I disagree with that oft heard cliche.

I would prefer to be in the office today and take a day off when conditions are good rather than waste a lot of cash going out and being disappointed.

(PS Can you make good snow conditions quattro?)

It is very easy to turn into a snow snob when you have access to great ski area's on your doorstep - for the rest of us though - we are just happy to have something to slide on. The fluffier the better - but we will take what we can get.

4+ hours and able to be decided depending on conditions is most definitely on your doorstep (compared to Perth!)

Don't get me wrong I like pristine powder days as much as the next guy - but I am also going to make the best of Elephant Snot or icy slopes - after all as an instructor told me once on hard packed icy Thredbo baby slopes "If ya can ride this, ya can ride anything!".

For me, poor conditions are like riding switch. I don't particularly love it, but I give it a good shot because I know I will improve my riding by doing it. And I often surprise myself and have the most laughs on the cr@ppy days.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
4+ hours and able to be decided depending on conditions is most definitely on your doorstep (compared to Perth!)

Don't get me wrong I like pristine powder days as much as the next guy - but I am also going to make the best of Elephant Snot or icy slopes - after all as an instructor told me once on hard packed icy Thredbo baby slopes "If ya can ride this, ya can ride anything!".

For me, poor conditions are like riding switch. I don't particularly love it, but I give it a good shot because I know I will improve my riding by doing it. And I often surprise myself and have the most laughs on the cr@ppy days.

Good MB. smile You have it pegged right.

I tried skiing yesterday at Kiroro and it was incredibly bad. The snow was so sticky that on any flat section more than 20m long you'd come to a standstill as there was no way you could get up enough speed to get through it. It really just wasn't any fun especially as most of the good terrain was closed because of higher lifts on wind hold. It would have been nice to just sit out in the sun and enjoy a few beers but of course because it's a Japanese resort they had no al fresco options available...

Seiously I find it had to believe that anyone - other than a person who wants to 'sell' a place - can be positive about skiing getting soaked in heavy rain on shite snow. I'd rather be in a meeting at work. And that is saying something.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
4+ hours and able to be decided depending on conditions is most definitely on your doorstep

Well we obviously have a different feeling for the meaning of "on your doorstep"! A 4+ hour trip each way plus needing accommodation sure ain't on my doorstep!