• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jynxx is implying that few Japanese people would actually choose to live in Hokkaido, that coming here is basically a last resort when you've exhausted all other options. This may well be a perception by some Japanese people? I don't know.

Personally I've met a lot of Japanese people who have moved up here from down south and they didn't appear to have done so out of desperation. They, like many of us here, appreciate the open spaces, clean environment, mild summers and snowy winters.

Still the winters are long and harsh so I can see why a lot of people wouldn't want to live here.

Same here - the Japanese friends that I have who like snowboarding/skiing, think it's the dogs bollocks and itching to move up there.

If that's being banished then I want to be there too. wink

My impression of the snow is A+. I also have a very positive impression of the permanent foreign residents whom I've met living there. The transient workers... well C- and the main reason is that I've met more people who are obviously disrespectful to there living environment and are there to exploit it.

I've been going to Niseko every year for quite a while now and this was the first time that I decided it's no longer worth staying in Hirafu village. The main reason is that I don't like the direction it's going in... It's not chill enough for me and I'm not really into the get-drunk-off-your-ass apres ski. There are definitely some great places to eat though!

Like anywhere it's a bit of a mixed bag. For someone like myself who has lived in Japan for quite a while the attraction is that I feel like I can take a vacation from Japan without actually leaving the country. For those who only come to ski then they are in for a treat. For those who want a taste of Japanese style, culture, sensibility or whatever it's a terrible place. I don't really know how to describe it but I think it should be more Japanese... I mean, I know the goal is to make it an 'international' ski destination but why not focus more on the roots of the place instead of making it like Disneyland?

What are the roots of the place though? How many Japanese ski resorts more resemble Disneyland than does Niseko? Rusutsu comes to mind, it does have a big theme park with roller coasters. Remember Hokkaido has only been settled by the Japanese for around the same time the whiteys have occupied Australia. Hokkaido has always had closer links with the west too I'd say. Sapporo was designed by an American for instance. We do not have the 1000+ year history of Japanese settlement that other parts of Japan have. If you're expecting that old world culture to be reflected in Hokkaido you'll definitely be dissapointed.

Originally Posted By: RobBright
Essentially, people were banished there.

Not surprising Australians find it a home from home...

My impressions: This forum has convinced me that the snow at Niseko is on a different level to Honshu. Other impressions: lively nightlife, everything ozzie-owned, everyone ozzie, crowded slopes, expensive. BTW I've never been but would like to.

Right. My two yen worth.

This carry on about super rowdy nightlife is an exaggeration. Not sure how limited the experiences of some people have been but I love a good night out and the only time I would classify as 'rowdy' was Australia Day. You want rowdy - take yourself to Canada or Europe.

Pet peeve - seasonal workers who think they are hot sh*t. But you get this at any ski resort.

Snow - Sensational and plentiful but gets tracked out quickly.

Locals - Fantastic, friendly. Always stay at a pension.

Why so popular - close as you'll ever get to GUARANTEED quality snow, limited jet lag, lovely people, cool culture - even if you only get a limited taste of it.

Rowdy stuff?

I'm never really out late night there so I have seen close to none.

Just lots of people havings za good taimzu.

At least it is lively, I have heard stories of people in othr popular ski resorts having to search for a place that is actually open and the lights on, never mind a fun and lively time!

to be honest I was pleasantly surprised at the price of things. It would be very easy for them to hike prices up and fleece the tourists but I found that not to be the case. Most beers I had were 500 or 550 yen, the food was about the same, maybe 100 yen more expensive on mountain than at other resorts and the restaurants were well priced. There may well be expensive restaurants and bars there, but the ones we went to weren't any more expensive than the rest of Japan

The roots of the place? It's pretty simple actually. It's in Japan, isn't it? Where is the Japanese aesthetic? Culture? Hospitality? Some may argue it was never there... that's fine(one opinion among many), but it obviously doesn't mean that no effort should be put into at least establishing some. My wife can't even call most of the businesses there because no one in the shop can speak Japanese. The push is obviously to make it look like somewhere in North America or Europe which I think is a shame. I'd personally like to see the birth of a new kind of ski resort that can incorporate a more Japanese feel (whatever that may be).

In another thread I saw some mention of the Signatures video making an impact... as cheesy as the Japanese philosopies and sensibilities are that are mentioned in the film they are truer than the bling-bling attitude and vibe that I get from there now. I don't need history lessons about Hokkaido (or Japan for that matter) but at least I'm aware that with the Japanese settlement of Hokkaido came 1000s of years of tradition. It doesn't make sense to compare the settlement of Hokkaido with the settlement of Australia.

Regarding the Disneyland comment... I'm well aware that there are places that may be more 'Disneyland-esque' but that's not the point I'm trying to make (hell, Disneyland is a lot more like Disneyland if you want to start making odious comparsions). There are also a ton of resorts way less Disneyland-esque but which direction is Niseko moving in? Given time I wouldn't be surprised at all if you are greeted with singing trees and rollercoasters in Niseko.

