Timing was always going to be important for me going to Zao - and we got it right! Monday morning was brilliantly sunny and we were treated to a very fine day. I have since heard that it was perhaps one of the finest of the season so far. Lucky us! So I was taking billions of photos and a bit of video. We were there for a few days and the weather stayed pretty good for the whole time, but I was mostly taking on Monday.

Zao is a great skijo. It's big, there are lots of runs to choose from - many of them long and wide - and lots of powder accessible just off the courses. The snow was good too.

And of course the unique and superb scenery on offer. Most of the scenery is up on the top of the mountain. The top gondola takes people up there and it is a major tourist attraction - a fair % of the people going up there were tourists without skis or snowboards. There's only one faily narrow course back down so in a way it is like a bonus/add-on to the main ski resort. But a brilliant one!

Very highly recommended. It's a must go/see if you ask me and officially my favourite skijo.

friend

Video - daytime footage:

Video - Nighttime "lightup":

Photos to follow....

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GREAT PICS MUIKABOCHI.Thinking about next year allready.how big is the area how many days would you recommend to stay there.I have two teenagers to keep happy.

Personally I would like to go there for about 4 days.

I must have spent a few hours at and around that top area taking photos, looking, walking up to the top to get a view over the other side and just generally enjoying being there.

Even with the 2 days or so skiing, we really didn't spend a huge amount of time in any one area and I could quite easily spend more time there as I still felt like I wanted more.

I would say it is a fair bit bigger, and for me better, than Nozawa.

The only thing I feel Zao lacks really is anything to do in the evenings apart from go up the mountain ( I wrote about that here )