This actually happened awhile ago back in January, but the worst thing possible (as far as laughable accidents go) that could happen, happened... I got a bit too ballsy and shattered my right collar bone.

Short story is, I was running the park at Kawaba, even though it was incredibly icy, and jumping onto the backside of an up & down box from a kicker and on my 3rd or so attempt (mind you I made it a couple times without problem) I ended up taking a different angle of attack on the kicker and instead of popping up off the jump my board got caught up by an iced over hole in the jump and I was flipped upside down and dropped about a meter and a half straight down on my head and shoulder. I heard 3 or 4 distinct pops so I knew something was broken. I got up and slid down as close to the bottom as I could, telling my buddies as I passed that I had broken something and found a soft-ish place to sit. After getting carted down then xrayed at the local hospital, I came back to Saitama and checked into my local hospital. 2 weeks in the hospital, 2 hours of surgery, countless xrays, truck loads of worthless perscription drugs and nearly a month later my bone is just as broken as the moment I fell and I'm left with a giant (though fairly bad ass) scar.

Didn't realize how much snowboarding meant to me until this... really gotta play it a bit safer from here on out, but I'll never quit.

So anyone have any similar experiences they'd like to share? Also, any insight anyone may have on what to expect with this injury would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Here are the links to pics of my xrays and post-op. Not too gory or anything but still thought I'd just link them instead of posting them straight up!

pre-op xray

BREAK1.jpg

post-op bionic man xray

break2.jpg

post-op incision pic (complete with staples!)

break3.jpg

That sucks. Get better soon. I for one would like to see your x-rays.

I am a total wuss, and I really only like riding natural terrain. I look at dudes in the park and wish I could do it, but I don't want to get hurt and miss out on the powder days.

About a month before our trip to Japan, my wife broke her toe running on the beach. That was a stress not knowing if she would be ok for the trip, but luckily it was fine and didn't give her any serious problems.

Let's recovering!

Not really that bad, but 2 years ago my daughter lost her memory on the first day in Hakuba. We didn't see it, so no idea what really happened. All short term memory of the last few days was erased.

Shintani Clinic did a cat-scan and nothing was broken. Memory came then back a few hours later. There was no more 'helmet' discussion after that accident.

Interestingly the Shintani Clinic was full with skier and boarders, about 15 people were in the waiting room while I was there. Seems they do very well during ski season.

To make your suffering a bit lighter, seems it's getting warmer next week and Hakuba will be in the plus all week with a peak of 8ºC.

About 4 years ago I ended my season with an injury as well. The only lucky thing about it was that it happened at the end of March so the season was pretty much done anyway.

I hit a 10m jump in the park but launched myself past the landing (I was breaking in a new board). I landed on my tailbone and the result was: cracked sternum, three broken ribs and three dislocated ribs in my back. Until I got to the hosiptal I thought I had actually broken my back. I've never been in so much pain and had a really hard time breathing until I got some muscle relaxants that stopped my chest from caving in. Luckily no surgery... I couldn't train for about 4 months and was about 6 months until I started feeling comfortable with exercising. Somehow though I managed to be surfing again within a few months (mostly longboard small wave stuff mind you)...

Since then I've only been back in the park a handful of times and have approached it really cautiously...

Hope you recover soon! One thing I realized is that I didn't bounce back from injury like I used to be able to when I was a teenager...

I'd been interested in seeing the xrays as well!

Links to the pics are now in the main post, check them out!

And Kraut in Hong Kong, how'd your daughter lose her memory exactly? Did she fall? I agree, though, accidents like that put everything in perspective... helmet and full pads from now on! haha

Does rugby count?

If so, had a grade 5 break of left collar bone, dislocation of shoulder, and ripped tendons galore to follow up with.

Kept me out for a season and a half of skiing and even now, still weary of it but will never stop snowboarding because of it.

Will post a scar, 10yrs on this year.Wow.

Damn, you destroyed your collarbone. How come the scars - did they cut you open to put plates and screws in?

And BM, sounds like a heavy stack.

