Hakuba - world famous, ski-jo, needs no introduction, and no real report is needed, but safe to say, it's worth taking the time and money to get there.

It's a strange place as it has always been busy everytime I have been there, yet strangely it isn't the most accessible of places I find.

Anyway, we arrived on Saturday 20th at around 3pm and swiftly made our way to the hotel - found on snowjapan.com - called mont blanc hakuba - fairly cheap and reasonable, came with breakfast and dinner. Friendly owner and staff there too, who went out of their way to speak English, even though I spoke Japanese to them and they understood.

Ski conditions were good, Sat, there was a light to medium flurry of snow from evening onwards and woke up Sunday for first tracks at the top. For the rest of the stay was bluebird days, so I decided to stay at the top as the lower slopes got very slushy and quickly chopped up.

Monday, another bluebird day, and pretty much all the powder had disappeared or had been tracked and down, so was a day of practising riding switch and taking photos at the ski park on the Hakuba 47 side.

Came down for the afternoon to give my mate some more advice about snowboarding, he's a n00b, and managed to get a video of him putting a run together fall-free. Was very proud of him, as he had struggle, but he finally understood what I was talking about and had the BIGGEST smile on his face. It may have been on the baby runs, but for me, was the highlight of the weekend.

brightrob_106.JPG

brightrob_107.JPG

brightrob_108.JPG

brightrob_111.JPG

brightrob_113.JPG

brightrob_114.JPG

brightrob_110.JPG

brightrob_123.JPG

Nice pics Rob

Quote:
It's a strange place as it has always been busy everytime I have been there, yet strangely it isn't the most accessible of places I find.

What do you mean there Rob? Hakuba isn't as easy to get to compared to places like Yuzawa etc? I suppose the fact that people go means it's just really ace.

Originally Posted By: pie-eater

What do you mean there Rob? Hakuba isn't as easy to get to compared to places like Yuzawa etc? I suppose the fact that people go means it's just really ace.

Exactly like that - looked at a map of the area, and it's between Nagano and Matsumoto, neither which are close.

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Nice Rob. Where abouts (which resort?) can I find the stone dude and that other stone structure thing?

the stone dude was at the top of Zizou Peak I think along with the stone structure.

yea i loved hakuba, went to happo 6 days straight and did a night ski at 47, it was amazing, im planning a 1 month trip there with a mate, should be good biggrin

too bad its warming up now :( thought the season would last alot longer but the warm temp isnt very pleasant.

hakuba is amazing, the small town and the friendliest people i've ever met, i fell in love with the people, so welcoming and always helping others out. I wish aussies would learn off them >.<

when I went to the park they had speed restrictions in place o.O they wouldnt let you pick up enough speed to get air or you had your pass removed :(

Originally Posted By: Korbzy
yea i loved hakuba, went to happo 6 days straight and did a night ski at 47, it was amazing, im planning a 1 month trip there with a mate, should be good biggrin

too bad its warming up now :( thought the season would last alot longer but the warm temp isnt very pleasant.

hakuba is amazing, the small town and the friendliest people i've ever met, i fell in love with the people, so welcoming and always helping others out. I wish aussies would learn off them >.<

when I went to the park they had speed restrictions in place o.O they wouldnt let you pick up enough speed to get air or you had your pass removed :(

Yes Hakuba is an amazing place and the people are very friendly.But for how long.There are slobs throwing fag ends every were in the streets under lifts also cans and bottles by the road side. That never used to be. If anyone sees someone doing this tell then to pick it up. Because we will all be tarred with the same brush.It is unfare that a small minority should spoil it for the rest of us. veryangry

I noticed the same thing at the bus stops at Shiga kogen and it was not the overseas snow lovers littering. Sad to see. Ive always see japan as the cleanest country I have visited.Found NZ pretty good to seem to have good pride in their country. grandpa