Just saw Mamabears thread about her son's 'gap year'.

Do many people do that now?

Not many of my friends did when I was that age but it seems like a really good idea, if people make good use of it.

It was on offer when I was at uni. I just thought, why? I don't need the year to get some sort of experience/connections, I want to be in and out and doing my thing in the big bad world.

Gap years are good if you want the perceived security of having some sort of experience in the field of your studies. But the hunters come to the uni every year. And they want white sheets of paper to draw their pictures on.

Neither Papa nor I had a gap year - many of our friends did though...but we just wanted to 'get on with it' and live our lives - but we were always in the fast lane (married at 20, kids at 22).

Reaper, however, skipped a year (smartypants) at school and was a full year younger than his peers. We thought it would be a disaster if his mates at Uni were all going to the Tavern and he had to refuse to join them because he would not be legal until into his 2nd year (they card them). He also wanted to work and save some money for an oversea's trip (Niseko), so he wasn't sitting idle. As a bonus it gave him a year to mature, consider whether he wanted to study or stick with the kind of manual work he was doing. He got an understanding of the value if money. He got his drivers license. He got his forklift license. And his boat skippers ticket...

I am glad he took the year.

The 2nd son is talking about a gap year also - it almost seems like a right rather than an option among the local kids. But I think it needs to be a productive year - a lot of the local kids think they deserve a years holiday at their parents expense because they worked so hard in high school... rollabout slap

Yeah I didn't do it either....my parents convinced me to see out University....then I came to Japan for 2 years THEN had a Gap year, bumming around the world. I sure wish i still was bumming around the world.......but at least I'm in Japan lazing around! biggrin

6 months in India at age 18 smile time of my life.

It was bad for me though, I struggled to fit into uni after that experience (I became dismissive of my peers who had gone straight infrom school).

Originally Posted By: bobby12

It was bad for me though, I struggled to fit into uni after that experience (I became dismissive of my peers who had gone straight infrom school).

Understandable that.
If all they are worried about is their parents nagging them to clean their room or who said what to whom... and you have seen a much harsher side of life and lived on your own for a long period of time, you are bound to find them pathetically egocentric.

It took child number two a little while before he could cope with the trivialities of other peoples worries after returning from a Pilgrimage to Nepal. Working with kids rescued from the sex trade, building school facilities for kids whose parents are in jail and holding the hands of the dying leaves you wondering what the heck you personally have to worry about. But all your mates don't have the same frame of reference.

If you have the opportunity to do something like that I think it is worth it. Even though there are those adjustment issues when you get back. It changes your outlook on life forever.

I've had more "gap" years than not. Right out of high school I was out on the road in a full time touring rock band for a few years. After my undergrad I was back out on the road with a country band. Toyed with the idea of grad school...but quit before I actually started to come to Japan....been "gappin" ever since. party

I went straight into uni but took a year off between 2nd and 3rd year. Worked for 6 months, saved my butt off and then spent 6 months in Sth America. Was awesome.

In the first few years after uni I'd work 6-8 months and then travel till I ran out of money. Come home and do it all again.

Finally settled down, got married and worked seriously for about 8 years with no more than a month break at a time. Did my first ski trip here 7 years ago, loved it and came back for a month the followng year. We ended up staying 4 months after getting a job for the season. Loved the place so much starting chatting to the wife about living here and she was up for it. Got back that summer with sponsored working visas and haven't looked back.

I worked for three years before doing my under graduate degree and I think it was a valuable experience. It made me realise that work was hard and study was easy. smile The four years of poverty was also good for the soul, as was learning so many potatoe recipes.

It would be good for boys to do this as well as we just take so damn long to mature, Im over 40 now and think Im about the same maturity of most of the 25 year old woman I meet, but I work hard at not growing up ..... smile

Originally Posted By: bobby12
6 months in India at age 18 smile time of my life.

I did similar though I was in Indonesia for 9 months.
Loved it.
As well as not fitting in as much, I just didn't want to study at all when I got back!

My "gap" was a 3 month job in the local abattoir prior to taking up a metallurgy traineeship.

The gap year has become a "tradition", the same as schoolies - another unnecessary way to waste working time and pretend that you're "learning about yourself" or "finding yourself" or other internalised cr@p.

Get a job!

Originally Posted By: JA
My "gap" was a 3 month job in the local abattoir prior to taking up a metallurgy traineeship.

The gap year has become a "tradition", the same as schoolies - another unnecessary way to waste working time and pretend that you're "learning about yourself" or "finding yourself" or other internalised cr@p.

Get a job!

screw that......put off getting a job for as long as you can afford it! Go live life while your young enough to enjoy it, cos if not your gonna end up a crabby old dude like JA!! wink lol

I went to Uni, then had 2 years "working" in Japan then a year officially travelling....there was no "finding myself" I knew exactly where I was and where I wanted to go.....to the nearest establishment thatserved ice cold beer and had (at least a few) hot young ladies haning around!!! smile

Man I miss travelling!! sadface

If there's anything I've ever learned over the years having a real job and making money is no path to happiness, at least for me. Tried it and hated it. Find what really makes you happy in this life and aim to do more of it. Working has never made me happy, it's just a means to an end. If it takes a year or 3 or more off to search for what really makes you happy then it's time very well spent.

Well luckily I did very well out of property investment in Aus so my income here is really just play money. I earn only about a quater of what I was at my peak back in Aus but life now is just sooo much better and I think I actually still manage to save more here than I did in Aus! Yep it is very cheap to live here...Best financial decision I ever made was moving to Japan!