I've been really lucky. Had a few big crashes and knocked my head around hard, but nothing too bad. One in Niseko in April a few years ago, I lost all my short term memory too. Didn't really know who I was for a while. The weird thing was I was apparently talking all this crazy nonsense. All I could rememember was that all these subconsious sort of dream thoughts were coming to me in my waking life. Weird. Maybe it was a mild concussion or something.

A helmet is on the list for next season.

gjd, I have really no idea, and she of course can't remember. There wasn't anything visible. No blood, nothing, perfectly normal. I just noticed coz she looked lost and was just standing on the Nakiyama slope.

When I talked to her she asked me every 30 Seconds or so for the time. We then went to the food place at the bottom and got her a chocolate drink. I thought the sugar shock may help a little. While talking she started to realize that something was wrong and got panicky. The the Austrian guy from the restaurant got us a taxi and I drove with her to the clinic.

The clinic seems well equipped. They don't talk much English though. They just suggested rest. So we went back to the hotel. She went to bed, I had dinner and went to the White Horse Bar (I am very considered and don't wanted to disturb her sleep). When I came back she woke up and I asked her what she had for lunch - and she said "sausage and fries" - so I knew memory was coming back slowly. Next day I suggested a rest, but she wanted to ski again. So we all did. This time with helmet.

BTW, Sunday night I passed the White Horse again but didn't go in. While I just walked by a girl slid on the stairs and had a bad crash. Looked really bad. She was with some foreign dudes which appeared sober and they don't wanted any help. Life can be short. Good to enjoy it while we can.

That sounds like a concussion Kraut.

When I was young a mate of mines was over at my house and we were playing pool in my room. My room was in the attic and was accessed by a pull down ladder, which obviously left a dirty big hole in the floor. So he's lining up his shot, its down next to the hole, and I bend down to tie my laces. Still talking away to him, when I look up he is nowhere to be seen!! I was dumbfounded, I heard nothing and if he had used the ladder I would have heard it as it was very creaky metal.....i thought surely he hasn't fallen down the hole.....yes he did!! He was lying on the floor at the foot of the ladder with the pool cue across him and his specs all twisted!! Luckily nothing broken but he did have a concussion......asked what happened every 5 mins, where he was, what day it was, what the time was. Needless to say he was never allowed back to my house!! smile

Wow! You really did that collar bone well!

Wishing you a rapid recovery.

I am feeling a tad guilty now - I have not seen a collar bone break in xray before...and my boy had a tackle/collision at rugby two seasons ago in Under 11's that resulted in the opponent with a broken collar bone. (kid landed badly) I am retrospectively feeling sorry for the poor kid!!

Missing a season sucks.

Luckily we have never had a season ending injury on the slopes (touch wood/so far) ... but Papa snapped his ACL playing Rugby and 2.5 yrs ago, had a reconstruction and spent 3 weeks in Niseko unable to play - that royally sucked!

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain

I landed on my tailbone and the result was: cracked sternum, three broken ribs and three dislocated ribs in my back.

Your sternum is a long way from your arse mate. How does that work?

Did the force go up through your spine and do all that damage or was it caused by the bit after you landed on your tail bone?

gaijindrifter- chicks dig scars

Mantas,

I'm not entirely sure what happened but I think the cracked sternum was from the impact of my chin hitting my chest. It was one of the most sickening sounds I've ever heard. The ribs were all from the angle I was falling... basically I landed on my ass so hard while traveling forward that I was crushed into a ball. The really crazy part was that the dislocated ribs weren't diagnosed for an entire month after the accident when I went to the doctor complaining that I was still having terrible back pain. Whoops! doh

Cheers to a full recovery. Here's my story.

Broke my collar bone twice in the same place. It put an end to my hockey "career". We were playing in a provincial final and the stands were full of Junior scouts (the first selection process to pro hockey). I went in the corner and got hammered and a pop ...you just know.

As they were getting me ready for the trip to the hospital a scout came in and was all concerned as he had me on his list of players to talk to.

Two months later, went out to that teams training camp....a light tap with another player and pop..re-broke it.

Prepare yourself for the aches when you hit your 40's.