For those living in ski towns - what are the conditions like now?

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Originally Posted By: MitchPee
Not sure if anyone cares, but UT has been having a really dry winter. No rain abnormal warmth, but just no snow falling. Been tough but oh well.

Utah is mostly desert Mitch. Got to expect a drought now and again!

Yes GN, but the Wasatch actually is the reason for it being a desert. It sucks up all the moisture as it continues up the mountains and after it takes it's force from the Great Salt Lake, it dumps it in the mountains. Then it dries out after it rolls through the mountains. The problem is that the storm systems have been going North of us (to Washington in the early season) and now to the South of us (Mammoth CA) It is desert mostly and I know what you mean about the drought though smile that was this summer.

Spring conditions for a significant part of Feb. :(

Just got back from Gulmarg. Spring-like conditions for the most part except for the huge dump on the last 2 days. That saved the trip. I was checking Snowjapan occasionally while I was there, and the snow reports were disheartening. :(

it's currently lightly snowing at the moment; the snow conditions is wet slush but the top part somewhat froze. It's not too bad if you know where to ski and where to avoid but on the whole, it's pretty tiresome. Yesterday's snow had a lot of dirt mixed into it; it basically stuck onto the skis and slowed things down heaps but things are better today. I'd recommend doing thorough cleaning of the skis before waxing... though the merits of waxing in these conditions are debatable.

Wet snow itself isn't too bad, it's when the new powder mixes with the wet and then freezes over that it gets tiresome.

Mitch, bummer to hear it hasn't been a good season there either. I'm sure you can guess how well it's going in Seattle based on what one saw from the Olympics.

We might hit Whistler later this month though. Got a few pre-paid days that we need to use.

I've never been to Mammoth before but heard good things. They're getting a good amount of snow this season eh? Maybe I can talk Lily into going there biggrin

Originally Posted By: SantaCruz
Mitch, bummer to hear it hasn't been a good season there either. I'm sure you can guess how well it's going in Seattle based on what one saw from the Olympics.

We might hit Whistler later this month though. Got a few pre-paid days that we need to use.

I've never been to Mammoth before but heard good things. They're getting a good amount of snow this season eh? Maybe I can talk Lily into going there biggrin

Haha yeah James, Whistler should be fun. Mammoth has been getting crushed all year with snow.
Originally Posted By: MitchPee
Haha yeah James, Whistler should be fun. Mammoth has been getting crushed all year with snow.

I've always had a good time at Whistler. Even if the conditions are just so so, the village is good time. It's looking like we're gonna be up there around March 26th or so. Prob do 2 nights and 3 days.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
SantaCruz, looks like you are having one good season !
thumbsup

It's def been a solid season. In spite of the goofy weather and snow fall seemingly everywhere, I'd still say it's been my best season so far smile

Its been lightly snowing for the last few hours here and yesterday's slush is now icey with poor vis thrown in for free. Happo was a bit torn up in places and the fun factor wasnt as high as it has been. Maybe the next few days will see conditions improve.

We had another 20cm yesterday and last night. Pretty good up there today. A little mild this afternoon but more snow forecast tonight and plenty of colder and snowier weather forecast next week.

Epic, epic day today. True bottomless pow and fresh turns all day. Insane amounts of people but an amazing day. Best pow day of the year so far. Couldn't send any real big cliffs with my buddies but I got enough 20 footers to keep me happy for a long long time.

Wet here, light rain at the moment, but does look like we are on for some snow here sunday into monday and maybe tuesday, but really depends if the freezing level drops enough over this area!