I think they keep it around for me the school tours show up. A few years ago we took the kids to Madarao and the stuff they gave them to use was circa 1970. Definitely not a good way to promote the sport to future customers!

I have in the past seen some really dodgy gear for rent, i think the skis were made of wood.

My guess is that you will find lots of new stuff in somewhere like Niseko, while struggling to survive places might not be so, er, new.

Would be interesting to know how it all works and what the shelf life is though.

I know the rentals departments in Thredbo just did a big buy up of new equipment for this coming season.

They rent (as most places I have seen) at different levels - beginner gear, performance gear and demo gear. I often wonder if the older demo stuff just gets stuck in with the beginner gear...

The issues that I have had with the hire gear has never really been about the boards...more about the bindings, their failure or their lack of security in attachment to the board. I suppose you get that when you are removing and moving bindings all the time.

The rental stuff in the resorts around my area seem to be relatively new, definately not 70's stuff. But I guess due to the shear volume of rental equipment that the resorts require they cannot renew their stuff so often. Or they may not wish to as the more often they renew the less profit they will make and these days its all about making a profit.

This is why my daughter and I have all are own gear, and the latest stuff, more for safety then anything. And having your own stuff means you can get used to it and perform to your best allowing you to really enjoy the time on the slopes.

Obviously this is not possible for those who are not living in ski countries or who don't go often, then rental is the only way!

I have an old pair of skis as well as a brand new pair I got last month, the old ones are about 8 years old now, but still perfectly ok, they are scratched and chipped, but still work fine and bindings are secure, having said that I basically stopped using them this year. But not sure what the life span of a set of skis or a board is?

Originally Posted By: Mamabear

The issues that I have had with the hire gear has never really been about the boards...more about the bindings, their failure or their lack of security in attachment to the board. I suppose you get that when you are removing and moving bindings all the time.

Can you buy a set of good bindings and take them with you. They are relatively light and not too bulky. Get them fitted to the hire board and off you go.

A couple of years ago, I bought a pair of ex-rental skis. They were one season old and had been fully reconditioned by the shop owner (who posts on a couple of local boards here in Oz). I have been to his shop and know the gear he has.

They were in tiptop condition and haven't put a foot wrong since. Still using them!

Yeah, I was pretty shocked too! It wasn't so much the skis, they only looked about 10 years old or so, but the clothing they gave our students was truly appalling. Super super old ratty looking stuff that had no water-proofing at all; which, as we all know, is essential for beginners as they spend a lot of time on their butts! Lots of cold and shivering kids on that trip!

I supervised in a large rental shop on a resort many years ago and when the stock was replaced about half was sold to a small far away resort which didnt compete with us and the rest although still usable were all chopped in half so they couldnt be sold or rented out cheaply to any possible customers. Ski rental departments on resorts are extremely profitable and as the equipment is purchased in bulk it is quite cheap and soon pays for itself.

BM, that is truly appalling, but not uncommon really.

We hired ski pants for our eldest two their very first trips with school, but bought the jackets because they were hideous, and looked dodgy with water proofing.

KRUSTY, Instead of carving the stuff up why not use them in ski furniture ... I love the benches made from old snowboards, and have seen some cute jacket hook racks made from ski's.

That is a great idea Mamabear.

Lots of snowboarders spend most of their time sitting on their bits while connected to thier boards, so it's not much of a stretch to sit on the board in a bar or elsewhere too! razz

Salomons and Hansons? They are great. So light and warm.

Don't see much new snowboard stock in Europe, unless there is a test centre on that resort. However, with skis, lots of new gear you can try out. Advantage of being a skier, maybe.

Originally Posted By: SKI

Lots of snowboarders spend most of their time sitting on their bits while connected to thier boards, so it's not much of a stretch to sit on the board in a bar or elsewhere too! razz

Not MB or myself.....we have nice click in bindings where we can strap in as we go....no need to sit on our behinds!! groovy
Originally Posted By: KRUSTY
I supervised in a large rental shop on a resort many years ago and when the stock was replaced about half was sold to a small far away resort which didnt compete with us and the rest although still usable were all chopped in half so they couldnt be sold or rented out cheaply to any possible customers. Ski rental departments on resorts are extremely profitable and as the equipment is purchased in bulk it is quite cheap and soon pays for itself.

Where do the rental shops buy their gear from? I would imagine there are trade wholsalers or something of the like but I have found no info on it....well none that my limited J-go will allow me to deciper! smile
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Originally Posted By: SKI

Not MB or myself.....we have nice click in bindings where we can strap in as we go....no need to sit on our behinds!! groovy

True Tubby! And I fall over less now too lol
I was thinking of using one of our old delam-ed kids boards and making a seat out of it to have at the back door of the property we are buying at the moment. Handy to get the boots on and off.
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Originally Posted By: KRUSTY

Where do the rental shops buy their gear from? I would imagine there are trade wholsalers or something of the like but I have found no info on it....well none that my limited J-go will allow me to deciper! smile

Most common for any large ski rental to obtain equipment from one ski distributor in the country in which it operates. If I remember correctly when buying more than 30 sets of skis we could choose our own topsheet eg design/wording/colour. Smaller rental outfits may buy on the grey market but wont get the makers support, payment plans/financing and probably no warranty for construction defects. Theres a tradeshow every spring with the following seasons product and you would discuss your requirements with the different reps and they will later come back with a quote.

yeah I've heard that the factories in China, where some of the top brands are made, can sell to you direct for almost cost price....trying to get that information is like hunting the Unicorn!!

we get some new demo skis every year from suppliers (usually Salomon, Ogasaka, Rossignol and Head... sometimes get some from Elan too) usually around mid March. They're all the stock for the next season and we rent them out for JPY 2,000 for half day and JPY 3,000 for a full day. At the end of the season, we usually just sell them off.

The ones we receive early are used about times where as the later ones only see about 10 uses. I know some of the good rental stores sell their stock off after 2 seasons because they keep getting new stock (largely because the Japanese 'hardcore' skiers really want to try the new skis :S).

We're not a rental store and we're just using the stock as demonstrators but I've already got my name down for the Head Titan =3