I note a trend starting about last year, many resorts have stopped charging for parking, even on the weekends.

Any resorts still collecting fees for using the parking lot?

Not many around here thankfully... even Naeba is free now. This year Naeba, Iwappara and Gala went 'free'.

Joetsu Kokusai, Centleisure anmd Ishiuchi still ask for 1000 yen at times.

Naeba also free now? I think until last year on weekends it was just Tashiro free.

Friend of mine who work(ed) at Gala has said that the resort is kind of regretting it as there has been no increase in the number of people coming by car.

The thing that got was was it was 0 or 1000. Why not a more reasonable 500 yen. It just seemed rather extreme. But certainly glad that it is now the less common. Not yet extinct though.

Originally Posted By: SKI
Naeba also free now? I think until last year on weekends it was just Tashiro free.

I think Mitsumata was free over Golden Week if I remember correctly -- of which there is no guarantee.

Hunter Mtn. (which I hope to visit this weekend) is still 1000 yen.
Gran Deco is too, but you can get 500 yen of that back in the form of a coupon usable at the store and restaurants in the resort.
Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Not many around here thankfully... even Naeba is free now.

Naeba website still has the price for parking, weekedays as well as weekends, free for hotel guests, 1000 yen for non hotel guests, 500 yen from 4 pm for the nighta...
Really TB? Haven't been there on a weekend for many years.
I know that Naeba is free for the first time weekends this season.

yep been up there 3 times this year in a car, all on saturdays and not once did we pay (or were asked to pay razz ) Like I said in the 3 years since I've been back in Japan, anytime I have been up there in a car we haven't had to pay at Mitsumata
Originally Posted By: dyna8800
Not many around here thankfully... even Naeba is free now.

Naeba website still has the price for parking, weekedays as well as weekends, free for hotel guests, 1000 yen for non hotel guests, 500 yen from 4 pm for the nighta...

I don't know where you got that, but it is incorrect.

年末年始期間を除ãã€å…¨æ—¥ç„¡æ–™ï¼ï¼
苗場プリンスホテルã”宿泊ã®ãŠå®¢ã•ã¾ã¯å…¨æ—¥ç„¡æ–™ï¼

Free on all days other than New Year, and NY free for hotel guests.

Plus ya gotta love the Engrish on their website, especially for weeke days. It still says that there is a charge on weekends and holidays!

English=incorrect info, Japanese=updated correct info.

Parking availablefor 5,800 cars

Parking free on weekedays. There is a charge on weekends and holidays, and during the year-end period Dec. 29-Jan. 3. Parking for the Asagai Ski Run is always free!

*Naeba Prince Hotel guests may park free anytime. -Parking Fees: 1,000 yen per vehicle (Nighter parking just 500 yen from 12:00 noon to closing)

All time free parking from Mar. 2 (Mon.).

Went to Nozawa Onsen in early Feb and had to pay 1000 yen for parking. Was a Sunday so perhaps they only charge on weekends/holidays but was the first time ever Ive had to pay for paying at a resort. I know the odd private car park near Happo charges for parking close to the Gondola but lots of free parking elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: SKI
Friend of mine who work(ed) at Gala has said that the resort is kind of regretting it as there has been no increase in the number of people coming by car.

That's interesting wouldlike to know more.

I know for sure that if I had a big choice of places to go and other things equal - which they aren't of course - I would tend to go to one that doesn't rip you 1000 yen.

Perhaps on the best best can get away with charging and it not affecting numbers.
Originally Posted By: iiyamadude
At Nozawa you pay Saturdays, Sundays and national holidays.

Out of interest, when did they start this? One of the great things i liked about Nozawa was that you could have a whole day out for bugger all.
  • 1 month later...

Like the safari park at the weekend. 300 yen to get into the park. 1600 yen per person to enter (at 50% discount for being a Niigatan, the full price of 3200 is waaaaaay too much), then every little thing in the amusement area cost as well. They even wanted extra cash to enter the small "Bird Park" area.

Then there are farms with huge fields full of flowers free for you to roam around. They let you park in their carpark, stroll about taking pictures, and you could then leave. All free. But that never happens, 'cos you'll eat, drink and buy lots of souvenirs.