• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
Originally Posted By: Oyuki kigan

so as long as the dolphins were killed humanely, you'd be cool with it?

I cant say yes to one animal and no to another - its hypocritical. As long as they arent endangered I dont see what the differences is.

Just a quick test. And forgive me for ambushing all of you with this. i wasn't my to, but it fits nicely with the exact topics we've been discussing.

Would you give up bluefin tuna sushi?

It fits most of the same principles we've been discussing.

High in mercury, inhumanely slaughtered, and now...

ENDANGERED???
Originally Posted By: thursday
I see sea shephard are all for ramming ships in antartic waters. How fun is that without endangering lives.

Well it mostly endangers their own lives as their boats are generally a lot smaller than the whaling fleet ships down there.
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Japan through history has hardly responded positively to outside pressure for change. Surely living here you would agree that making the Japanese close ranks on themselves and making a "Japan vs the world" issue out of it is not the best method for instigating change in this country

So what, should we beat them in a war again and write animal rights into their new constitution?

No....now who's being ridiculous? smile

What about all the letter bombs to animal research facilities? I don7t know if there have been any actual fatalities but the intent to cause bodily harm in this way is certainly there....maybe not widespread though.

the war thing was facetious, but only halfway so. Thats the only reason women got the vote.

As for letter bombs, i have not heard of that. I am certainly against that, if its true.

However, i am less inclined to criticize the ALF sabotage of animal research facilities, where no one but the research is harmed, and animals that have been cruelly abused have been saved.
Originally Posted By: Creek Boy

so as long as the dolphins were killed humanely, you'd be cool with it?

I cant say yes to one animal and no to another - its hypocritical. As long as they arent endangered I dont see what the differences is.

Just a quick test. And forgive me for ambushing all of you with this. i wasn't my to, but it fits nicely with the exact topics we've been discussing.

Would you give up bluefin tuna sushi?

It fits most of the same principles we've been discussing.

High in mercury, inhumanely slaughtered, and now...

ENDANGERED???

Bluefins cost more than a car each. If they were priced at normal fish per pound, there would be no more exploitation of the huge bluefin by fishermen eager to supply as many as they could for the cash.

I don't eat toro or meguro, I don't like the taste. If people are willing to pay top notch for them, then go ahead.
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
They have a big festival after the cull and everyone is happy as larry chomping down on Dolphin meat...no one forces them to eat it.

But do they really understand that they are chowing down on toxic levels of mercury and what that mercury can do to their children?

Sounds rather condescending. I bet they don't have TVs either. Damn natives.

Not at all.
How many of us seriously questioned going through a drive thru for a quick dinner with the kids after watching Supersize Me?!

And for what it's worth while I don't like what is going on with whaling I am very anti the way Sea Shepherd and those rainbow warriors conduct themselves. The very definitely fall into the category of eco-nazi!
I see sea shephard are all for ramming ships in antartic waters. How fun is that without endangering lives.

Sea Shepherd has been around since '77, and while they have sunk many whaling vessels, they haven't killed anyone (although people have been injured/concussed in the ramming and launching of stink bombs).

Whether is works or not is debatable. But when 'official' means (like the International Whaling Commission, boycotts, international pressure, petitions) are ineffective, some people will naturally gravitate to stronger and extreme methods. That goes across the board for stopping the wholesale destruction of the earth.

On method SS employed that i DID like, was that they offered a pretty big bounty for the captain of an illegal whaling vessel. The captain, unable to trust any of his own crew, had to retire.

They take dolphins here in Ito, too. It's all kept pretty quiet though. My wife is calling The BOE tomorrow to make sure none of that meat finds its way into the school lunches like they do in Taiji.

none of the above, sorry.

I SAW horse on sale in Switzerland ... the kids were going to grab a 'steak' for dinner and Mummy said "put the horse down..." you should have seen their shocked little faces. It was clearly labeled Cavallo. Sometimes knowing a little bit of other languages is a bonus wink

Strangest thing I ever tried was frogs legs at a French restaurant here in Perth MANY years ago.... but I burst into tears afterwards as I couldn't get the cartoon imagery of a little kermit in a wheelchair that I had seen at school once out of my head. doh

But that DID taste like chicken.

And for what it's worth while I don't like what is going on with whaling I am very anti the way Sea Shepherd and those rainbow warriors conduct themselves. The very definitely fall into the category of eco-nazi!

For clarification, what do you mean by 'rainbow warriors'? Greenpeace? Because Sea Shepherd and Greenpeace are pretty far apart in the way they deal with whalers.

For clarification, what do you mean by 'rainbow warriors'? Greenpeace? Because Sea Shepherd and Greenpeace are pretty far apart in the way they deal with whalers.

Sea Shephard are the Rainbow Warriors of today. But they are both Eco-Nazis.

Sea Shepherd has been around since '77, and while they have sunk many whaling vessels, they haven't killed anyone (although people have been injured/concussed in the ramming and launching of stink bombs).

Whether is works or not is debatable. But when 'official' means (like the International Whaling Commission, boycotts, international pressure, petitions) are ineffective, some people will naturally gravitate to stronger and extreme methods. That goes across the board for stopping the wholesale destruction of the earth.

On method SS employed that i DID like, was that they offered a pretty big bounty for the captain of an illegal whaling vessel. The captain, unable to trust any of his own crew, had to retire.

That's exactly the kind of behaviour I despise.

So, your investments in the stock market are not giving you the deserved rewards, what do you do? Rob a bank?

If you are content comparing the preservation of life on earth to making money on the stock market, then i'm afraid we won't be able to agree.

remember, the WHALERS are the ones violating international law.

I am not trying to provoke argument Oyuki, I would like to see animals slaughtered for human consumption with compassion and reverence and as quickly and painlessly as possible - even if that costs us more. Same for the rearing of said animals.

Do I pay more for my free range chicken instead of buying the 'special' at the supermarket - you bet.

Would I buy cage eggs just because there were no free range available on the shelf that day - hell, no.

But I just don't like excessive activism we have seen in recent months - particularly from Sea Shepherd. I agree that the violation of international law needs to be acted on, and I agree that not enough is being done through appropriate channels - but I just don't think reducing ones self to the lowest common denominator is the way forward.

I though this was a reasonable comparison..

So, your investments in the stock market are not giving you the deserved rewards, what do you do? Rob a bank?

That is my personal view.

You don't have to agree.

Yes, frogs legs are very much chicken like. I like them. But did you know frogs are skinned alive, 'cos the skinning is a lot easier. Nice.

I've skinned a real set of frogs legs....the frog was killed just before....we then attached a battery to its sciatic nerve as it connected to the bottom of its spine (which we had already severed). The skin comes off like a pair of wee trousers.

In the UK they had a real problem for a time with eco-nazis threatening Research staff, targeting their homes (as a reult they had to move house and get special protection from the Police) as well as their place of work. Only research gets harmed.......what about the people who do the research? They also tend to become damaged in the face of an exploding letter.

Chriselle, I would say with almost certainty that it does find its way into Kyushoku meals. Its often packaged as whale meat and the kids eat it that way. For THAT the government want shot, because they know the levels of Mercury and then hide it through re-packaging.

I don't eat any seafood so I wouldn't need to give up Tuna sashimi or sushi.