• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Japan consumes about three-quarters of the bluefin tuna caught worldwide, and imports large amounts from France, Italy and Spain.

No problem. China will help them out there. Process it in China and send it over in cardboard boxes

Quote:
Japan is not opposed to bluefin conservation, but believes such matters should be regulated by regional fisheries bodies such as the International Commission for the Conservation of Atlantic Tunas (Iccat).

Atlantic tuna confused it's the pacific blue fin under threat.
  • 2 weeks later...

On a similar theme

A toothless West watches as Japan guts fish stocks

The scalloped hammerhead is a pretty cool shark. You could learn to love it. It does cool things. Its eyes are placed to give it 360-degree vision. It can detect an electrical signal as weak as half a billionth of a volt from the muscle contractions of its prey. It gives birth to live young after the age of 17. And it is one of the few animals on Earth that actually tans, like we do.

The one thing that may not surprise you is that scalloped hammerhead fins are among the most prized for the Chinese delicacy known as shark fin soup. “Finning†remains one of the most disgusting fishing activities. Sharks are caught, their fins are chopped off and they are dumped back alive into the ocean to suffer horrible deaths.

An astonishing 2.7m hammerhead sharks (both scalloped and smooth) are ripped from their coral reefs and sea mounts each year to supply the Asian market, and consequently the hammerhead population has declined by 83% in the northwest Atlantic over the past 25 years.

We heard last week that Japan — with American support — is tilting for an end to the 23-year-old moratorium on killing the great whales. Apparently, Native American tribes also want to exercise their ancestral right to kill whales, and the US is snuggling up to Japan to let them do so.

When will this shortsightedness end? It certainly can’t go on indefinitely. In my view, Japan’s victory in Doha was an enormous diplomatic mistake, based on prejudice rather than principle, and it has not gone unnoticed by the public. Japan’s government knows that, sooner or later, it simply has to address the issue of sustainability, but nobody wants to be the first to change such a hoary plank of foreign policy as Japan’s right to eat all the fish.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/guest_contributors/article7078911.ece

Yeah, that shark fin soup thing makes my blood boil. What sort of moron would eat shark fin soup knowing that sort of practice goes on?

And then there's this.

Mitsubishi is buying up fishing fleets to stockpile Tuna so it can charge exorbitant prices for the product once they are extinct.

bluefin-denmark.jpg

What sort of moron would wait until a species was ENDANGERED before they stopped eating it?

An estimated 100 million sharks are finned every year world wide. It's not rocket science. It will be on the list real soon, don't worry. Then again I suppose that makes it more appealing to some.

what kind of person would

-butcher non-food-animals (like buffalo) for sport until near extinction?

-continue to consume oil, fertilizer, tuna, whale, dodo, etc ad nauseum knowing full well they won't last and may cause severe damage to the ecosystem?

-try to actually put a dollar price on their own umbilical chord ie: the air, water, and natural systems we depend on for survival?

-destroy their own home and the home of all their fellow earthlings for the sake of short-term profit?

-knowingly raise the temperature of the entire earth with all the largely forseeable disaterous consequences (and the far more scary unpredictable ones as well)?

-torture some lifeforms, keep others in horrific conditions, and inhumanely slaughter most for no other real reason other than they like the taste?

we all do.

Originally Posted By: Oyuki kigan

inhumanely slaughter most for no other real reason other than they like the taste?

we all do.

errm.....we're not gonna eat animals that we don't like the taste of....that's part of nature. Even wild animals will pick and choose their favourite meal when there is a smorgasbord of prey. If we can't slaughter them, then how do we eat them?

