groomed run nor did we ski any of the designated off piste areas. We had our own areas that we found early on in the trip, we had names for the runs, the diferent chutes and we knew most of the features in this area very well. We were also radioed up so that we could keep each other alert for the patrollers.

Without the secret runs we were doing our holiday to Niseko would not have been as memorable - untouched, waist deep, steep runs 3 days after the last storm - that is what makes a great place. Also we skied mostly at Higashiyama and Annipuri, Hirafu is overated in my opinion and Hanazono is flat, and gets tracked quickly.

La Ponte and Rusutsu are pretty good too.

All of the bad and good points people have raised are true! I've been to niseko twice now and have loved it each time, I reckon the place has one more trip in it for me and then I will be looking further afeild. Location, snow quality and price are its best points in my mind. Last year I didnt really see and yobboish behaviour but I did see it this year. I saw a big mouthed aussie throwing another equally big mouthed aussie out the door at a-bu-cha. The previous night the same guys had broken the window at the SAME place. You wouldnt get away with it at any other place! I guess a bouncer would have come in handy that night. On the plus side I saw these same guys mouthing off to some other aussies one night and heard from a reliable source that they were "sorted out" aussie style later on. I'm sad to say it but the ugly australian is truly UGLY!

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
wnever heard of that before and the wife doesnt understand so explain that word
Ha Classic! lol.gif
You thought yobbo was japanese and asked the missus what it meant.
Good one!!

Just came back from three days of waist-deep powder at one of the lesser known Niseko resorts. Had a ball. Don't think I even saw Hirafu from a distance, but I heard there are a few yobos giving Aussies a bad name there. I think it's the usual story: a few guys on their 'boys only' trip away getting drunk, talking big, and thinking masculinity is defined through their fists. Those few wankers give all Aussies a bad name. The Aussie skiers I've talked to were all considerate and doing their best to be culturally sensitive. It's a shame about the few who think they're in Disneyland and can do whatever they want.

Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
And you can't really expect us to understand what you guys are saying
Half of it is slang

Mate this
Barby that
Yobbish
Wingeing
Pom
Seppo
/begin (cheek<-tongue)

Awww c'mon mate , we're not all yobbish . Head on 'round to my place an 'ave a barby ... as long as you're not a whingeing pom it's all good. As for seppo ... I've got no idea what that bloody well means.

/end (cheek<-tongue)

Sven beat me to it but I'm gunna do it anyway:

Maaaate, I'd neva spect a seppo to cotton on to wot we're on about but ya can come over for a barby n ave a squiz at me yobbo mates goin off. You won't see any whingin bloody poms there though, buggar that!

Quote:
Originally posted by unit:
Maaaate, I'd neva spect a seppo to cotton on to wot we're on about but ya can come over for a barby n ave a squiz at me yobbo mates goin off. You won't see any whingin bloody poms there though, buggar that!
You've nailed it - that's how most Aussie Boarders express themselves - the simple folk that they are. :p
Us skiers are somewhat more refined. ;\)

#1: A Seppo is rhyming slang for a Yank i.e. Septic Tank ... Yank. (Hardly used because that's old-fashioned '50's speak.) :rolleyes:

#2: Just don't mention the term 'shrimp on a Barbie'. mad.gif The Yanks call prawns 'shrimp', which they are not - shrimp are a different species altogether.
Most Aussies wouldn't spoil a good prawn by putting it on the BBQ - it was just a piece of fake folklore crap aired in a TV advert.

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie. Oi,Oi,Oi!! lol.gif

Yamakashi pull ya head out ya arse mate, I was just takin the piss. I don't give a rats arse where ya from!

I'll translate this one so no sooks gets their undies in a knot:

Wake up, I was just joking, so relax. I don't care where you're from!

I was just trying to squeeze all the slang toque mentioned into one line! I was making a joke of aussies more than anything.

\:\) \:\)

Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
This has turned into a good thread.

I don't like the Seppo slang though. You might be joking but it isn't that funny. I'm not American and I get insulted by it.
Not joking, that's the actual meaning. I believe it originated during WW2 - the Yanks weren't a particularly liked bunch when they were here during the Pacific campaigns. (Obviously, it was meant to be insulting, but today the insulting aspect is not really relevant.)

... you K-Nucks sound American though. confused.gif ;\)
(Isn't Canada the 51st State, or are they still a member of the Commonwealth?) lol.gif lol.gif
 Quote:
Originally posted by SubZero:
... you K-Nucks sound American though. confused.gif ;\)
(Isn't Canada the 51st State, or are they still a member of the Commonwealth?) lol.gif lol.gif
That is just good natured ribbing though. Funny. We can all have a good laugh.

The Seppo thing is wrong though. I'm sorry I even brought it up.