stems comments about his wife liking shopping made me wonder.

My g/f is perhaps rare in that she isn't mad into shopping at all. Not into designer goods or anything like that.

I suppose I should feel lucky.

Not as rare as you might think.

Papa congratulates me when I go and spend a decent amount on clothing etc ... he recognizes how much of an achievement it was to do so! I hate shopping.

But I have been shopping with friends who put half the ticket price on their card and half in cash trying to reduce the paper trail on what they have bought... I could NEVER do that. If I am embarrassed to tell my partner how much I have spent then I should not be spending that much!!

But you can be too much the other way as well.

A Bargain is not always a bargain... I would rather buy one $50 nice tee shirt, than buy 10 really crappy $5 tee shirts. However I really draw the line at buying 10 x $100 tee shirts with someone famous' name on them.

I love going to a shop and bringing out a box with my latest gadget.

But, that is getting rarer. Prices online are at times so different it just does not make sense to buy in a shop.

Unless you are my friend who feels he should support shops and buy there even if the price is 40% more than what he can buy online.

People are confusing "shopping" with "buying".

Shopping involves hours after hour of looking around inside shops for stuff you don't want, that you can't afford, and that you end up noy purchasing.

Buying involves going to A shop, for A particular item and purchasing same.

World of difference!

I do not shop, I buy! Most female humans (except for Mamabear, obviously) shop prodigiously.

Originally Posted By: thursday
shoes, handbags, clothes, baby clothes, toys. New items almost on a daily basis. Women are so into shopping.

This view of how women are is contrary to a lot of my own experience of women in my life but of course I do see it around me all the time. Most of the women I have been friends with over the years and that includes my wife came out of my involvement in the mountaineering club at university. Few of these women were/are materialistic except maybe in outdoor gear terms. Like what new skis, climbing rope or backpack they'd purchased. Personally I could never be with a woman who is materialistic and certainly my wife is not. She doesn't even ever wear any makeup which I also love. Not all women are into shopping I can assure you! Thank god as if they were I'm sure I'd still be single.

hehe, reminds me of a joke:

A woman was in town on a shopping trip. She began her day finding the most perfect shoes in the first shop and a beautiful dress on sale in the second.

In the third, everything had just been reduced by 50 percent when her mobile phone rang. It was a female doctor notifying her that her husband had just been in a terrible car accident and was in critical condition and in the ICU.

The woman told the doctor to inform her husband where she was and that she'd be there as soon as possible. As she hung up she realised she was leaving what was shaping up to be her best day ever in the boutiques. She decided to get in a couple of more shops before heading to the hospital.

She ended up shopping the rest of the morning, finishing her trip with a cup of coffee and a beautiful chocolate cake slice, compliments of the last shop. She was jubilant.

Then she remembered her husband. Feeling guilty, she dashed to the hospital.

She saw the doctor in the corridor and asked about her husbands condition.

The lady doctor glared at her and shouted, 'You went ahead and finished your shopping trip didnt you! I hope youre proud of yourself! While you were out for the past four hours enjoying yourself in town, your husband has been languishing in the Intensive Care Unit! It's just as well you went ahead and finished, because it will more than likely be the last shopping trip you ever take! For the rest of his life he will require round-the-clock care. And he will now be your career!'

The woman broke down and sobbed.

The lady doctor then chuckled and said, 'Im just pulling your leg. Hes dead. Show me what you bought.'

Just depends what I'm "shopping for". If I'm in Ochanomizu Tokyo (guitar center of the universe) I can spend the entire day getting touchy/feely without purchasing anything. Same goes for a few wood specialty shops in Shin Kiba. So....just depends.

Originally Posted By: gareth_oau

A woman was in town on a shopping trip. She began her day finding the most perfect shoes in the first shop and a beautiful dress on sale in the second.

In the third, everything had just been reduced by 50 percent when her mobile phone rang. It was a female doctor notifying her that her husband had just been in a terrible car accident and was in critical condition and in the ICU.

The woman told the doctor to inform her husband where she was and that she'd be there as soon as possible. As she hung up she realised she was leaving what was shaping up to be her best day ever in the boutiques. She decided to get in a couple of more shops before heading to the hospital.

She ended up shopping the rest of the morning, finishing her trip with a cup of coffee and a beautiful chocolate cake slice, compliments of the last shop. She was jubilant.

The lady doctor glared at her and shouted, 'You went ahead and finished your shopping trip didnt you! I hope youre proud of yourself! While you were out for the past four hours enjoying yourself in town, your husband has been languishing in the Intensive Care Unit! It's just as well you went ahead and finished, because it will more than likely be the last shopping trip you ever take! For the rest of his life he will require round-the-clock care. And he will now be your career!'

The lady doctor then chuckled and said, 'Im just pulling your leg. Hes dead. Show me what you bought.'

Thought jokes were meant to be funny?

Am with klingon here. sites such as rakuten and kakaku means the price difference can be thousands, or even tens of thousands difference on gadgets.

Case in point, we bought a washing machine last year online via a kakaku shop - 130000yen. The same model in Yodobashi was 210000 with 20%points.

Easy maths there.

There's a Sony showroom atop the Sogo building in HK. It's got all the stuff there for you to play with; cameras, PS3, PSPs, 5.1 home theatres, huge TVs to watch movies, sound room, computers, etc, etc.. Oh man, I can spend hours in there.

I enjoy browsing. sometimes I can browse for as much as 40 seconds before I get bored and want to slash my wrists.

I dont mind shopping, as long as I know what I want beforehand, and can be in and out of the store within 5 minutes with goods in hand.

If I go with my +1, then the shop MUST have a husband chair

If I go with my +1, then the shop MUST have a husband chair

lol
Reminds me of going to Harrods with another couple when we were doing a Ireland/UK trip (Greyhound Industry) - we were not taking awfully long, but were buying gifts to take home to family and Harrods Christmas tree decorations. So the hubby of the other couple sat in a chair and fell alseep.

Harrods security woke him up and asked him to 'move along' ... rollabout

We still tease him about that!
Originally Posted By: RobBright

Thought jokes were meant to be funny?

it was! well done Gareth!! lol

My GF is not materialistic and thankfully is not crazy mad about shopping. If she is in the shopping mood, she knows not to ask me to go wth her

when I get into a kitchen accessories section of a deparment store, I go a bit slow. I love looking at all the gadgets that help make the joy of cooking so much more enjoyable.

And all those stainless steel pots and pans. There are just sooooooo many to look at and touch up. Never, NEVER use thos non-stick things. That paint will end up in your stomach.

I went searching for an electric cheese grater the other day. It was tucked away on the bottom shelf of the fondue section doh