Koushinryou (renewing rental contract?)

On NHK news now. About people renting their living places and suddenly being hit with....

æ›´æ–°æ–™

I suppose it means a renewal of the house/apartment rental contract.

This woman was hit with a bill for 140,000 yen that she totally didn't expect.

Seems only some places ask for it.

Bloody glad my place doesn't.... anyone here experience?

Sounds as much a rip off as the "key money" and "thank you money" etc.

It is essentially the renewal of the key money. My old house tried to do it to me, but I said I was moving out. They very quickly changed their mind and said I didn't need to pay it.

still moved out though.

I had to pay 2man for a renewal (contract/paperwork) but I assume that it was normal. On top of it renewal of my renters insurance about 2man.

Havent heard anything of the sort of what was on NHK.

I do have an annoying company that calls me every once and awhile telling me I need to pay another 2man for some form of renters insurance. Basically if I fail to pay for my rent, the company covers the landlord. Sorry, I have paid 3months in advance of money I will never see again, as we all know. If that is not enough insurance, tough luck.

I actually know my landlord, whom is a nice old man that does his gardening across from my apt everyday. Not once has he complained about my living here. So, buisness Japan can bugger off.

But yeah, people try and extort any amount of cash they can from you if they are given the chance.

Essentially yes they try to screw you over as they want more money, but then if you decided to leave, they renege on the money as they realise that they would gain more over the year.

the problem is that people are prepared to pay it, which means they will carry on doing this. the "good" thing is that it tends to be in the kanto area more than anywhere else.

Luckily my landlord is an old student and I didn't need to pay any deposit or key money or advance rent, just pay the rent every month.

My mates girlfriend's dad lives in Gifu and just moved to another apartment. They wanted him to pay 4 man "cleaning fee" and he refused saying that he paid that cleaning fee when he moved in, and the company will charge the next renter the same so basically the company were just extoring another 4 man from him. They said he had to so now he got a lawyer and is fighting it. He is going to spend more on legal fees but he said he doesn't care, he wants to make a stand against this shit.....good luck to him! thumbsup