When I see wildlife programmes I sometimes wonder that. They like their meat rare, right, without any sauces? Wonder why they prefer one animal over another and how much of sense of 'taste' they have.

they have done very simple taste tests on a variety of animals, using regular water, sugar water and salt water and not surprisingly animals will choose the flavoured water over the regular water if given a choice of all 3. What I found surprising was that they found that salt taste was more saught after than sugar taste. I'dve thought that sweet would trump salt.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver

inhumanely slaughter most for no other real reason other than they like the taste?

we all do.

errm.....we're not gonna eat animals that we don't like the taste of....that's part of nature. Even wild animals will pick and choose their favourite meal when there is a smorgasbord of prey. If we can't slaughter them, then how do we eat them?

What i mean is, we are at a point in our lifestyle where we don't depend on meat as food for survival. Its a luxury. Technically, most of us can be completely healthy without meat. Which means, the only reason all this insanely inhumane stuff is done (shark-finning, fois gras, veal, "The Cove"-style slaughter, etc) is to satisfy taste, nothing else.
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver

we all do.

What i mean is, we are at a point in our lifestyle where we don't depend on meat as food for survival. Its a luxury. Technically, most of us can be completely healthy without meat. Which means, the only reason all this insanely inhumane stuff is done (shark-finning, fois gras, veal, "The Cove"-style slaughter, etc) is to satisfy taste, nothing else.

I see where you are coming rom, BUT Human's are omnivores, so meat is an important part of our diet. I go back to my same point, if it wasn't for taste then we wouldn't eat anything!!
Nature has provided taste as a sensation to encourage us to eat things that aren't deathly. Yes, the food you mention does have its "immoral" parts, BUT what exactly is HUMANE slaughter? The natural world slaughtes worse than us, eating the animal as it lies there. The Crocodile will grab an animal and drag it underwater until it drowns or becomes maleable enough to spin off a leg. A shark will simply bite into its victims until it dies of either blood loss or consumption. A snake will strike, render its prey paralysed then swallow and digest it whole. A spider will inject its food with a protein dijesting enzyme that will literally liquidate its prey's insides as it stands...then suck the juices out leaving an empty bag of skin. What exactly would you have us do??

This is what I don't get from Enviro's....WE ARE ANIMALS. WE ARE PART OF THE NATURAL WORLD. YOU CAN HUFF AND HAA ABOUT A LOT OF STUFF BUT WHEN IT GETS DOWN TO IT, WE ARE GOVERNED BY THE SAME URGES AS ANY OTHER ANIMAL ON THIS EARTH.

You make a good point TB. I've often wondered how people choose to display sympathy for for the slaughter of beautiful frolicking dolphins but none for a poisoned rat, slowly dying in agony with it's guts burning

I suspect this is why noone in China give a shit about shark finning. About 100000 % more sharks are slautered than dolphins each year but who cares about those nasty horrible monsters of the sea.

Originally Posted By: iiyamadude
Oyuki kigan and his like almost make me actually want to do all those things.
lol

Responses like this drive people to write things like this.

Yes, I had read that a few days ago and very interesting it is.

You are so amusingly predictable, Oyuki - keep it up! thumbsup

So what is it you are trying to say iiyamadude? Do you want Oyuki to stop posting so that you can have the thread to yourself to fill with smug one liners. Do you even have a point or an opinion?

I have more or less given up hope for the earth as we know it. Humans will burn every last scrap of oil/gas/coal on this earth and no amount or talking about it will stop that. Any species that people can make a profit out of killing will become extinct. TB is right, we are animals and as much as we would like to disagree we are as stupid as bacteria on a pitri dish. We will consume the resources available and multiply until the resources are gone. Then, like the bacteria, once the resources are gone there will be a drastic reduction in our numbers.

Originally Posted By: Captain Stag
So what is it you are trying to say iiyamadude?

I thought it was quite obvious. Bit slow are we?

Do you want Oyuki to stop posting so that you can have the thread to yourself to fill with smug one liners.

Hmmm, no. I thought that was fairly obvious too. I want him to continue with his posts. It would be less entertaining without them.

Do you even have a point or an opinion?

Point? It was made.
Opinion? Yeah.