For those living in ski towns - what are the conditions like now?

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No new snow overnight but the pistes are hard and fast this morning. Lots of folks hiking up on Happo ridge for backcountry skiing/riding

Congrats to the wee one Stemik! Thats quite an achievement when you consider the level of skill of the youngsters in this town. The elementary school actually has a "miniature" ski jump in the back yard thats actually pretty big and all the kids have to jump off it for P.E.!

I think someone asked for some pics from yesterday (Tuesday)...Here are some plus a vid. good as it gets!

Matt_18.JPG

Matt_17.JPG

Matt_16.JPG

Matt_15.JPG

Well...it's raining now but the morning was nice. I couldn't make it out but one of our staff plus a few mates took the camera up and did some easy lines of the back of Happo.

Looks like Spring has arrived now so t-shirt weather, park days and corn lines in the backcountry to look forward too.

Matt_20.JPG

Matt_19.JPG

Matt_21.JPG

Matt_22.JPG

Originally Posted By: gurgle

Nice piccies guys....look at all the people in Zao - About as busy as Happo back country....!!!

Where do you work Matt ?

I Run a lodge in Hakuba Gurgle.

been raining here most of the day btw. Should clear tomorrow..

Looks like good snow, too. Not too heavy.

Crazy over here...

Tuesday 60km winds blowing so we went for a 5 hr walk up to 1800m from 1000m.

Wednesday, gorgeous day, mountain covered with knee deep powder! One of the runs we did was from 3300m to 1800m, 10km run but we made short cuts so maybe 7km mostly making fresh tracks. The longest freeride run I made! Imagine Matt's pic with better snow and longer runs...

Snagged a rock and flipped over and landed on top of another one. Very lucky to land on my back where I had back protectors.

Thursday, snowing, foggy, and windy. Couldn't see what was ahead so stuck to the flagged routes. In the morning, the fresh snow was covering the tracked out hard crust. Not so good. I had a sick tummy,(I think it was the fruit salad from breakfast), and I was wobbly. We did manage to get some nice runs in the afternoon after more snow buildup.

When we went down to the car park, wow, nearly knee deep fluffy powder and still snowing. The next day would be tops! we left it like that.

Missus's parents and brother are out touring now.

As you probably know from the Yuzawa Now reports yesterday was the last day for a number of places in this area. From now it's Kandatsu and Naeba until next week, Gala and then Kagura.