For those living in ski towns - what are the conditions like now?

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not much snow for a few weeks now, warm temperatures and rain = spring conditions, though I haven't actually been skiing myself in this area for a few weeks now. My friend went yesterday and while had a fun time said conditions were heavy and slushy.

This is the Yuzawa/Minamiuonuma area of Niigata.

Took my daughter skiing with her friends last sunday in kiyosato, yamanashi as they had an event planned. Luckly it snowed about 5-10cm sat night in sunday morning, but even with that snow the conditions on the slopes were shite to say the least. I didn't ski because of my broken finger, but did walk onto the base of the slopes and boots sunk into the slush and new snow!Better than being frozen solid I guess!

It has been just too warm recently! Having said that colder yesterday and today, quite a cool wind in fact.

Not great in Niseko. Not enough fresh snow over the last few days. Although I met some guys on Monday night who said it was the best they've ever experienced (Aussies) and I haven't met any unhappy guests yet. I guess I'm extremely spoilt and my standards are rather high but honestly it's really not good off-piste. We need more snow! A fair bit forecast for tomorrow night and here's hoping it exceeds expectations.

I'll post on behalf of Nozawa, Madarao and Shiga Kogen.

Similar story. Really not much snow at all for weeks now as the reports and posts say so it's very much spring out there. Not bad in itself but we don't want spring yet! Many areas seem to be saying something for late weekend early next week, but it doesn't look like it's going to be a 50cm bonanza sadly. Whatever, we'll take what we can get!

Yes it is similar in Zao.

We did have snow yesterday which was nice but generally the spring conditions have arrived. It is colder this morning but not a whole lot of snow on the forecast.

Well, I'm in south Munich, Bavaria so it doesn't count, but ...

YEAH, Snowing pretty damned heavily outside at the moment! thumbsup

It's not finished in Europe. Still Level 2 & 3 avi risk.

Originally Posted By: best skier in hakuba
Very unseasonably warm few weeks with more rain than we would expect/like. Fairly strong winds today and still mild but perhaps early next week can bring us some fresh fluffy cheer.
friend

Yep :( Its slushly too but prefer that over really icey conditions so there is always an upside smile Might go see the snow monkeys instead.....

I should note that it's definitely not Spring conditions in Hokkaido. It's not mid winter bitter cold but it's not slushy out there either. Temps have remained below freezing since the warm patch last week. The snow that has fallen has been good quality, we just need more of it!

Of course we care Mitch --- International Snow worshipers and all!! wink

Dang .... hoping for a BIG HUGE STORM to sweep thru and top it all up next week some time just in time for Mamabear to get her toosh over for a few turns.

Originally Posted By: MitchPee
Not sure if anyone cares, but UT has been having a really dry winter. No rain abnormal warmth, but just no snow falling. Been tough but oh well.

Utah is mostly desert Mitch. Got to expect a drought now and again!