not so much in accomodation, but more about the ski area. I look for one where hopefully I can find as few ostentatious people as possible. Unfortunately snow sports, like many activities have an abundance of this kind of person.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

–adjective

1.characterized by or given to pretentious or conspicuous show in an attempt to impress others: an ostentatious dresser.

2.(of actions, manner, qualities exhibited, etc.) intended to attract notice: Lady Bountiful's ostentatious charity.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
I am interested to hear what people are looking for, or love to find, in their accommodation when they head for the slopes. I am particularly interested in self contained apartment info - but I would think there are others out there keen to know the full spectrum so let's hear it!

BATHROOM! I need a good bathroom.

What is your idea of a good bathroom, I'm Sexy?

I like heated floors, deep bath, separate shower, decent sized vanity/basin and a big mirror. Lots of racks and hooks to hang the towels on too. Also like shower head to be one that can be hand held - fixed showerheads suck.

I agree many thing you said there.

I really do not like fixed showerhead and don't understand the reason for that!

Also shower curtain around bath..... not good idea!!

If I have shower I like space to move and able to splash all everywhere.

Also toilet not next to basin please! It is also bad idea I think.

I think fixed shower heads used to be a cheaper option, but now it is relatively inexpensive to have a handheld showerhead with more than one position point (like is so common in Japan). I like that better. Makes it more easy to have a good shower without wetting your hair in the morning before skiing! When it is an overhead fixed one, almost impossible!

Yes I'm sexy .... shower curtains - yuk! Always end up ON you. I had a horrible shower curtain/shower over the bath set up in a hotel in Milan, Italy last year - HORRIBLE. I got out of the shower really grumpy every morning.

Those shower heads use stupid amounts of water and require very good pressure. They are only really user friendly if you DO also have a hand held - but they rarely do. Cupping the water is not a suitable replacement - the thing that annoys me MOST about some hotel bathrooms are the stupid fixed shower heads.

Our shower, in our home, is a designated "access" bathroom. There is no curtain, no hob, no impediment to access because of anything on the floor. Drainage is by a trough drain about 1.8m long (with a tiled cover on it) and the entire floor of the room is flat (well, sloped towards the drain,,but essentially flat).

It has a handheld shower head with a rail fitting, so the head can be located wherever you want between 800 and 1200mm from the floor. There will be (eventually) a seat for chair-bound persons to use while showering. Doors are 850 wide with lift-off hinges to make easy access if there's a problem in there with a differently abled person inside.

The clear area of floor is consistent with the requiremments of the Aus Standards for access, there are no floor mounted things (except for the bath) and there is space under the basin for a chair to manoeuvre, with knees as well.

Why is that JA?

Interesting to me, as my friends daughter is in a wheelchair, and they have just built a new house - with suitable build to suit her needs. It has been interesting to watch the process. Things like making kitchen benches slightly lower than standard were done too. And the hallway was made much wider to allow her to negotiate in and out of the rooms off the hall.

Basically planning ahead. Looking to t he time when we might both (or one of us) mighht need such detail. Also potential for homestay with chairbound guests. (We would be able to advertise accessible!)

As well, we have built a 25m long curved ramp to accessibility specs and we are in the process of laying tiles on it (all with non-slip surface) and that is taking a little time (actually a bloody lot of time!) to do, between other things we need to do and work.

Our hall is 850mm wide, the doors are all sliding and have min 850mm opening, with small ramps to reduce the need for a "wheelie" to get through. The Aus Standard is a rioght PITA to navigate, but we persevered because of the ideas we had for the potential of the place.

Since we also intend to have coach visits to our olive grove (and press) we had to reduce the impediments to visitation as far as possible. Accessibility is paramount in that. (we also have an accessible toilet for that reason).

+1 is "vertically challenged" (her words, not mine) and our benchtops are slightly lower than "normal" - such that I have difficulty using them due to being "normal" height! wink

LOL! My Mum's bench tops are all a tad lower than normal also - drives me at (5'6") banana's!!

I think it is awesome that you made the place accessible.

Our house is FAR from wheelie friendly and I am extremely thankful that my friends daughter is more agile in her chair than most 16 year olds are on their legs. But it is getting very hard for my Nanna to come and visit now - too many stairs.

Our ski shack is not wheelie friendly either. Which is a shame.

One suggestion if you are making these kind of accommodations for tourism purposes is to include access for the HoH and Deaf. They are often overlooked, and accommodating them is as simple as having whatever is said on the tour printed on a handout - perhaps breaking it up into a number of small pages for stages of the tour, with the pertinent facts printed on.