• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

KevKastle,

Good questions...but you can always qualify your answer with a follow post with comments.

My thinking is that it costs money (lift ticket, train fare, gasoline, tolls, etc.) but it is on a weekend. How far you need to travel depends on where you live.

For example, Muikabochi, who lives in the heart of Snow Country, can be selective about when he goes, but Mamabear, visiting from Australia, might be more inclined to go, seeing as how she has a limited holiday here.

Up to your interpretation!

i wouldn't ski in the rain or on snot if it was free. it's just no fun for me.

i live in oz, and have traveled to nagano in the past and have not gone out on the hill for a few days due to rain or ice. just cos i'm there does mean i want to do it conditions are bad

Depends entirely on the day, where I am, how many days I have left on my trip and how I feel... maybe more!

I have gone out to ride on a blue bird morn and then got caught in belting rain on the lifts.

I have gone out when it was snowing only to have it turn to rain before I got to the bottom.

And I have headed out the door when it has been raining and by the time I was up the top had beautiful clear conditions with some light fresh stuff that was rain at village level, but flakes on the hill.

One of the most fun times I had was with a girlfriend who I just shunted out the door and onto a plane (I am looking after her kids and dogs for 3 days) - we went out when it was windy and a little bit snowy, the first time up Kosi (Thredbo) we found it a little too scary as the visibility for the first 200m or so was NADA - not even an arm length in front of you - and the trail was pretty chopped up and icy. But below that was glorious - so we took the old rattler of a lift beside it that stops a little shorter. It takes an age to get up there though...

And then the heavens opened.

Thunder Lightening HEAVY HEAVY rain, which switched to ice bullets, and then to flakes and then back to ice bullets and back to rain...etc

By the time we got to the top we went straight into the cafe for a hot chocolate to warm up. But we have never laughed so hard in our lives. Partly from fear of being electrocuted, partly due to the stupidity of us chasing a fast and furious run or two while our beginner friends stayed in the bar (in those conditions).

But the run home from that cafe was awesome. It was not knee deep, not even board deep (until we sank in the elephant snot at the very bottom) ... it certainly wasn't a day for beginners or low intermediates - the runs were treacherous. But we still talk about that day now ...9 months later.

Would I go out in the rain .... under the right circumstances - HELL YEAH!

I've been skiing for over 25 years and have skied in every weather condition known to man during that time. I've also during that time literally spent many months backcountry sleeping in tents or snow caves where it's a little harder to escape the elements compared to heading back to a nice apartment or lodge. Now that I live with one of the world's great powder destinations on my doorstep and get a season pass as part of my salary package I honestly don't feel any compulsion to ski when conditions are shite.

the beauty of a season pass is that once you've paid for it, it doesn't cost you anything to ride

i had one this year, and there were a couple of crappy days with rain and/or bulletproof. but i could still go up, do 3 or 4 runs, get some fresh air and then head back to the lodge

if i was buying day passes there's no way i would have gone up the hill

hmmm...

well, I had one day to visit Singapore Zoo with our kids so we went there in the middle of a 36C thunderstorm. We were drenched and hot, and ducked into cafes and air con shelters while the lightening was really cracking - but we made the best of it. Was a good day - but not perfect conditions.

A beach holiday ... probably not go swimming in it - no. Because a beach holiday is about much much more than the actual swimming (and because I can swim any day at home). However I can't board at home, I can't even drive an hour to an indoor facility. So I MAY go out in rain.

It would really depend on how many days I had.

If I am there for a week and one day is raining - then probably some sightseeing or a lazy lunch in a bar would be the order of the day.

But seeing as Papa and I are coming all the way from Perth to Hakuba in a couple of weeks for just a few days - if it rains I will probably go out for at least one or two runs... Especially if it is raining for the whole time.

Originally Posted By: thursday
I won't sunbathe in a thunderstorm.

I don't sunbathe at all. It's a white thing.

not so Thursday....plenty non-whites of the asian persuasion bake themselves on the beaches at Kugenuma/Enoshima every summer!!

On my days off, I basically choose when to do what early in the month. If it ends up being rainy on my day I choose to ski, I still go... if it ends up being a perfect day when I decide to do something else, I still go ahead with that plan. The main reason why is that, every time I decide to ski, it ends up being a blizzard/white-out/rainy day anyway. My days off are posted on the bulletin board and headlined as "Weather Forecast". Yeah... it's *that* bad. Back at the start of this season, we had basically no snow at Noz. I had a day off on the 18th, and the ski fields became skiable over night. Two weeks ago, I had my day off changed from a Sunday to the Monday. That Sunday ended up being absolutely beautiful day... Monday visiblity was down to 5m. Tuesday was, again, perfect day. I then had the Weds off as well... and it was, like, freezing, high winds. It rained this weekend... on my day off. -_-.

So... after multiple years, I have just given up caring about the weather. If I end up being picky, I'll be here, every season, without actually accumulating any mileage. I also figure that it's ultimately a good chance to get experience for all conditions.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Originally Posted By: thursday
I won't sunbathe in a thunderstorm.

I don't sunbathe at all. It's a white thing.

not so Thursday....plenty non-whites of the asian persuasion bake themselves on the beaches at Kugenuma/Enoshima every summer!!

That's just it. The white people go pink. The yellow people go orange.