I have read a fair bit about Sapporo on here and elsewhere and it seems like it is worth taking a butchers. But what about other towns that might be possible if we are taking a trip to Hokkaido? I'm presuming Sapporo is the biggest. Is Hakodate worth a shufty? Otari perhaps, remember BM writing about that and it looked like it might be interesting.

Let's top tips for Hokkaido towns!

Otaru is aweome 2P - Had a mighty fine seafood lunch there last trip......is very well known for quality of seafood -( and got a pretty damn good haircut there as well I might) add.....what you mean by a butchers though- seafood is the go up there - are you a butcher by trade ?

No good butchers but the Costco has some good Sirloin steaks lol

I'm assuming you mean travel spots for the rest of us that speak the other English. cheers

Otaru is worth a days visit. Trains from Sapporo run pretty frequently. Things there include some places that blow glass, places that make music boxes and a small canal district with good shops restaurants and bars.

Susukino in Sapporo plenty of night life

Yes I would like to se that too. If I get up there, I will definitely try to tie it in with that.

I suppose the Snow Festival 'peak' is different each year depending on the snow, but if you had to generally say, when would be the best time to be hitting that?

"butchers hook", rhymes with "look" - just in case readers weren't born within the sound of Bow bells...

Anyway, 2pints,mate, I second that Otaru recommendation, and can add it has its own microbrewery - origanally named 'Otaru Beer' - as well as a working harbour, lots of sea food and a historic "brick warehouse" district, which is something that Japanese get very excited about, especially if those brick warehouses contain restaurants or shops selling lots of omiyage (souvenirs).

Of other cities I've been to in Hokkaido, the only other one I can mention is Asahikawa, but my experience was super brief. Still, a place with Daisetsuzan mountains on the skyline, Furano an hour away and which is the coldest city of the coldest prefecture in Japan, snowbound from November to April, has obviously got a few things going for it.

SdS

We were in Sapporo & Otaru last month for the snow festivals. Sapporo didn't disappoint, but the more folksy Otaru snow gleaming really won us over.

2nd the motion regarding the Otaru Beer brewery. In a Japanese town with a bit of a Russian influence doing Bavarian Beer Hall (quite well, I might add).... we'll... you just need a few drinks to cope.

The seafood, especially crab, is abumdant.

Not to mention, there is a pretty reasonable ski resort called Kiroro about a 40min bus ride from Otaru station. Got a good dose of Hokkaido pow there and some good runs.

Otaru is a lovely place we went there a few years ago, also visited various other spots in Hokkaido too, but it was June when we went, but there was still a little snow here and there. It was lovely and lush green, with patches of white!

Im the only one who thinks Otaru is a waste of time? To each their own I guess.

Asahikawa is really chilled. I liked the time I spent there and will def. head back. Hakkodate is nice too I think. The night lights are cool, but dont compare to Kobe/Mt. Rokko. Reminds me a bit of Nagasaki.

If you don't mind driving, then Otaru is a good base for a road-tripping type of holiday that's not resort based.

Teine, Kiroro and Sapporo Kokusai are all within 30 mins drive in the worst winter conditions.

You've also got some great non-ski day trips around the coastline and down to the Nikka whiskey factory.

Otaru is a tourist trap. There's the canal and then the warehouse buildings and then the train station and that is it. Waste of time.

Have lunch at Otaru Masa, then get yourself an onsen experience at Asari. Your meal there will blow you away.

Then again don't. It's very hard to get a booking there anyway.

If you want it to be!

I have never been to Hakodate, but I have a friend who has recently moved there so angling for a visit maybe.

How far a train ride is it from the Niseko area?