I thought this thread was for outside impressions of Niseko anyway.

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain

I thought this thread was for outside impressions of Niseko anyway.

Yes it is but does that mean those of us living here can't question comments people make? We obviously have our own views and I'm interested, like D-train in how others perceive the resort. When you talk about the roots of the place this doesn't mean the same thing for everyone. And I don't really understand what you mean by referring it to Disneyland.
I would like to see more of a Japanese aesthetic myself. Like most of Japan though there were few, if any enforceable planning laws or regulations in place here and no overall plan or vision. The village has always been a hodge podge of differently designed structures with no common theme well before the western developments started. I personally think it's a terribly designed and thought out resort village. Certainly one of the worst I've ever been to. Hopefully with things like the NPB we can start seeing a more cohesive vision for the future.

Sorry, I should have been more clear about my comment 'making it like Disneyland'. It's not so much of how it is now but more like what it is being made into. It's not even totally clear to me... but I was thinking about shiny, big, obnoxious (not literally having rollercoasters and such). I don't like the idea of it becoming a big 'international ski destination' because I associated that with lots of negative things (thinking Whistler for example)... Part of my argument was that I didn't like the direction it is going in (and that's because it's a place I plan on going to in the future as well)...

It was really funny the last time I was there because both my friend and I commented on how it's become even more hodge podge now than in the past. A unified vision is what is needed...

I like Niseko, but (I might be the only person on this forum who thinks this) I prefer Rusutsu.

Niseko is a big resort with great snow and a lot of people.

Rusutsu is a big resort with great snow, a lot fewer people and a better lift system in my opinion. Also it seems that anywhere off piste is okay (certainly when I am there it seems that way).

Anyway, back to Niseko. I do like it and think it is a fantastic place to snowboard. When I am in Hokkaido I always go there for at least one day. I have had very few problems with other people and have always had fun on and off the mountain, but I prefer Rusutsu.

I'm well interested in trying out Hokkaido's other big places. Rusutsu comes up time and again for being the same standard of snow with less people, definitely have to go on the list. To be honest BM I didn't think that the village was ugly to look at, on the contrary compared with most japanese towns or cities, which seem to have been put up in the dark with the Architects eyes closed, I thought the village looked quite nice. It wasn't as nice as those ski villages in the European alps but definitely better looking than the average Japanese ski-jo

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
it definitely doesn't have that feel. It was like travelling to Australia without actually travelling there.

I bet some unsuspecting Japanese skiers who go there expecting a 'normal' skijo are pretty shocked when they get there!(?)
Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
The push is obviously to make it look like somewhere in North America or Europe which I think is a shame.

I agree with you there.

I would be great if the emphasis was to make it distinct from that kind of plan, as much as an improvement that would be of course.
Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
You see, that puts me off a bit.

Though I do want to go to try out this snow. Perhaps in conjunction with somewhere else that will tick the other boxes.

The other resorts on Hokkaido will more than liekly give you the same snow without the Gaij invasion....I'd guess. I really wanna explore more places on Hokkaido

I LOVE Rusutsu too- If I could live there and make a decent wage id be all over it. Reminds me of Canada whenever I go.

Great responses so far- thanks everyone.

NOW - speaking of the village and its layout...I rarely have a night off but when I do I quickly realize the options here are ski.drink.watch movies on the laptop. As we continue to grow ( and after this season - we are cemented as a world ski destination)here are a couple of ideas i have-

1) a designated ski out through to the bottom of the village. The village is being revamped and as part woul love to see an access down from the Kogen spilling out to behind bills , under the road and ending down by the escarpment. Would make much more of the village ski out- remove the risk of people using the roads to ski on and give a boost to lower village property values. Heck even run down momoji - and develop as a Euro style apres ski out type place. would involve some car rerouting and access but certainly doable.

2) development of Sunsportsland for tubing and a (semi) indoor ice skating area. Just sits there now and I keep imagining skating under a starry sky with Yotei in the background. That plus hockey! Infrastructure money well spent imho.

3) more retail - especially Japanese high end cosmetics/duty free type electronics/ cool brands (bape etc) and local Hokkaido small ventures. Will take effort on our behalf to promote and come up with workable rental agreements, but the singaporeans and Hkers crave shopping.

4) Niseko ( with Sapps) applies for the 2022 Olympics. Will get the shinkansen and pave the way for the development and revitalization on Hokkaido tourism - 50 years on from 72

would love to hear comments on these ideas both positive and negative ( like " digglar u dumbass" type negative if need be.)

long term thought out planning is the way forward for this place- and for those who say it`ll ruin here - I still got boobies deep today after doing a morning lesson in the guts of CNY and in about two week it`ll be me ,my dog and some j-snowboarders up the hill while we still get dumped on for another month. Progress = sustainability imho, and sustainability = never having to teach eikaiwa again, which suits me just fine biggrin