Ok there appears to have been some confusion over the use of the term 'bottomless' when referring to skiing/boarding. I think it would be good if we all got on the same page in it's usage.

First off bottomless does not refer to snow depth. It's an adjective to describe turns in unconsolidated powder snow where you can't feel the consolidated base at the bottom. If your edges are biting into the base on a turn then it is not bottomless.

For me true bottomless turns are about the best feeling you can have skiing. The turns seem effortless as you just float down through the powder.

bot·tom·less

   /ˈbɒtəmlɪs/ Show Spelled[bot-uhm-lis] Show IPA

–adjective

lacking a bottom.

immeasurably deep.

unfathomable; mysterious: a bottomless problem.

without bounds; unlimited: He seems to have a bottomless supply of money.

without basis, cause, or reason: a bottomless accusation.

nude or nearly nude below as well as above the waist: bottomless dancers.

featuring bottomless entertainers: a bottomless club.

How to use on the Snowjapan.com forum

Fresh tracks and bottomless pow today.

Standard reply

No you didn't

Retort

Sorry I thought I did but I must be mistaken. I will refer to this thread in the future to ensure my bottomless is in fact bottomless.

Yeah You better.

• SnowJapan Admin

Here's the deal.

If we get one more post baiting this subject once more - and you know exactly what I mean - we will ban the member who posts it.

Sarcastic comments and comebacks included.

Forever. No questions asked. I do not care who it is.

Absolutely fed up with it. Grow up please.

Thank you.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Ok there appears to have been some confusion over the use of the term 'bottomless' when referring to skiing/boarding. I think it would be good if we all got on the same page in it's usage.

First off bottomless does not refer to snow depth. It's an adjective to describe turns in unconsolidated powder snow where you can't feel the consolidated base at the bottom. If your edges are biting into the base on a turn then it is not bottomless.
For me true bottomless turns are about the best feeling you can have skiing. The turns seem effortless as you just float down through the powder.

yup, it definitely varies between boarders/skiers too. This weekend wasnt bottomless, but it was FKNA good!! party

Bottomless is bottomless and that is why I live here and what I live for as do many on this forum. Good times for all. I am blessed to live in this environment. Sorry to all those living in the grind. sj

You choose your life.

The point of me posting this definition was certainly not stimulate further debate but to quell it. Dictionary definitions of bottomless do not refer to it's use as an adjective for powder snow so are useless. I posted this so those who are unfamiliar with the term can understand it and so we stop the endless 'well what it means to me is...' confusion out there. In the world of winter sports this is the universally accepted definition of bottomless powder.

Of course I understand that for those who haven't been to Hokkaido it is unlikely you've truly ever experienced bottomless powder and have twisted the definition to suit the lesser conditions you're used to razz slap

My 2 yen

If you're not at least nip deep for at least 3 consecutive turns, with the snow billowing over your head forcing you to hold your breath, then as far as I'm concerned you haven't come close to bottomless.

I agree, but this definition would also be a function of speed and radius of turn as it relates to a snowboarding. An addendum: if you can't get up when you fall over, it is probably bottomless smile

Just means not hitting crust or ice layer I reckon- that could be bollocks deep, knee deep or less. If your starting point is in the high alpine then chest deep is likely to be a bit much and knee deep or less will do just fine.

Thanks for clearing that up GN. Thats exactly the meaning of the word that I was using last week and some people may have misinterpreted me.

You can have knee or shin deep bottomless and conversely have waist deep blower that isn't bottomless.

Anyway glad we're all cleared up on that one