I am interested to hear what people are looking for, or love to find, in their accommodation when they head for the slopes. I am particularly interested in self contained apartment info - but I would think there are others out there keen to know the full spectrum so let's hear it!

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me:

Laundry.

I want laundry access with a dryer in the building. And I like to be able to find places to hang stuff that doesn't like the dryer within my accommodation - so lots of towel racks, hooks etc. Probably not so important for people who don't stay long, but when we stay for a week or more I think it is essential.

Ski/Board Storage

I don't like it when you get back to your accommodation at the end of the day and there is no specific spot to put your gear. Last place in Thredbo we just lent the boards up against the wall at the end of the garage.

Clothing storage

I don't really care if it is hanging or drawer storage, as long as there is SOME hanging, even just a hook on the back of a door, but I like to be able to put clothes away somewhere.

My boys are pretty insistent that there are enough pillows - and preferably not the ball bearing pillows they kept finding in Japan.

I'm not sure really, the only time I've ever paid for ski accommodation was my first couple of trips here and that was before all the western accomm was built. We stayed in a backpacker (private room) in Izumikyo just down the road from Hirafu. Had a free shuttle bus which was convenient.

Other than that I've always slept in a tents when going skiing! lol

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
My boys are pretty insistent that there are enough pillows - and preferably not the ball bearing pillows they kept finding in Japan.

Oh yes. One place we went the pillows were like bricks. Who likes those?!

Good breakfast is good for me too.

Nice place, not noisy.

location, location, location...........before living in a ski resort....I would always book ski in /ski out or as close as possible.

I like stiff pillows, can't stand the soft ones. I end up folding them up or put a phone book (directory) in them.

In Europe, if I am on public transport, close proximity to bus stop.

Breakfast is always the same o, but if I get boiled eggs and good schinken, bonus! Bath is always preferable.

Good dining at end of the day, whether at the accomodation or restaurants near by.

Something else silly that makes a big difference to me is coat hangers. Yes, I am serious!

I hate it when you have this massive closet to stick your gear in and just 3 or 4 mismatched coat hangers in there. I would be delighted to open a closet and find a plethora of matching wooden coat hangers! (but heavy duty plastic ones in the drying room/closet)

We like having a self contained bathroom and bath. I get annoyed when there is no shelving or drawers to put stuff on....it's amazing how many places we've stayed at that I have to leave all my stuff in my travel bag for lack of anything to put it on..grr. Comfortable pillows!!?..haven't found a single one..not one.

Another peeve is places that up-charge for the weekend even though we have booked 4 consecutive nights..Thurs-Sun.

Other than that I'm VERY flexible.. biggrin

Price is the most important factor.

I really hate places that charge by the person. Especially when rates for a family of 4 ends up at over $400 a night.

Nothing worse than feeling overcharged for accomnmodatiobn.

(Well, there is but I thought I a bit of dramatics were called for!)

Once stayted in a place in Hakuba - don't think it is there now - and they wanted 8000 yen each for a frankly dirty little room. I remember feeling really robbed that time. It was asking for way more than it's worth.

Value for $. I've stayed in backpackers to 5 star over the years so as long as it was worth what I was paying ....

A smile at the front desk

Toliet in the room and preferably a shower but not critical.

High quality linen.

TV with English channels

Independent control of heating and/or cooling

Ability to open window

Secure

Friendly staff who will suffer through odd requests (where are the panty vending machines - a mates request honestly lol)

Walking distance to good bars and food

Transport if required to slopes and travel hub

Books to borrow and read

Similar aged guests from diverse backgrounds

Somewhere within the hotel to chill and have a bevy with other guests

Internet so I can answer questions like this LOL

BTW have all this where I am staying now in Hakuba

Originally Posted By: panhead_pete
You going to buid US a place MB? smile

lol Very funny!

No... we are in the process of settling on a place in Thredbo (hopefully the first of a few ski shacks around the world - I'll be pushing for Niseko next).

We are buying it so that we can stay there - in a location we love, with the things we want, with storage for our gear (less carrying gear back and forth multiple times thru our season) ... but we will have it on the rental market for the times we aren't using it.

The place needs a little work, particularly with the finishing touches - the things that make a place great as opposed to a shell with a bed close to the slopes. So I was just curious as to what things people might like in a property.

I am a bit dark about this season though as the management company is booking up all the times we can use it with our kids, and until settlement we can't do anything about it...and by then it will be too late. So it will likely get rented out as is this year, with us having a working bee over summer and booking it up for ourselves for winter 2011!

I am thinking about adding things like a DVD collection and PS2 plus games up in the loft, a small novel library...

You could have a PC with a heap of movies on the hard drive and also set up iTunes that way too... There is a Wii here which has been great fun too at times.

Good luck with the purcahse MB, hope it works out as well as it can.

Oh another idea. Clock.

Yeah .. Pete...what is with a lot of places NOT having a clock!! I usually have to check the time on my mobile phone.

ohhh...that is going to be one pain about this place just realized) - phone reception - I needed to go out onto the road to pick it up - I wonder if there is an aerial you can buy that will amplify the signal into the apartment?..

It has been 2 years of looking at properties in both Thredbo (and surrounds) and Niseko, but we are finally writing cheques so it will happen ... always takes longer than you think though, doesn't it!

I have been asked that question a lot Pete,

Why Thredbo...

Firstly, let me say that the first purchase (much as I LOVE Hokkaido) was going to be in Australia. There a a HEAP of reasons for that.

We have been to a few other resorts - among them Perisher, Falls Creek and Mt Hotham, but we are hooked on Thredbo.

The ambiance of the village, the terrain, and the access are big positives for us. But more than anything is the friendships we have made with other Thredbo devotee's or people living/working in the area.

It is just SO easy to get to Thredbo from Perth. An afternoon flight, a night in a Canberra hotel (coz I would prefer NOT to compete with the Kangaroo's on the drive up there) - and then a 2.5 hr drive on awesome roads and you are there.

The property is in Crackenback Ridge which is out of the bustle of the village, but a nice walk to and from the restaurants and bars (we feel very pious when we walk uphill after a big meal). It is also only 50m from access to the Supertrail - pretty close to ski in and ski out.

I have criticisms of Thredbo - I am not one eyed, but the good FAR outweighs the bad for us. The biggest drawback I see is the small beginner area of Friday Flat - it is far too crowded and dangerous with all those out of control newbies, and no snowplay area's - sledding or tubing etc. But I am quite happy to drive family and friends around to Perisher for those things.