Gear Review: Atomic Beta Ride 10.20 Titatnium

Yo,

So saw badmigrane's post on flow bindings, and though it might be interesting if other people posted some gear reviews now that the season is winding down...so I'll give it a go

REVIEW

Ski: ATOMIC BETA RIDE 10.20 TITANIUM (2001-2002 model)

I bought last seasons model from some on-line site out of Aomori. The price couldn't be beat, so I jumped on it (30,000 for the skiis, 4.12 bindings, and shipping! word). 180 cm

The 10.20 is a mid-fat all mountain ski. It is a beast! The first thing you notice with this ski is that it weighs a ton...I think it might even weigh more than the 10.26 Beta Ride gs skiis I own! However, suprisingly, you don't notice the weight while you are riding (except during hikes...it sucks). I used to know what atomic's numbering system meant...but forgot, so get the dimensions off the web...

Terrain:

1) Groomers: This ski really really smokes on groomers and ice...it is obvious that the weight really makes a difference...super fast and stable gs and super-g turns...you have to stay on top of the ski or else it will run away from you...if you ever raced, it feels like a gs ski, but with less work needed to initialize and finish turns...very responsive...it doesn't feel like a 180cm ski, unless you try straight-lining, and then you get some serious wobble...The hold incredibly well on ice...just like a good gs ski...Don't expect to be able to make slalom-esque turns though...its a lot of work, and not really what the skiis want to do...let 'em fly on the wide opens...

2) POWDER!! I thought the weight of the ski might cause me problems in the pow, but not at all! The skiis float incredibly well and are very easy to control in the soft stuff...I have ridden them in boot-top all the way to chest deep and never struggled...the downside is they can't make large sweeping turns, as they will sink...not fat enough...so you are stuck with a shorter-radius turn, but lots of face shots with those type of turns! Suprisingly responsive too in the pow...I was amble to make very reactive moves in deep snow with these planks...all in all a great ride in the deeps! (although I have yet to try true fatty skies in the pow...)

3) CRUD, CRUST, and all the other yucky stuff: Again, here is where the weight really helps out...I can cut through any type of terrain, and it has to be really nasty for me to feel it...the skiis will plow through anything, and I can carve beautiful arcs through very nasty looking conditions...

4) MOGULS: boo...well...I suck in the bumps, and I am still on racing boots, which doesn't help...but these skiis still feel a bit heavy and clumsy in the bumps...the titanium gives them too much stiffness for what is needed to really bash the bumps...

5) TREES, STEEPS: EXCELLENT! They are beasts in the tree...very responsive and turnable...I love em in there...and no problems in the steeps I found in japan, although I have yet to test them on something long-sustained-steep...will have to wait for when I head back to the us...

6) PARK..I am not a park rider (but I want to learn...), and if I was I wouldn't use these...too too heavy...

Honestly, I believe just putting on these skiis improved my skill level...I was doing things this year I wouldn't have even tried last year...they feel so solid underfoot, and really push your limits...I highly reccomend this pair for the all mountain rider with a race-core...

danz

The best skis I bought are these--- Little big Fats

More of a cross fat mid fat ski. They are great in anything but the bumps. Nice and light for fat skis. I have no problems spining and grabbing them. waist is 88mm so you float well even in the sticky stuff. Graphics are a fire breathing dragon.

Danz if you can test these babies.

I am going to demo the 2003 - 2004 Atomic Respections on Thursday at Sapporo Kokusai

Interesting new construction based on Beta Channels but with a new complicated Damping system - will post pictures and report upon return

Could have demoed 2004 SL Beta Race, GS Beta Race, Ambitions or Respections... The respections are the only "new" redesigned ski so I thought they would be a good choice... probably the last day for me this year....

i rode a pair of the dynastar "intuitiv inspired jeremy nobis" and they rocked and absolutely blew me away. they were mounted with the g3 tele binding and were smooth as butter. i have riden the 4x4's (w/ g3 bindings) and felt that they were too wimpy and soft...such is not the case with these boards. they prefer straight line, eat up powder, and rail on the high speed thigh burning cruisers. but they are also soft enough that they are easy to get around and don't mind tight sticky situations. i would recommend them to anyone.

i also gave the atomic ride R:ex (w/ hammerhead tele bindings) a try this season and came away impressed. not as much as the dynstar but very much convinced that they made a fine board with the R:ex. it definitely liked to go straight. so much so that it was difficult to get it to pull out of a turn or a straight line and get it into something tight and steep. it was heavy and stiff and sometimes dove on me in the powder. but put that thing on the groomed or ice and there is no better tool in the quiver.

my go to board though is the volkl G41. they are two years old (green top sheet) and are a good combination of the two boards listed above. they rail like only a volkl can; hard, fast, and furious, but can be thrown into almost any situation (except moguls....i hate moguls). they are silky smooth coming out of turns and like to be put into a rthymn from the moment you get off the lift to time you get on the chair again. they don't like to stop and especially enjoy going from groomed to crud to powder, back to groomed...all within a very short distance and at a high velocity. one word describes them....yummy!

i have no idea how any of these do in the park. parks are too difficult on freeheels so i usually stay out of them (and my body is too bruised to learn). the volkls have a flaired tail tail so they might do alright. but i think they might all be too stiff.

I bought my wife salomom pocket rockets 165cms this year. She had been tring for years to keep up in the powder and all it did was make her tired. I debated for a month on what to buy. I was worried that she wouldnt be able to turn them.

Turns out they were just about the perfect buy. She loves them although they are a bit heavy for her. (they just havent made good, women only pow skis yet) She kept up at Cortina early in the season and she continues to do so.

My Japanese wagamama friend was shocked to see my wife sking everywhere. After a month of talking to him he bought them for his wife too and she is also doing well.

Fat is the way to go, dont worry you will still get face shots.