I haven't seen this posted here so I thought I should share. JR East's Eki-Net website, under the Tours section has a subsection called "Internet Only Plans" (インターãƒãƒƒãƒˆé™å®š). You can get a Shinkansen return ticket plus one-day lift ticket for various locations, for example Kagura, for 8000 yen. The return ticket is for non-reserved seats only, so is probably more useful on weekdays than on weekends. You will need to be able to read and write Japanese for this. The tickets can only be picked up on the day of your departure at a special booth next to the View Plaza in Tokyo station, near the Yaesu central entrance. They open at 5:30 am I think. I did this a couple of weeks ago, got the bus from Echigo Yuzawa to Mitsumata which costs another 500 yen one-way with luggage. My cheapest day trip yet!

Originally Posted By: Snobomon
The tickets can only be picked up on the day of your departure at a special booth next to the View Plaza in Tokyo station, near the Yaesu central entrance. They open at 5:30 am I think.

Tickets can be picked up at any time, from any View Plaza, once booked.

We are clearly talking about different offerings. For the 8000 yen ticket, you do need to go to the special counter, on the same day. The Eki-Net website was a bit confusing about that - even a Japanese friend of mine wasn't too sure what to make of it. So I went one day early just to be told that they only hand them out on the same day.

Do you have a link then?

All the discount tickets I have bought from eki-net, and that's about 7 this season alone, have either been sent to me or been available to pick up from view plaza.

Sorry for the delay. I am in Niseko right now, and with the awesome conditions we have had here the last couple of days, getting online was the last of my concerns!

Yes, I do mean the link that XilR8 has posted. I bought the one for Kagura. There is an option to have it sent by post but then, naturally, you need to decide when you want to go some time in advance. I like watching the weather forecast and make up my mind two days in advance. One day would be even better but the ticket doesn't allow that.

Originally Posted By: Snobomon
Sorry for the delay. I am in Niseko right now, and with the awesome conditions we have had here the last couple of days, getting online was the last of my concerns!

Yes, I do mean the link that XilR8 has posted. I bought the one for Kagura. There is an option to have it sent by post but then, naturally, you need to decide when you want to go some time in advance. I like watching the weather forecast and make up my mind two days in advance. One day would be even better but the ticket doesn't allow that.

So we were talking about the same thing.
Originally Posted By: muikabochi
I want to once more complain about this too-cheap deal and the lack of the reverse equivelant! grandpa

Build a mountain and a ski slope in tokyo then. razz

I used this plan the other day to Kagura for 8,100 yen plus like a three hundred yen discount for board set rental. Sweet deal for me whose working days vary every week. I just check the weather report for the next couple of days, if its good, i book even as late as 1-2 days before. Also, not much people in the resort since its weekdays biggrin

• 2 weeks later...

@SKI: snow was good since it snowed last night. im probably gonna use this plan a few more times since kagura has one of the longest season in Near-Tokyo area. Only sucks that I get the same snowboard every time I rent. The rental shop in kagura doesnt seem to have a lot of snowboard stock....