• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Originally Posted By: thursday
Yes, frogs legs are very much chicken like. I like them. But did you know frogs are skinned alive, 'cos the skinning is a lot easier. Nice.

I've skinned a real set of frogs legs....the frog was killed just before....we then attached a battery to its sciatic nerve as it connected to the bottom of its spine (which we had already severed). The skin comes off like a pair of wee trousers.

In the UK they had a real problem for a time with eco-nazis threatening Research staff, targeting their homes (as a reult they had to move house and get special protection from the Police) as well as their place of work. Only research gets harmed.......what about the people who do the research? They also tend to become damaged in the face of an exploding letter.

Chriselle, I would say with almost certainty that it does find its way into Kyushoku meals. Its often packaged as whale meat and the kids eat it that way. For THAT the government want shot, because they know the levels of Mercury and then hide it through re-packaging.

I don't eat any seafood so I wouldn't need to give up Tuna sashimi or sushi.

I know the inclusion of "whale" meat in kyushoku is also highly localized and is a little beyond the budget of most school eiyoshi.
Originally Posted By: Chriselle

I know the inclusion of "whale" meat in kyushoku is also highly localized and is a little beyond the budget of most school eiyoshi.

i'm not sure, i've seen it at all 3 Jr Highs i've worked for, in rural Tochigi and Nagano.
It is market driven. Don't be so naive that it's something else.

We are on completely different sides of the fence on most issues, so i won't pursue any more arguements in that direction.

But this is one thing i genuinely don't understand about whale hunting. Or maybe markets.

Japan supposedly has tons of whale meat on ice, has no real economic demand for it, yet still continues to hunt heavily. I can see where gov't subsidy may be involved, but not market forces.

Can you explain?
Originally Posted By: Oyuki kigan
It is market driven. Don't be so naive that it's something else.

We are on completely different sides of the fence on most issues, so i won't pursue any more arguements in that direction.

But this is one thing i genuinely don't understand about whale hunting. Or maybe markets.

Japan supposedly has tons of whale meat on ice, has no real economic demand for it, yet still continues to hunt heavily. I can see where gov't subsidy may be involved, but not market forces.

Can you explain?

This is how it works. For economies throughout the world.

Villager wants to stay in work, keep earning, government wants to keep them in work and contented. And voting, Gov pays for what they produce. Is there a market fot it You bet there is. But it's a market for only 10% of the produce, so 90% of it gets put into a huge refrigerated wharehouse. Why? Because if you throw it away, it's a waste. But there will be a market for it, "very soon".

For far more wasteful examples, look at the EU butter mountain, and the EU tomatoe mountain. Love 'em.

And yet with these great huge stockpiled food 'mountains' people are still dying of malnutrition. It is heinously shameful.

I read a good book about the politics and profiteering of the world food market while I was holidaying in Niseko this past January. I have made a conscious effort to buy locally grown and produced food wherever possible since returning home.

Originally Posted By: Oyuki kigan

Can you explain?

I don't believe the whaling industry in this country has anything at all to do with market forces. As you've pointed out there's virtually no market for whale meat here.
I believe it's purely a political thing. It's been a very easy way for the Japanese government to show the right wing elements in the voting populace that they are sticking up for Japanese rights internationally, that they don't just let the rest of the world tell them what to do. For the nationalists in this country it's an easy vote winner. And for the most part the policy does little to affect Japan's relationships with other countries, at least in any sort of economic sense which I'm sure thursday would be happy to confirm is about the only thing that matters in this world.

Works both ways as well. Other countries leaders can berate the Japanese government over whaling improving their image in their countries.
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
And yet with these great huge stockpiled food 'mountains' people are still dying of malnutrition. It is heinously shameful.

I read a good book about the politics and profiteering of the world food market while I was holidaying in Niseko this past January. I have made a conscious effort to buy locally grown and produced food wherever possible since returning home.

So 'roo meat and koalas then?
Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
what was the title of the book?

Stuffed and Starved by Raj Patel
9781863954495.jpg

Synopsis

How can starving people also be obese?
Why does everything have soy in it?
How do petrochemicals and biofuels control the price of food?

It's a perverse fact of modern life: There are more starving people in the world than ever before (800 million) while there are also more people overweight (1 billion).

To find out how we got to this point and what we can do about it, Raj Patel launched a comprehensive investigation into the global food network. It took him from the colossal supermarkets of California to India's wrecked paddy–fields and Africa's bankrupt coffee farms, while along the way he ate genetically engineered soy beans and dodged flying objects in the protestor–packed streets of South Korea.

What he found was shocking, from the false choices given us by supermarkets to a global epidemic of farmer suicides, and real reasons for famine in Asia and Africa.

Yet he also found great cause for hope—in international resistance movements working to create a more democratic, sustainable and joyful food system. Going beyond ethical consumerism, Patel explains, from seed to store to plate, the steps to regain control of the global food economy, stop the exploitation of both farmers and consumers, and rebalance global sustenance.
Originally Posted By: Go Native

I don't believe the whaling industry in this country has anything at all to do with market forces. As you've pointed out there's virtually no market for whale meat here.
I believe it's purely a political thing. It's been a very easy way for the Japanese government to show the right wing elements in the voting populace that they are sticking up for Japanese rights internationally, that they don't just let the rest of the world tell them what to do. For the nationalists in this country it's an easy vote winner. And for the most part the policy does little to affect Japan's relationships with other countries.

I believe there's a hidden agenda here.

Blue fin tuna is the real prize. The right to kill as many blue fin tuna as they desire seems to be embedded in the the Japanese populations' DNA. The japanese government wont succumb to international pressure to stop whaling because they see it as the thin end of the wedge. Stop whaling, what's next?
Global trade of blue fin tuna is about to be banned. It's USA supported. Japan have already indicated that they will not honor the ban.