For those living in ski towns - what are the conditions like now?

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Snow showers during the day and night yesterday.

Had to clear the driveway. Noticed it was so fluffy and light powder.

The kind that doesn't settle on the mountain and drifts becomes avi risk at this time. Still pretty stoked I'm off tomorrow.

Today's sunny.

Just had a great day on the mountain. We'd had around 15cm of good quality powder overnight and it continued snowing heavily all morning. Did some turns in blueberry's and strawberry's early on because of the poor vis up high. It was up to knee deep in places but I was still hitting a crust underneath. The crust wasn't too hard and each run I had fresh lines so it was still fun. Had some lunch and things had started to clear so went up to the peak. I headed down Jackson's and the first bit off the peak being a little exposed I was still hitting the base if I cut the turn fairly hard but when I got out above the cornice on Higashi One it started getting deep. Went down to the left side of the cornice, the clouds parted and the sun lit up the whole slope below and there wasn't a track to be seen! Dropped into around thigh deep blower pow, couldn't feel the base at all and struggled to breath with face shots on every turn. Went up again and this time it was completely clear right at the peak. Back down Jackson's and there was only a couple of other tracks since the last run. Was a good day thumbsup

Bugger Honshu! razz

Since writing the above this afternoon we've had about another 30cm of snow and it's still dumping. Tomorrow is going to be crazy good! clap

no new snow this morning - but should start dumping by the afternoon......bumped into Panhead Pete last night......nice guy, nice guy!

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Nothing here either.

I don't think "dumping" will be a particularly correct way to describe what is coming. Doesn't look like it's going to be a huge amount falling here.

yeah the storm seems to be downgraded yet again doh...

Actually looks like the higher altitudes in my area may get more snow than niigata side, all the mountains around me here are nice and white after snow yesterday and the day before.

Might even get snow down to my house level 350metres, will post later if anything good eventuates.

Originally Posted By: snowdude
Actually looks like the higher altitudes in my area may get more snow than niigata side, all the mountains around me here are nice and white after snow yesterday and the day before.
Might even get snow down to my house level 350metres, will post later if anything good eventuates.

So, a day trip to Fujimiten might be an option rather than the long drive to Hakuba??
Originally Posted By: Chriselle
Originally Posted By: snowdude

So, a day trip to Fujimiten might be an option rather than the long drive to Hakuba??

It might if you are close, obviously the amount of snow base and size of resort is not comparable to Hakuba, but if your close and the snow does fall heavy, would be good to do.
If it wasn't for my broken finger and the fact I am too busy this week I would be out on the slopes of my local ski jo as they have had a good several cm's of new snow over the past few days, with more currently falling.
Originally Posted By: Oyuki kigan
Snowing pretty good all day today in Hakuba

Yes indeed and a great arvo in the lower parts of the mountain where the vis was much better. Looking fwd to the morning, just put the bindings on the powder board smile