Quote:
“Well . . . I can definitely feel a bit of adrenalin,†says Yukari Sendo, savouring the mobile phone ringtone like a fine wine, “but it really doesn’t make me want to do any housework.â€

She flicks through a menu of alternative tunes and settles on one that offers to improve her skin tone through the power of alpha-waves.

Ms Sendo and her friend Ayaka Wakabayashi are among an army of young Japanese drawn to the allure of “therapeutic ringtones†— a genre of melodies that promises to ease a range of day-to-day gripes, from chronic insomnia to a rotten hangover.

Japan is no stranger to bizarre phone fads but the popularity of the ringtones is perhaps surprising given the flimsiness of the science behind them.

Much of the tones’ credibility rests in the solid reputation of Matsumi Suzuki, the head of the Japan Ringing Tone Laboratory, an eight-year-old subsidiary of the Japan Acoustic Laboratory.

Mr Suzuki’s adventures in the realm of mood-altering ringtones follow a career at the National Research Institute of Police Science, where he made award-winning advances in the field of voiceprints. One of his proudest achievements was the development of a synthetic mosquito noise that is inaudible to Japan’s over-60s but supposedly discourages teenagers from “congregating in parks at midnightâ€.

Anyone know how to get the rotten hangover one?!

All sounds a bit strange to me.

What's your ringtone? Mine is an old fashioned sounding telephone ring. You know when phones used to be big and had dials rather than buttons.

+1 rings my phone - I get the "can-can" tune, anyone else, a standard boring one from the standard selection on the phone.

I am standard ring tone for all.

But my Mum has an warning sound like the kind you get when a submarine is submerging or on alert for when my Nanna calls her.

A friend has a recording of her son saying "Mum, Mum, pick up the phone" for her boy's mobile.

And a fellow who works for Papa has the theme from the Exorcist set for when his ex-wife calls.

actually GN, my wife drives it 90% of the time, I hope her 'dangly bits' to which you refer arent too large.

I drive a 1.8L 90% of the time. wink

tis funny, my infatuation with cars started when I was 3 years old, and my parents have no idea why - they have absolutely nil interest in cars. At 3 years old hopefully I wasnt too worried about dangly bits lol

it only does around 7000kms per year, so consumption isnt that bad (despite averaging 19L/100kms LOL)

and besides, I work for an oil company, have to be seen to be promoting our products!

Thursday, hope you arent a Holden fan?

We owned a string of Holdens before this, all new and they all spent more time having warranty repairs than being driven.

The Ford, has been very reliable, especially given the power it produces