Hi wave

I've never been to Japan before but thinking about it after hearing about the snow and finding this place. What a brilliant resource! thumbsup

So, thinking of going and wondering how to go about it. Main thing - visit and spend time in big city (Tokyo or maybe just Sapporo?) or just concentrate on the skiing.

I reckon going all that way it makes sense to spend at least a short while checking out Tokyo, but at this stage of (ahem) 'planning' not sure how to fit it in best.

Any thoughts that might be useful from those in the know?

We're thinking of going up to check out Hokkaido, though it's not fixed at all.

Cheers!

Karrn you are going to have a lot of fun planning this vacation!

Enjoy the process.

Firstly you need to decide how long you have and how much you want to spend. Ideally you would have a limitless budget and be able to spent 4 or 5 months - check out resorts on Honshu and Hokkaido and do the cultural touring thing as well ... but for most people that is not a reality. So you will need to prioritize and break all that up into a few trips.

Even on all but the most short ski trips you should be able to get a day or two in Tokyo at least wink

Heya, welcome to a great site, nice to have you come on board. Heaps of great posts here Karrn and if you have the time to invest using the search function, especially the advanced one, its a great way to learn a lot and one I use frequently. You are in a sitaution very similar to the one I was 3 years ago when I found this site.

There are many places you can go to in Japan and those around Sapparo are just a fraction of your choices. I have never been to Niseko but am just finishing up a couple of weeks in Habuka and must say I will certainly return here.

Spending time in Tokyo was an awesome part of my trip as well. You'll find some great info on the place here and some of my posts which aren't so grand.

As the guys above expressed if you have some ideas around timing etc let us know and everyone will do their utmost to help. Once again welcome.

Personally I can't stand cities and avoid them if at all possible. I don't really like Tokyo myself. Just too big and crowded and I can't think of anything worse than spending time in museums or whatever else people like to do in cities. To me all big cities are pretty much the same, some are just more crowded or dirtier than others.

I love the natural world and Japan has some incredible natural landscapes whether it's in the mountains or along the coasts. So me I'd just spend time in the mountains enjoying the skiing and maybe seeing some of the more scenic man mad stuff like in Kyoto.

I think though for a 1st timer to NOT come and spend even a couple of days in the madness of Tokyo would be a shame. Tokyo has a lot of cool city things on offer, yes its huge, yes its dirty and yes its packed......but then you'll appreciate all the open spaces all the more when you get out there riding!! biggrin

City has to be done, not being funny, but coming to Japan and missing out on what the cities have to offer is a heinous crime. Tokyo's skyline is breathtaking, stunning, inspiring on the right day, yet dull, monotonous and grey on the wrong day.

Mix it up, some city, some countryside, some snow. Perfect holiday.