Went up and saw Chad's today, they built it big. Should be entertaining to see some of the footage that comes from it. I just hope nobody gets hurt. Like I said....it's big probably at about 125 ft gap right now. We're planning on building pyramid by the end of this month early April so hopefully the snow situation cooperates with us.

Originally Posted By: ger
Gonna hit it, Mitch?

Probably not, I want to...really really bad. I just don't know if I want to die at 22.

It's really tempting and I have to see what the snow does I guess.
Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
>Perhaps Niseko has this more dialed than Hakuba.

If thats the case then it has to be the marketing machine up there bc when it comes to snow, hands down the snow up in Asahikawa blows Niseko/Rusutsu away razz stir

When you were there wink

But Asahikawa and Kamui can't offer what most recreational skiers want - a resort experience.
when it comes to snow, hands down the snow up in Asahikawa blows Niseko/Rusutsu away razz stir

Wow that is damning of everywhere else in Honshu hey.

Well Niigata can proudly boast wetter snow than Nagano or anywhere in Hokkaido. So there! grandpa

>

Originally Posted By: MikePow
>Perhaps Niseko has this more dialed than Hakuba.

If thats the case then it has to be the marketing machine up there bc when it comes to snow, hands down the snow up in Asahikawa blows Niseko/Rusutsu away razz stir

When you were there wink

But Asahikawa and Kamui can't offer what most recreational skiers want - a resort experience.

From my mates who live in Asahikawa they said that was crap snow compared to what it is typically like, so I can only imagine how much better it could be. 'Course the snow at Rusutsu and Niseko, among Teine etc is all good, just stir ing the pot.

Tohoku Sake is amazing stuff - all the lesser known Jizake's up there and not much chance to try em out even though they are just as good if not better than their well-known counterparts like Kubota and Koshinokanbai. But best bang for your buck is Kirei IMHO.

Back on topic, Niseko is flat and the runs are short biggrin

yes ... but people who live in a place can be it's harshest critics also..

It is only natural that a person who knows the hidden bits and pieces of their home area would be more passionate about it (negative and positive) than a casual visitor...

And the reality is that majority of people who are not happy living in an area, will move to somewhere they prefer - so the talk SHOULD always be more positive uptalk than negative gripes.

Nature of the beast wink

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
yes ... but people who live in a place can be it's harshest critics also..

It seems to go one way or the other:

People like muikabochi/Go Native who tell us all the warts and all whatever it is at the time.

People like, well, some other people, who only come every so often to talk a place up and/or post exaggerations. They usually have businesses there.

One or two people have had a go at me for mentioning rain and 'putting a downer' on the season by mentioning it and less than desirable conditions when they happen.

It seems I'm only supposed to report things when they are good and pretty.

I'm as excited as the next person when the conditions call for it. friend

I have little respect for those people.

Just ignore them.

Accusing you, of all people, of anything like that is simply ridiculous..... with all the amazing images you contribute to this site and share with the world.

thumbsup

As for those 'other' places in Hokkaido, would love to go and check them out.

doh Why "especially" if they are Aussies...

Tell them to get stuffed whatever the nationality!

honest open communication with no agenda is a very good thing - *I* thank you Muika. And your love for your area, and Japan in general is very clear in the beautiful photo's and lovely descriptions you often upload for the rest of us to enjoy.

Rain is rain.

It is either falling or it is not.... not like you are making it fall... lol

Because Aussies need to be told to get it. doh

Once said, it's easier.

Other nationalities, likes to be implied? Like "freedom of speech" "censorship"

we don't speak the same language anyways... until you find the phrase

I think ALL of Japan is worth a visit. Hakuba, Minakami and all of honshu have great resorts and some steep BC access. Hokkaido's (and yes this includes Niseko) selling point is that it has consistently good snow for typically 4-5 months of the year and Niseko is a "resort" and that's good for families. Consistently good snow is a definite selling feature when you spend a lot of bucks to get over with crew.

And I'm not sure who you were refering too BW, but if it's myself I only post when I have time, apologies. And I LOVE Hokkaido so why can't I talk it up? If you

I agree with MikePow, When media come to film they want something different, features that say "Japan" and not anywhere else. The media have pegged Japan as the deep "Pow" segment for the video and pillow lines, drops and natural booters are what they are looking for. A good part of the terrain they hit here is not in the actaul resort, there are simply too many people tracking up the mountain after a dump to set up a shot. They have to hike for the virgin snow and crazy features so it won't be the same stuff that the normal skier will ski.

That said, ALL the "pro" skiers and boarders I have been lucky enough to meet and show off the Niseko United resort to have had nothing but good things to say about the terrain. You get amazing runs for very little effort.

And yes the marketting team in Niseko IS on to it. They offer assistance to media types because they uderstand the value in it. Is that bad?

Totally agree CB that the terrain, runs and snow can be better up north but once these filmers knew the zones and the snow was as good as it was, it was hard to convince them otherwise. That and they usually film with a heli for the biglines so hiking two hours with a 60 pound backpack full of film gear didn't sequite fly with them. Maybe next year.

black%20diamond_22.jpg