When does the snow disappear from lower slopes in...

Can some people give me an idea of when the snow melts away from town areas and lower slopes in some of the main places? I have read through the daily reports and got a good idea from them but any more comments to add to that?

Wondering whether to go out (and spend the money that ain't there!) in April or not.

At town level, mostly gone probably before the end of this month though there will still be some snow hanging on. Resorts at town level here usually stay open until either the end of March or beginning of April.

Up high on Kagura hangs on until May though so a ways to go yet! Lets hope we get some more decent snowfall though I don't think we'll get much more than 'a bit'.

I'm talking about the Yuzawa area of Niigata.

But... when I was in Hakuba in late March last year, the lower slopes of Happo were half earth - they almost could not open there was just about enough on a thin strip to ski down - and there was hardly any snow at all in the village areas.

lol Muika .... the ribbon of death is an often seen curiosity on the bottom slopes to get to the lifts at the end of season in resorts who manage their snow to extend the life.

I wish I had a camera on me in September last year - the ribbon heading into the Kosi lift at Thredbo (in the morning) was about a foot thick and just marginally wider than a snowboard ... rock hard and icy for the first hour or so too! But it was better than downloading on the chair!

In Niseko like everywhere it depends on the year. I've been here when they've not quite been able to keep a ski out to the village to the end of Golden Week and also when there was still plenty of snow even on the plains around Kutchan at that time. This year with snowfalls continuing it looks like we'll carry a pretty good base into April so they should be able to keep things going right to the end.

Originally Posted By: stemik
yes Happo snow management is not half as good as Hakuba 47.....

Yeah I've been to 47 at the end of April start of may and there was still snow all the way to the bottom. It was as wide as the gerende as well, slushy of course but still ridable

Try reading the archives here for an idea of how long stuff usually stays open.

In Hakuba's case the last ten years I've been here every season apart from last season had full coverage with all runs open into early April.

Some of the mountains close earlier than others. Iwatake closes in the first week of April as does Cortina (not for lack of snow!)

Happo, Tsugaike and Goryu/47 all stay open until the end of Golden week.