• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah $1m is not much for the average HK investor, which is why I think they are pricing it there. I guess it's an alternative for those who 'missed' out on the Whistler investment. does anybody know the status of Richard Li's purchase of the forest near Hanazono? I am skeptical personally but think it's generally a good thing if these things work and are a success...

So how much does the owner get...bugger all after all expenses...

Yeah before you could get 4% or over return but nowdays you would be lucky to make 2-3% off your investment.

As for Sapporo people propping the market your absoulutely dreaming !! Why on earth would they go to Niseko when theres closer ski areas nearby e.g Kokusai, Kiroro, Teine etc and so much more that are so easily accessed by public transport.

Fact is most Sapporeans have been there done that and why ride with the crowds when you can go elsewhere,uncrowded, cheaper and better value for money.

Having lived in Niseko before and after the boom your dreaming if you think the Japanese will fill the summer market.

If so why arent there a bucket load of rafting companies ??

Fact is most of their income are from school groups and they stay mostly at the Japanese hotels and sure as hell dont spend much money in the town. To most Japanese theres so many more places to go in Japan than Niseko.

Seriously you guys are living in a gold fish bowl. If you seriously think your going to get the summer SE Asian market explain to me how !

They have been coming to Hokkaido for years, even Niseko to play golf for the weekend , a dirty night in Sapporo then back home. This has been happening for along time.

For the Asian market Niseko has nothing that they want. They come to Hokkaido for one thing and thats to eat Hokkaido seafood and shopping.Shit spend a bit of time at the airport and watch them go home with bags and boxes of stuff.

You guys are so off the pace when it comes to marketing to that market.

Open a big Outlet shopping centre in Niseko in summer and you'll clean up, thats the only way you'll get them up there.

Honestly you need to get into the Asian shoppers mindset then you might have half an idea.They come to Japan for one thing and thats to shop !

The amount of dribble that gets posted on here regarding how great Niseko is is bewildering.

As far as riding goes its a bloody hill at best. Why do you think its such a great place for families to come.

Before I get attacked here, I was living and riding in Niseko before most of the so called locals on this site!

Originally Posted By: Mongoose

As for Sapporo people propping the market your absoulutely dreaming !! Why on earth would they go to Niseko when theres closer ski areas nearby e.g Kokusai, Kiroro, Teine etc and so much more that are so easily accessed by public transport.
Fact is most Sapporeans have been there done that and why ride with the crowds when you can go elsewhere,uncrowded, cheaper and better value for money.

One word for you, EVENTS.

If the mountains could pull their thumbs out of their arses and organise top quality sporting and cultural events then the Sapporo people and beyond would visit.

Quote:
Seriously you guys are living in a gold fish bowl. If you seriously think your going to get the summer SE Asian market explain to me how !
They have been coming to Hokkaido for years, even Niseko to play golf for the weekend , a dirty night in Sapporo then back home. This has been happening for along time.

For the Asian market Niseko has nothing that they want. They come to Hokkaido for one thing and thats to eat Hokkaido seafood and shopping.Shit spend a bit of time at the airport and watch them go home with bags and boxes of stuff.
You guys are so off the pace when it comes to marketing to that market.
Open a big Outlet shopping centre in Niseko in summer and you'll clean up, thats the only way you'll get them up there.
Honestly you need to get into the Asian shoppers mindset then you might have half an idea. They come to Japan for one thing and thats to shop !

The SE Asian market that comes to Niseko in winter is a far more sophisticated market than the one you described. Plus since you've left the gold fish bowl, the SE Asian market does not exclusively equal people of SE origin. As an example, the HK market is HK Chinese, ex-pat and mixed.

Quote:
The amount of dribble that gets posted on here regarding how great Niseko is is bewildering.
As far as riding goes its a bloody hill at best. Why do you think its such a great place for families to come.

Before I get attacked here, I was living and riding in Niseko before most of the so called locals on this site!

And that is why it is successful. It ticks most of the boxes, for most of the people, most of the time. It's not rocket science.

And what many locals and ex-locals seem to forget is that one season spent at a resort equals or exceeds the total lifetime ski/snowboard experience of the majority of the recreational visitors.

What is a hill to you is the North Face of the Eiger to most.

If people from Sapporo don't like coming here, why is it a Japanese punter frenzy here at the weekends? I'd be fine if they all went to Teine, or Kiroro or wherever, it's too busy here already. I'd love it if there was a few less Aussies too, but I just can't see it happening, people keep on coming here and keep on loving it, so it's only going to grow.

If you don't like it, that's cool, go ride your 'real' Japanese resorts where you can't get cash out, go in the trees/bc, or go out at night!

Originally Posted By: Mongoose

Do you include your own? wink

It's just really popular.
Some people don't seem to like that.