Originally Posted By: Go Native
Originally Posted By: Mamabear

I struggle to NOT wash my hair every morning.

I only wash my hair about once a week and have rarely ever used shampoo. Normally just use the same soap I use for the rest of me. Never quite understood why you need special soaps for the hair on your head. Gets people to spend a whole lot more money I guess.

I have quite long fine, blonde hair, and lots of it. I can't just use regular shampoo on it unless I want to sit with a comb for an hour and half trying to comb through the tangles. So I always use a very good conditioner. The occasional times I have relied on the shampoo and condition provided by a hotel, I am usually battling to get the tangles out.

The kids and Papa can use regular soap (Lush has some awesome masculine shampoo bars too) without too much hair issues, but that is because their hair is short, thick strands.
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wash my hair everyday morning and night. Need to 'cos of sweat and stuff in the air in the summer months.

I use no deodorant, don't need to. Use non-scented soap, so my pheremones can go drive all the ladies wild. AND I also wash my hands after a wazz.

I love having bath. If I can't have bath, I will enjoy shower.

I would never get into bed after a day without having clean. I love feeling of clean when going bed. Maybe it is also Japanese tradition to have bath in evening before sleeping especially in winter to warm up. That is how I was brought up anyway.

One shower a day in the evening, sometimes more if I've been surfing or swimming in the sea. Never in the morning, don't see the point when I'm dirty and sweaty within the first hour of work.

My in-laws (English) stink! They only bath about once a week.

Originally Posted By: thursday
I wash my hair everyday morning and night. Need to 'cos of sweat and stuff in the air in the summer months.

I use no deodorant, don't need to. Use non-scented soap, so my pheremones can go drive all the ladies wild. AND I also wash my hands after a wazz.

Yeah I'm sure the air quality in Hong Kong is not quite the same as that over Niseko during the summer! If I lived in a big, hot, polluted city I'm sure my bathing habits might change accordingly. As it is I live in a pristine environment with no pollution whatsoever....it's nice biggrin
Originally Posted By: big-will
lol seriously?

Serious man! I thought it was the norm for Pommys wink
A guy I once stayed with in London had to remove a heap of boxes and stuff out of his bath so I could use it. It looked like it hadn't used for quite a while.

School days, when playing Rugby, the coach had a name for those who did not shower EVEN AFTER MATCHES. "Potatoe Merchants". The following week, they still had the previous week's mud on their legs. **** amazing.

Originally Posted By: Mantas
Originally Posted By: big-will
lol seriously?

Serious man! I thought it was the norm for Pommys wink
A guy I once stayed with in London had to remove a heap of boxes and stuff out of his bath so I could use it. It looked like it hadn't used for quite a while.

I wouldn't use the word "norm" but a lot of Pommies do seem rather "unwashed"

Let's face it showering once or more a day with hot water really is one of the excesses of first world living. I doubt if much of the worlds population can afford such a luxury.

Let's face it showering once or more a day with hot water really is one of the excesses of first world living. I doubt if much of the worlds population can afford such a luxury.

But does that mean we should embrace them as the 'good old days' when ladies popped their dresses in camphor wood boxes, had lavender bags through their drawers and pomanders made of oranges and cloves just to mask the malodorous nature of their attire....?

Let's face it - you can wash and stay clean with a bucket of river water (heated on a open fire if you are a delicate flower) and some hard water soap. The whole family could get clean with the one bucket if need be.

Hair is a different matter. Twice a week until it gets too long, then 3 times a week or I get VERY itchy - cannot have a beard for the same reason, I'd be a mess of red welts. Use the simplest shampoo I can find (soap doesn't work for me - needs washing daily unless I use shampoo), no conditioner or anything else.

The body, I wash daily at least [working in close(ish) quarters with a number of people in an open plan office, and being required to try to impress employers to take on our students, I need to be aware of the sensitivities of myriad people] and use a "sensitive" rollon. Tried another brand for a week and came out in a rash under arms - so back to the (more expensive, of course) sensitive one.

My mind boggles when I go to places like Toyko and see the metropolis sprawled out in front of me and think about how 20 million people can use about 40-50 liters of hot water twice a day at roughly the same time.

Where does it all come from? Where does it all go? And how many thousand liters of shampoo, conditioner, hair and god knows what goes down the plug hole with it?

it started in the "uncivilsed" worlds.....so I'm guessing that originally bathing wasn't warm water. Thats typical western middle class values creeping in. To say that cleanliness only came with western enlightenment is pretty arrogant. Ad I've mentioned before it was those "dirty" Chinese buggers who taught the west how to keep clean. Nothing Bourgeois about it GN, however much you'd like it to be.

Actually TB I didn't say anything about western elightenment. Hygiene wasn't just a Chinese invention it was a common practice very early on in Islam and Hinduism. Bathing was introduced to the heathen English by the Romans as well but later the Church decided public bathing to be lewd. Still even using your Chinese example I somewhat doubt your average peasant, servant or slave in feudal China had access to the same levels of hygiene as their Lord's. Being able to wash once or more daily in good quality heated water has and probably always will be a privaledge of the rich.

Of course GN, I wasn't meaning that the Chinese were the ONLY ones on the planet to bathe, just using an example of how an "uncivilised" country influenced the "civilised". I'm sure there were plenty of filthy peasants going around, I wasn't suggesting that in ancient China everyone was walking round smelling of roses, just that idea of bathing regularly to keep healthy has been around for a lot longer than when it became the norm in western civilisation